How Do You Solve Basic Electric Circuit Analysis Problems with KCL and KVL?

In summary, the circuit diagram has 3 unknown currents and can be solved using 1 KCL equation and 2 KVL equations. The wire with no resistance can be ignored when analyzing the circuit.
wompkins

Homework Statement

tHnc7gz.png

From this circuit diagram assume Vs and R1 through R2 are known.
Find the following:
a) How many unknown currents are there?
b) How many independent equations can be written using KCL?
c) How many independent equations can be derived from KVL equations?

Homework Equations

KCL: Current in - Current out = 0
KVL: Voltage drop around loop should be zero
Ohm's Law: V = iR

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem should not be that difficult but the part that is tripping me up is the middle wire with no resistance in it. Am I correct in assuming that no current will be flowing through it? If so these are the answers I got.

a) 3 unknown currents
b) 1 KCL equation
c) 2 KVL equation

I got (a) from just drawing currents on diagram.

I got (b) from node-voltage which says:
# of KCL eqns = (essential nodes - 1)

Lastly, (c) from mesh-current which says:
# of KVL eqns = branches - (nodes - 1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the currents through R2 and R3 are equal?

wompkins said:
Am I correct in assuming that no current will be flowing through it?
You can draw the circuit diagram without that piece of wire. Just join the ends of R2 R3 R6 and R7 together.

If you solve that circuit to find the currents in those four resistors, count the number of essential nodes, etc, you can answer your own question.

AlephZero said:
You can draw the circuit diagram without that piece of wire. Just join the ends of R2 R3 R6 and R7 together.
Unless, of course, that wire happens to represent an actual wire in a physical actualization of the circuit. In which case you could think of it as a resistor with value ~0 Ohms for purposes of analyzing the circuit.

AlephZero said:

If you solve that circuit to find the currents in those four resistors, count the number of essential nodes, etc, you can answer your own question.

Thank you! I can solve it from there

Related to How Do You Solve Basic Electric Circuit Analysis Problems with KCL and KVL?

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or loop through which an electric current can flow. It is made up of various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and sources such as batteries or generators.

2. What is Ohm's law and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Ohm's law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This law is used in circuit analysis to calculate the current, voltage, or resistance in a circuit given the other two values.

3. What is Kirchhoff's voltage law and how is it applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. It is used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage drops across different components in a circuit and to calculate the voltage at any point in the circuit.

4. What is a series circuit and how do you calculate the total resistance?

A series circuit is a circuit where all components are connected in a single loop. The total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of the individual resistances. This can be calculated using the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

5. What is a parallel circuit and how do you calculate the total resistance?

A parallel circuit is a circuit where the components are connected in multiple branches. The total resistance in a parallel circuit can be calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... The reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances.