Solving for multiple unkowns using KVL and KCL equations

In summary, the student is trying to solve for vX, PDEV BY iS1, P ABS BY vS3 (please see attached figure). They have only covered KCL, KVL, Ohm's law and Power in class, so they are having trouble solving the problem. They have a rough idea of what they need to do, but are having trouble getting started.
fredro

Homework Statement

I am asked to solve for vX, PDEV BY iS1, P ABS BY vS3 (please see attached figure). We have only covered KCL, KVL, Ohm's law and Power in class. No Thevinen theorem, so it can't be used to help solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that current will not pass through the 4 Ohm resistor or vS4. My initial hunch was to solve for iQ in terms of vS1 (upper left of figure) and then use that equation to help solve for a KVL with the 3 and 7 ohm resistors and vS3. The result was not pretty and very wrong.

Attachments

• Circuit 1.png
    Circuit 1.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 607
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, it's going to get messy. There are a lot of interrelationships to account for with all the controlled sources. However, to make a start, choose a ground node, label the other important nodes, and see what you can do about writing equations for their voltages in terms of the given information. Here's a suggestion:
attachment.php?attachmentid=38590&stc=1&d=1315258755.gif

The voltage at node D (which is the same as -vQ) will be important. You can write a KCL equation for that node.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 774
Here's what I have so far. Unfortunately, I keep running into nonsensical, trivial answers where my systems keep having coefficients of zero. :confused: I've spent several hours on this problem.

Attachments

• Circuit 1.png
    Circuit 1.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 539
Watch out for the polarities of things. The diagram shows vQ to be the negative of the voltage at your KCL1 node (note the +/- sign locations).

Suppose you take the voltage at node D to be vD. Then [itex] v_Q = -v_D[/itex]. Can you write expressions for the node voltages at A and B (with respect to the ground node that I indicated) in terms of this vD ? (You may need to keep vx as a variable for now).

Here's what I have so far. Unfortunately, I keep running into nonsensical, trivial answers where my systems keep having coefficients of zero. :confused: I've spent several hours on this problem.

Related to Solving for multiple unkowns using KVL and KCL equations

1. How do KVL and KCL equations help solve for multiple unknowns?

KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) and KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) are two fundamental laws of circuit analysis. They are used to describe the relationships between the voltages and currents in a circuit. By applying these laws to a circuit with multiple unknown values, we can create a system of equations that can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the unknowns.

2. What is KVL and how is it used in solving for multiple unknowns?

KVL states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. By applying this law to a circuit with multiple unknown voltages, we can create a system of equations that can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the unknown voltages.

3. How is KCL used to solve for multiple unknowns?

KCL states that the sum of all currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. By applying this law to a node in a circuit with multiple unknown currents, we can create a system of equations that can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the unknown currents.

4. What are the steps for solving for multiple unknowns using KVL and KCL equations?

The steps for solving for multiple unknowns using KVL and KCL equations are as follows:

1. Identify all the unknown voltages and currents in the circuit.
  2. Apply KVL to one or more closed loops in the circuit to create a system of equations.
  3. Apply KCL to one or more nodes in the circuit to create additional equations.
  4. Solve the system of equations simultaneously to find the values of the unknowns.

5. Can KVL and KCL equations be used for any circuit with multiple unknowns?

Yes, KVL and KCL equations can be used to solve for multiple unknowns in any circuit, as long as the circuit is a linear circuit. This means that the components in the circuit (such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors) follow Ohm's law and other linear relationships. Nonlinear circuits may require different methods for solving for unknown values.