Solving the Ramp Problem: Calculating Force & Friction

In summary: Ah, right, that was you who pointed out the error. I missed that. I thought you were saying I had made the error. Sorry about that.Anyway, the point is that the two expressions should be consistent with each other, and they are.Now let me ask you all to look at this problem again. You can solve it using a whole bunch of equations, but there's a much simpler way to do it, if you think about it. All the forces acting in a direction must sum to zero. So, you can add all the forces acting in one direction, then subtract all the forces acting in the opposite direction, and you'll get a single equation with one unknown. You don
Firben
The problem:

You are lowering two boxes, one on top of the other, down the ramp shown in Figure 5.53 by pulling on a rope parallel to the surface of the ramp. Both boxes move together at a constant speed of 15.0 cm/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the lower box is 0.444, and the coefficient of static friction between the two boxes is 0.800. (a) What force do you need to exert to accomplish this? (b) What are the magnitude and direction of the friction force on the upper box?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53947633@N06/4988606991/

Equations

(2)w = mg
(1)F = uk(m1+m2)g+us*m2g

Solution:

Well i added the two boxes masses to 80 kg and i got the angle to be 27.7 degrees
(1)w = m(tot)*g = 784,8 N

(2)F = uk(m1+m2)g +us*m2*g <==>

F = 599.4 N

The answer should be 57.1 N

Physics news on Phys.org
You are approaching the problem in the wrong way I think. Try resolving the forces in the problem into their components perpendicular and parallel to the plane, which would make life a lot easier for you.

The crates are on a slope, so the forces will have components that are normal to the surface and parallel to the surface. Your force due to friction with the ramp, for example, depends upon the component of the total weight that is perpendicular to (normal to) the ramp.

ƩFy = g(m1+m2)sinα

ƩFx = μk(m1+m2)g*sinα

F = (m1+m2)g(sinα-μkcosα)

Is this right ?

How can i find magnitude and direction of the friction force on the upper box ?

The trig isn't correct, try drawing a free body diagram, it always helps.

You have the frictional force, Fr, which is equal to μN, where N is the force normal to the plane, you have the force parallel to the plane due to the weight of the mass(es) and you have the force of the man pulling on the rope. The boxes are moving at a constant velocity, therefore forces up the plane must equal forces down the plane.

I have plotted a free-body diagram, but how do i know which equation i should use ?

ƩFx = Tcos27.7 (-fk)

ƩFy = Tsin27.7 + n +(-w)

Last edited:
Like I said, calculate the forces in the problem, from that, you should know which forces act up or down the plane, then equate them.

TaxOnFear said:
The trig isn't correct, try drawing a free body diagram, it always helps.

You have the frictional force, Fr, which is equal to μN, where N is the force normal to the plane, you have the force parallel to the plane due to the weight of the mass(es) and you have the force of the man pulling on the rope. The boxes are moving at a constant velocity, therefore forces up the plane must equal forces down the plane.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41102&stc=1&d=1321888834.jpg

I think his trig looks fine. Where do you see a problem?

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 13,653
Is
ƩFy = g(m1+m2)sinα

ƩFx = μk(m1+m2)g*sinα

the right way ?

For the upper box:

ƩFx = Tcos27.7 + (-fk) = 0 <==> Tcos27.7 = μkn

ƩFy = Tsin27.7 + n +(-w) = 0 <==> n=w-Tsin27.7

Firben said:
Is
ƩFy = g(m1+m2)sinα

ƩFx = μk(m1+m2)g*sinα

the right way ?
That looks fine. What answer does it give for F?
For the upper box:

ƩFx = Tcos27.7 + (-fk) = 0 <==> Tcos27.7 = μkn

ƩFy = Tsin27.7 + n +(-w) = 0 <==> n=w-Tsin27.7

For the upper box you won't know what the actual friction force is until you calculate the downslope component of the box's weight and compare it to the maximum static friction. This maximum is calculated just like for static friction: find the normal force and multiply by μs. What happens if the downslope component of the weight exceeds this maximum value?

I got F to be 56,39 N

fs = μn
w1 = 470.88 N

w*cosα*μs = 555,8 N tot (both boxes)

w1*cosα*μs = 222.3 N (upper box)

what am I doing wrong here ?

Firben said:
I got F to be 56,39 N
That's just a little low. Are you carrying enough decimal places through your intermediate steps?
fs = μn
w1 = 470.88 N

w*cosα*μs = 555,8 N tot (both boxes)

w1*cosα*μs = 222.3 N (upper box)

what am I doing wrong here ?

Only the weight of the upper box is pressing down on the lower box. The lower box is only providing the surface. What's the weight of the top box? What's the normal component?

F = (m1+m2)g(sinα-μkcosα) <==>

F = (32+48)9.81*(sin27.7-0.4444cos27.7) = 56

The upper box:

313.92*cos27.7 * 0.800 = 222.3 N

Firben said:
F = (m1+m2)g(sinα-μkcosα) <==>

F = (32+48)9.81*(sin27.7-0.4444cos27.7) = 56
Keep a couple more decimal places in angle value: 27.759°
The upper box:

313.92*cos27.7 * 0.800 = 222.3 N

Okay, that's the maximum value that static friction can be. Now, what's the downslope component of the upper box's weight?

Im not sure

But is it

ƩFy = wCosα ?

Firben said:
Im not sure

But is it

ƩFy = wCosα ?
No, that's the normal component (that you just used to find the maximum friction). What's the component along the slope?

Is it
w*sinα <=>

313.92*sin(27.7) = 145.9 ~146 N

Firben said:
Is it
w*sinα <=>

313.92*sin(27.7) = 145.9 ~146 N

Yes it is.

Again, you should keep additional digits in your angle value. This will prevent rounding errors interfering with your results.

gneill said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=41102&stc=1&d=1321888834.jpg

I think his trig looks fine. Where do you see a problem?

Firben said:
ƩFy = g(m1+m2)sinα

Forgive me if I'm being blatently dumb, but shouldn't that be cosine, and not sine?

TaxOnFear said:
Forgive me if I'm being blatently dumb, but shouldn't that be cosine, and not sine?

Yes, well, it looks like he made a typo in that particular line. Note that he wrote the correct expression for the force directly below:
ƩFy = g(m1+m2)sinα

ƩFx = μk(m1+m2)g*sinα

F = (m1+m2)g(sinα-μkcosα) <-------

which was the point of the exercise.

I agree with that, but he corrected the expression in the post after mine, which I was offline for. Just covering my back here.

Related to Solving the Ramp Problem: Calculating Force & Friction

1. What is the "ramp problem" and why is it important to solve?

The ramp problem refers to calculating the force and friction involved when an object is placed on a ramp and moved up or down. It is important to solve because it helps us understand and predict the motion and stability of objects on inclined surfaces, which has many practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

2. How do you calculate the force on an object on a ramp?

The force on an object on a ramp can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the ramp in radians.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an object on a ramp?

The amount of friction on an object on a ramp is affected by several factors, including the weight and surface area of the object, the type and condition of the surface of the ramp, and the angle of the ramp. Friction can also be affected by external forces such as air resistance and temperature.

4. How does the coefficient of friction play a role in solving the ramp problem?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is an important factor in solving the ramp problem because it helps determine the force needed to keep an object on the ramp from sliding or slipping. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the force required to overcome it.

5. Can the ramp problem be solved using only theoretical calculations or are practical experiments necessary?

The ramp problem can be solved using theoretical calculations, but it is often necessary to conduct practical experiments to verify the results. This is because there are many real-world factors that can affect the forces and friction on an object on a ramp, and these may not always be accurately represented in theoretical calculations.