Solving Delta G from a Solubility constant

Q = [Ag][I] = (9.1*10^-9)(9.1*10^-9) = 8.3*10^-17In summary, to find ΔG(rxn) for [Ag+]=9.1*10^-9 & [I-]=9.1*10^-9, you can use the equation ΔG=-RT(ln(Q/K)), where Q is the reaction quotient [Ag][I] and K is the solubility constant for AgI(s) at 25 degrees Celsius (8.3*10^-17). By plugging in the values and solving for ΔG, the result is 91.73
[V]
The Solubility Constant for AgI(s) at 25 degrees Celsius is 8.3*10^-17
how do i find [tex]\Delta[/tex]G(rxn) for [Ag+]=9.1*10^-9 & [I-]=9.1*10^-9

Using the equation:
ΔG=ΔGº+RTln(Q)

Let K=Our solubility constant:
0=ΔGº+RTlnK
ΔGº=-RTlnK
Now,
ΔG=-RTlnK+RTlnQ
ΔG=RTlnQ-RTlnK
ΔG=RT(ln(Q/K))

ΔG=-5.67KJ/mol

The answer in my practice exam claims to be 91.7kJ/mol.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
hey, I just did the work, I got 91.73 kj/mol. I don't know why but I think u have to square the K value, try it.

What did you plug in for Q and K?
T=25+273
R=8.31
K = Q/K = 1/([Ag]) = 1/((9.1*10^-9)^2) = 1/(9.1*10^-18)

Related to Solving Delta G from a Solubility constant

What is a solubility constant?

The solubility constant, also known as Ksp, is a measure of the maximum concentration of a solute that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature. It is a constant value for a specific solute and solvent at a specific temperature.

How is delta G related to a solubility constant?

Delta G is the change in Gibbs free energy, which is a measure of the spontaneity of a chemical reaction. It is related to a solubility constant through the equation ΔG = -RTln(Ksp), where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What are the units for a solubility constant?

The units for a solubility constant depend on the specific chemical reaction being measured. However, the most common units are mol/L or mol2/Ln-2, where n is the number of moles of each reactant in the balanced chemical equation.

How can I use a solubility constant to predict the solubility of a compound?

To predict the solubility of a compound, you can use the solubility constant to calculate the maximum concentration of the compound that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature. If the concentration of the compound in the solution is greater than the calculated maximum, then the compound will precipitate out of the solution.

Can a solubility constant change?

Yes, a solubility constant can change with temperature. As the temperature increases, the solubility of a compound usually increases, which results in a higher solubility constant. However, the solubility constant itself is a constant value for a specific solute and solvent at a given temperature.