Some insight into chemistry for me?

In summary, a high school junior shares their experience in taking Honors Chemistry and how it is their lowest grade despite being their most fascinating class. They attribute their low grade to procrastination, not seeking help, and not studying enough. They express their interest in chemical engineering and ask others if they have struggled with a subject in high school but ended up loving it later on. The conversation ends with advice on the importance of good study habits and not letting struggles in a subject deter one from pursuing it in the future.
Ritzycat
Hello friends of Physics forum. I am a high school junior, I will be finishing up finals next week. This year, I took Honors Chemistry, arguably the hardest class i have taken so far. However, I also found it the most fascinating and intriguing class. I am a mathematically oriented person and I love throwing all these formulas around. It is unfortunately my worst grade. I am maintaining all A's this year except chemistry, which is a very low B, on the verge of a C.

I feel my low grade is because I procrastinated with lab write-ups, did not seek to get help when needed, and did not study enough. I never really had to study for any other subjects but when I started to realize chemistry was becoming an issue, it was too late for me to repair it. This is hopefully something I can fix next year in my other upper-level science classes.

I only really care about this because I find chemistry very intriguing and I am considering chemical engineering as a possible major in the future. The stuff we learn in chemistry makes a lot of sense to me and I love the equations and concepts. While this question is more broad in a sense, I am asking for my personal sake in chemistry. Did you struggle with something in high school that you later ended up loving a lot? While my career outlook will probably change in the future, it is hard for me to accept "defeat" against chemistry here.

Thanks for any responses

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its great that you have had your wake up call regarding procrastination, not studying enough and not seeking help in high school. Many students don't have that wake up call until sometime in university and by then real damage has been done.

Your study habits are being molded right now. Do the right thing and you can still excel in university.

Procrastination is a very common issue which many people have. As ModusPwnd said, it is good that you have made the realization and will work on it now. Good study habits are very important to succeed.

Struggling in chemistry even if you enjoy it is usually not a very good reason to not study it. Maybe try a few courses in university and see if you still enjoy it, if not then you can always switch to another major.

Related to Some insight into chemistry for me?

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It is often referred to as the central science because it connects and overlaps with many other fields of science, such as biology, physics, and geology.

2. Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us. It explains the properties and behaviors of different substances, and how they interact with each other. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and technology.

3. How is chemistry used in everyday life?

Chemistry is used in everyday life in many ways. For example, it is used in the production of food, medicines, and household products. It also helps us understand and treat diseases, and it plays a role in creating new materials and technologies.

4. What are the main branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. Organic chemistry deals with the study of carbon-containing compounds, while inorganic chemistry deals with non-carbon compounds. Physical chemistry focuses on the properties and behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular level. Analytical chemistry involves the identification and quantification of substances, and biochemistry is the study of chemical processes within living organisms.

5. How can I learn more about chemistry?

There are many ways to learn more about chemistry, such as taking classes or conducting experiments in a laboratory. You can also read books and articles, watch videos, or attend lectures and seminars. Additionally, there are many online resources available, including interactive simulations and educational websites. It is also helpful to join a chemistry club or study group to discuss and learn from others who share your interest in the subject.