How Much Force to Lower Two Boxes Down a Ramp at Constant Speed?

In summary, you need to exert a force of 346.05 N to move the boxes down the ramp. The direction of the friction force is 207.7 degrees.
truthlies217

Homework Statement

can someone help me solve this problem .. You are lowering two boxes, one on top of the other, down the ramp shown in Figure 5.53 by pulling on a rope parallel to the surface of the ramp. Both boxes move together at a constant speed of 15.0 cm/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the lower box is 0.444, and the coefficient of static friction between the two boxes is 0.800. (a) What force do you need to exert to accomplish this? (b) What are the magnitude and direction of the friction force on the upper box?

Figure here > http://www.flickr.com/photos/53947633@N06/4988606991/

Homework Equations

Sum of F = m a

The Attempt at a Solution

i just sum the weight of the two boxes to find the force for part one and i still need the acceleration so how can i find it ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi truthlies217! welcome to pf! :smile:
truthlies217 said:
i just sum the weight of the two boxes to find the force for part one …

yup! :biggrin:
and i still need the acceleration so how can i find it ?

hmm, let's see …

"Both boxes move together at a constant speed of 15.0 cm/s." …

so the acceleration is … ? :wink:

opss .. ><

Ok then i found F= 346.05 N for part a and fk= 627.2 for part B the direction is 207.2 degree .. I'm not sure is it right ?

Last edited:
hi truthlies217! :smile:

if you want us to check your results, you need to show us your full calculations :wink:

part A :

mg= 32+48= 80 kg*9.8 = 784N
the angel = shift tan ( 2.50/4.75) = 27.7 degree
/x =784+Cos27.7 + F - Fk = 0.0
/y =784+Sin27.7+n=0.0
so n=784 N
F=784+Cos27.7-(784*0.444) = 346.05 N

part B :

fk=un = (0.800*784)=627.2 N
direction = 27.7 + 180 = 207.7 degree ..

truthlies217 said:
/x =784+Cos27.7 + F - Fk = 0.0
/y =784+Sin27.7+n=0.0
so n=784 N

(please don't use + to mean "times" :frown:)

no, your cos and sin are the wrong way round (you should always check by asking whether it gives the right result if the angle is zero)

and n = 784 N doesn't follow from the previous line anyway

i just found my mistakes .. thanks for the help :)

Related to How Much Force to Lower Two Boxes Down a Ramp at Constant Speed?

1. What is force and friction?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or deform. Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object.

2. How is force and friction related?

Force and friction are related as friction is a force that opposes the motion caused by a force. In other words, friction is the force that acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, making it harder for an object to move.

3. How is force and friction measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) and friction is measured in Newtons as well. Friction is typically measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to move an object on a surface.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The factors that affect the amount of friction between two objects are the nature of the surfaces in contact, the mass and weight of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

5. How can you reduce friction between two objects?

Friction can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother surfaces or by applying a force in the direction opposite to the motion, known as a counterforce.