Solving for Position Vector in Arctan: Exploring the Solution Manual's Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving a problem involving the position and velocity vectors. One method involves using the arctan function and substituting values from a graph, while the other method involves taking the derivative of the position vector and using the arctan function. The confusion arises from the use of the symbol ##\theta## to represent the direction of the velocity vector, which is not intuitive.
ThatDude

Homework Statement

upload_2014-10-11_16-42-0.png

2. The attempt at a solution

I would use the arctan (Position j / Position i) and set it equal to the position vector. Then I would substitute values from the graph to find the variables.

The solution manual, however, takes the derivative of the position vector and then sets it equal to the arctan (Position j / Position i). I don't understand the reasoning behind taking the velocity vector (derivative of position vector) instead of the position vector itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question ?
What are the relevant equations ?
What is your attempt at solution ? Would this, would that ... is not what helps here. If you think that's the right way, then do it and show the results. Or perhaps you are by then convinced that your answer is right and the solution manual is in error (it happens, sometimes!).

In this problem, they're using the symbol ##\theta## to represent the direction of the velocity vector, rather than the circumferential coordinate of the particle. This is an unfortunate choice, since it certainly causes confusion. They should have called it something else, like ##\phi##.

Chet

Likes BvU
Good point by Chet: I am one of the shallow readers who got confused... o:)

BvU said:
Good point by Chet: I am one of the shallow readers who got confused... o:)
Don't beat yourself up. It was a poorly posed problem.

Chet

Related to Solving for Position Vector in Arctan: Exploring the Solution Manual's Approach

1. What is the concept of a position vector in arctan?

A position vector in arctan is a mathematical representation of a point in space, defined by its distance from the origin and its angle from a reference axis. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the location of an object in two or three-dimensional space.

2. How does the solution manual approach solving for position vector in arctan?

The solution manual approach typically involves using trigonometric identities and equations to determine the angle and distance of the position vector. This can include using the inverse tangent (arctan) function to find the angle, and using Pythagorean theorem to find the distance.

3. What are some common problems encountered when solving for position vector in arctan?

Some common problems when solving for position vector in arctan include incorrect use of trigonometric functions, confusion with the reference angle, and difficulty in visualizing the position vector in the given space. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check calculations to avoid errors.

4. Can the position vector in arctan be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the position vector in arctan can be applied to real-world problems in physics and engineering, such as determining the trajectory of a projectile or the position of an object in a coordinate system. It is a useful tool for analyzing and predicting the movement of objects in space.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving for position vector in arctan?

Yes, there are other methods for solving for position vector in arctan, such as using vectors and vector operations, or using Cartesian coordinates. The choice of method may depend on the specific problem and the individual's understanding and preference.