To find the closest approach of two ships

In summary, the ships move with uniform velocities and Q is closest to P when it is heading east of north.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the closest approach of two ships
Relevant Equations
d=st
Could I please ask for help regarding the last part of this question:

At a given instant, a ship P revelling due east at a speed of 30km/h is 7km due north of a second ship Q which is traveling x degrees west of north at a speed of 14km/h, where tan(x)=3/4. Show that the speed of Q relative to P is 40km/h and find the direction of the relative velocity.

The ships continue to move with uniform velocities. Find:

a) The distance between the ships when they are nearest together.
b) The time taken, in minutes, to attain this shortest distance,
c) If initially, the course of Q had been altered to bring the ships as close as possible, the speed of Q and the speed and course of P being unchanged, find the direction of this new course.

I've done the first parts. It is part C that I feel must have a simpler way of being solved than the one I have. Here's me working for part C. First a diagram. to approach as closely as possible Q will need to head say x degrees east of north:

d1.png

Let i and j be unit vectors in the directions east and north respectively.

The position vector of P at time t is:

##r_p=30ti##

The position vector of Q at time t is:

##r_q=14t\,sin(x)\,i + (14t\,cos(x)-7)\,j##

Therfore the position vector of Q relative to P is:

##r_{qp}=r_q-r_p=(14t\,sin(x)-30t)\,i+(14t\,cos(x)-7)\,j##

and so, the distance between P and Q (call this D) is given by:

##D^2=(196t^2sin^2x-840t^2sin(x)+900t^2)+(196t^2cos^2(x)-196t\,cos(x)+49)##

##= 1096t^2-840t^2sin(x)-196t\,cos(x)+49## Call this "Equation (1)"

and so ##\frac{d(D^2)}{dt}=(2192-1680\,sin(x))t-196cos(x)##

and so this is a minimum when:

##t=\frac{196\,cos(x)}{2192-1680sin(x)}=\frac{49\,cos(x)}{584-420\,sin(x)}##

So this is the time at which minimum distance occurs. Next I would have to substitute this value for t into equation (1) to obtain an expression for D^2 in terms of x only, and then choose x so as to minimise this.

Is there an easier way? (ths answer given in the book is x = arcsin(7/15) east of north).

Thanks,
Mitch.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gnits said:
Is there an easier way?
Work in P's reference frame. Represent Q's velocity relative to P as a vector from Q's position to some point R. What is the locus of R? Of all choices of R on that locus, which takes the line QR closest to P?

Thanks very much for your reply, I appreciate it.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the closest approach of two ships?

The closest approach of two ships refers to the minimum distance between the two ships during their encounter or journey.

2. How is the closest approach of two ships calculated?

The closest approach of two ships is calculated using mathematical equations and data such as the ships' positions, velocities, and trajectories. This can be done manually or with the use of computer software.

3. Why is it important to determine the closest approach of two ships?

Determining the closest approach of two ships is crucial for navigation and collision avoidance. It helps to ensure the safety of the ships and their passengers, as well as prevent any potential damage or accidents.

4. What factors can affect the closest approach of two ships?

The closest approach of two ships can be affected by various factors such as weather conditions, sea state, visibility, ship speed and direction, and the accuracy of the data used for calculation.

5. Can the closest approach of two ships be predicted in advance?

Yes, the closest approach of two ships can be predicted in advance using advanced navigation and collision avoidance systems. However, unexpected factors or changes in the ships' course may alter the predicted closest approach.