Solubility and Gibbs free energy Qs

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to solve a problem on a test that they were unsure about. They mention that they don't know where to start and that they are not sure if they should use a given pH or not. They also mention that they know how to solve the problem without a given pH. They then state that the answer might use the common ion effect and that they will try to find out what that is.
LeilaNami

Homework Statement

There are a problems I wasn't sure about on my test. Trying to get answers for ones I had to guess on.

1. What is the maximum [Mg] that can be achieved in an aqueous solution of Mg(OH)2 with a pH=12.50? Ksp (Mg(OH)2)=5.6e-12

2. Determine the max solubility of CaF2 that can dissolve in a 0.10 M HF solution. Given Ksp (CaF2)=1.5e-10 and Ka (HF)= 3.5e-4

3. Consider the reaction below:
N2(g) + 3H2(g) -> 2NH3
The standard free energy change for this reaction is ΔG0 = -33.3 kJ at 25oC. What is the reaction mixture consisting of 0.50 atm N2, 0.50 atm H2 and 10.0 atm NH3?

4. For the following, determine Kp at 25C.
NH4HS (s) <--> H2S (g) + NH3 (g)
ΔH0=83.47 kJ/mol and ΔG0=17.5 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

Ksp = [products]n
Ka = [products]n/[reactants]m
ΔG0=-RTlnK
Kp=Kc(RT)Δn(gas)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I have no idea how to do this one with a certain pH and don't have a clue even where to start. I know how to do this without a given pH however.

2. I think this uses the common ion effect.
HF + H2O <--> F- + H3O
Using the Ka given I found that [F]= 5.74e-3 M
Since this is a common ion, it pushes the reaction back towards CaF2 and so technically, the amount dissolved is the same as [Ca].
CaF2 -> Ca + F2
So Ksp = [2S]2
1.5e-10 = [Ca][(5.74e-3)+2S]2
[Ca]=? I'm not getting one of the answer choices

3.Kp=P(NH3)2/[P(N2) x (P(H2))3]
Kp= 1.6e3
1.6e3 = Kc[(0.0821)(298)]-2
Kc=.958
ΔG = -33.3 + (8.314e-3)(298)ln(.958) = ? Not getting one of the answer choices

4. Not getting anywhere close to one of the answers. Pretty much tried to solve it the same as #3 but in reverse I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. If pH is given you can calculate concentration of [OH-], rest should be obvious - this is a common ion effect.

2. What are possible answers? My bet is that you can ignore F- from the CaF2 dissolution, I tried with and without and the difference was around 0.2%.

--

Related to Solubility and Gibbs free energy Qs

1. What is solubility?

Solubility is the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent. It is typically measured in terms of the maximum amount of a substance that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. How does temperature affect solubility?

Generally, as temperature increases, the solubility of solids in liquids also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the particles to overcome the attractive forces holding them together. However, the solubility of gases in liquids usually decreases with increasing temperature, as the gas particles have more energy to escape from the liquid.

3. What is the relationship between solubility and Gibbs free energy?

The Gibbs free energy is a measure of the amount of energy available to do work in a system. For a process to occur spontaneously, the Gibbs free energy must be negative. In terms of solubility, if the solvation process releases more energy than it requires, the substance will have a negative Gibbs free energy and will be more likely to dissolve in the solvent.

4. How does pressure affect solubility?

For solids and liquids, pressure has little effect on solubility. However, for gases, increasing pressure can increase solubility. This is because at higher pressures, the gas molecules are forced closer together, making it easier for them to dissolve in the liquid.

5. Can you predict the solubility of a substance in a given solvent?

The solubility of a substance in a given solvent cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. It depends on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of both the solute and solvent. However, there are general trends and guidelines that can help make predictions about solubility based on these factors.