Solving a Double Integration Problem with Unknown Variables: How to Proceed?

• Thread starter chetzread
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Yes, an integrand involving x, y, and u is wrong. The integrand must involve only x and y. You must rewrite u in terms of x and y.In summary, the original problem involves expressing all the variables, x and y, in terms of u. The attempt at a solution involved letting u = x^2 + y^2 and attempting to switch the order of integration, but the integrand involved all three variables. The correct approach would be to find a different expression for u in terms of x and y, possibly by using a circle and choosing a more appropriate variable.
chetzread

Homework Statement

in this problem , i couldn't express all the x any y in terms of u( refer to the circled part ) ... so , i have problem to proceed my subsequent steps ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i let u = (x^2) + (y^2) ... [/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20160910_151722.jpg
    IMG_20160910_151722.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Is this the full problem statement ?
Use the template. I can hardly read your -2 lower bound.
Your u is a somewhat unfortunate choice. This whole thing reeks like something with a circle, so don't pick r^2 but pick r.

BvU said:
1. Is this the full problem statement ?
Use the template. I can hardly read your -2 lower bound.
Your u is a somewhat unfortunate choice. This whole thing reeks like something with a circle, so don't pick r^2 but pick r.
what do you mean ? do you mean i pick the u wrongly ? Then , what should be the correct one ?

What is the problem statement ?

BvU said:
What is the problem statement ?
This

Attachments

• o0p.PNG
    o0p.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 407
That is not a problem statement. But I suppose you have to evaluate the integral ?

chetzread said:
what do you mean ? do you mean i pick the u wrongly ? Then , what should be the correct one ?
I said unfortunate and you can read in post #2 what my suggestion for a better choice would be.

Let me give you another hint: draw a picture of the integration limits in the x-y plane

chetzread said:

Homework Statement

in this problem , i couldn't express all the x any y in terms of u( refer to the circled part ) ... so , i have problem to proceed my subsequent steps ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i let u = (x^2) + (y^2) ... [/B]

Just so you know: most helpers will not bother to look at posted images like you have supplied. If you genuinely want help you should take the trouble to actually type out your work. I suggest that you read the message "Guidelines for Students and Helpers" by Vela, which is pinned to the start of this Forum.

Likes BvU
Ray is right (of course, he always is), but I grant you that typesetting something like $$
\int\limits_{-2}^{\ 2} \ \int\limits_0^{\ \ \sqrt{4-x^2}} {x\over\sqrt{x^2+y^2} } \ dy \;dx $$ isn't for the faint-hearted :rolleyes: (*)

Now, how about my suggestion in post #7 ?That ring a bell ?

(*) Right-click the expression and pick Show math as ##\ \ TeX## commands

BvU said:
Ray is right (of course, he always is), but I grant you that typesetting something like $$
\int\limits_{-2}^{\ 2} \ \int\limits_0^{\ \ \sqrt{4-x^2}} {x\over\sqrt{x^2+y^2} } \ dy \;dx $$ isn't for the faint-hearted :rolleyes: (*)

Now, how about my suggestion in post #7 ?That ring a bell ?

(*) Right-click the expression and pick Show math as ##\ \ TeX## commands

This can be done fairly easily also in plain text:
int_{x=-2..2} int_{y=0..sqrt(4-x^2)} x /sqrt(x^2+y^2) dy dx.
That is perfectly readable, although, of course, not as nice as LaTeX. One can even use the formula menu ribbon at the top of the input panel to write it as
∫_{-2..2} ∫_{0..√(4-x2)} x/√(x2+y2) dy dx

or can I integrate in dx dy instead of dydx ?

chetzread said:
or can I integrate in dx dy instead of dydx ?
You can change the order of integration in an iterated integral. Of course, this means that the limits of integration will have to change. And this means that you have to understand the geometric region over which integration is to be performed.

Mark44 said:
You can change the order of integration in an iterated integral. Of course, this means that the limits of integration will have to change. And this means that you have to understand the geometric region over which integration is to be performed.
yes , i know the shape the graph , but it looks like i can't interchange the order of integration... I can't express x in terms of y ..
Well , i keep the dy/dx... Back to the working in post # 1, I'm stucked at couldn't express all the x any y in terms of u( refer to the circled part ) ...
how to continue ? Or is there anything wrong in my working ?

chetzread said:
yes , i know the shape the graph
What graph? You need to understand the shape of the region of integration. I'm not talking about the integrand ##\frac x {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}##, if that's what you meant.
chetzread said:
, but it looks like i can't interchange the order of integration... I can't express x in terms of y ..
You might need to split the integral into two integrals.
chetzread said:
Well , i keep the dy/dx... Back to the working in post # 1, I'm stucked at couldn't express all the x any y in terms of u( refer to the circled part ) ...
how to continue ? Or is there anything wrong in my working ?
Your work is a mess. On the next to last line your integrand involves x, y, and u.

I haven't worked the problem, but switching the order of integration definitely seems like the way to go.

Mark44 said:
What graph? You need to understand the shape of the region of integration. I'm not talking about the integrand ##\frac x {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}##, if that's what you meant.
You might need to split the integral into two integrals.

Your work is a mess. On the next to last line your integrand involves x, y, and u.

I haven't worked the problem, but switching the order of integration definitely seems like the way to go.
i know and understand the shape of the region of integration...
But i still can't proceed although trying many times...Can you show your working so that i can compare mine and yours ...thus , i can know which part i wrong

chetzread said:
i know and understand the shape of the region of integration
Reassure us and post a picture (this time a photo is acceptable; we must compromise now and then :smile: ).

chetzread said:
...thus , i can know which part i wrong
Showing the right way doesn't help in this. But I can tell you where you go wrong ( as was already mentioned:
Mark44 said:
On the next to last line your integrand involves x, y, and u
)

If you want to substitute an integration variable, in this case replace ##dy## by ##du##, you need to
  1. replace the bound of the variable to be substituted by the bound of the new variable: if ##y## runs from ##0## to ##\ \sqrt {4-x^2}\ ##, then ##u## runs from ##0## to ...
  2. eliminate ##y## completely from the expression, meaning you would end up with something like $$
    \int\limits_{-2}^{\ 2} \ \int\limits_0^{\ \ ...} {x\over\sqrt{u}} \ {1\over 2 \sqrt{u-x^2}} \ du \;dx
    $$
Which is equivalent to working from something that looks difficult to something that's nearly impossible.

Does your textbook in the preceding chapter have examples that bear some resemblance to the integral you are trying to evaluate in this thread ? In particular: an example or a discussion involving polar coordinates ?

BvU said:
Reassure us and post a picture (this time a photo is acceptable; we must compromise now and then :smile: ).

Showing the right way doesn't help in this. But I can tell you where you go wrong ( as was already mentioned:

)

If you want to substitute an integration variable, in this case replace ##dy## by ##du##, you need to
  1. replace the bound of the variable to be substituted by the bound of the new variable: if ##y## runs from ##0## to ##\ \sqrt {4-x^2}\ ##, then ##u## runs from ##0## to ...
  2. eliminate ##y## completely from the expression, meaning you would end up with something like $$
    \int\limits_{-2}^{\ 2} \ \int\limits_0^{\ \ ...} {x\over\sqrt{u}} \ {1\over 2 \sqrt{u-x^2}} \ du \;dx
    $$
Which is equivalent to working from something that looks difficult to something that's nearly impossible.

Does your textbook in the preceding chapter have examples that bear some resemblance to the integral you are trying to evaluate in this thread ? In particular: an example or a discussion involving polar coordinates ?

Here

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_185716.jpg
    IMG_20160911_185716.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 339
Thank you for the quick reply. That is step zero.
Next step there: draw a point ##x,y## and guess what the integrand represents in that picture ?

Re next paragraphs in post #16 :
Do you now understand the problems were with your next step ?
Do you feel convinced that your substitution ##u## does not make things easier ?

Did you bother to follow up on my suggestion in post #2 and the reminder in post #9 ?

There were more questions in the last paragraph in post #16.

BvU said:

)

$$

No, so there's no solution for this problem?

There is an easy solution, don't worry.

BvU said:
Do you feel convinced that your substitution uuu does not make things easier ?
yes
BvU said:
BvU said:
Next step there: draw a point x,yx,yx,y and guess what the integrand represents in that picture ?
what do you mean ? do you ask me to draw out
\int\limits_{-2}^{\ 2} \ \int\limits_0^{\ \ \sqrt{4-x^2}} {x\over\sqrt{x^2+y^2} } \ dy \;dx ?

chetzread said:
what do you mean ? do you ask me to draw out
$$\int\limits_{-2}^{\ 2} \ \int\limits_0^{\ \ \sqrt{4-x^2}} {x\over\sqrt{x^2+y^2} } \ dy \;dx $$ ?

No/Yes. The integrand is not the integral. The integrand is $$x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} $$ Take a point ##x,y##; what is ##x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ## ?

BvU said:
No/Yes. The integrand is not the integral. The integrand is $$x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} $$ Take a point ##x,y##; what is ##x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ## ?
the intergrand has nothing to do with the limit , right ?

Right. Did you draw a point ##\ x,y \ ## and consider what ##\
x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ## represents ?

BvU said:
Right. Did you draw a point ##\ x,y \ ## and consider what ##\
x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ## represents ?
I really hv no idea what it represent...

Pity you don't post your drawing ...

do u ask me to draw out ##x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ## ?
If so , i really dun know how to draw it out ...

Last edited by a moderator:
BvU said:
Pity you don't post your drawing ...
this one ?

Attachments

• 374.PNG
    374.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 351
No, this one:

BvU said:
draw a point ##\ x,y \ ## and consider what ##\
x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ## represents

Since words fail me, I will try it with a picture:
upload_2016-9-12_12-24-12.png

[edit] your picture looks cute, but why do you set the ranges to -50,50 instead of x -2,2 and y 0,2 ?

Last edited:
BvU said:
No, this one:
Since words fail me, I will try it with a picture:
View attachment 105789

[edit] your picture looks cute, but wht do you set the ranges to -50,50 instead of x -2,2 and y 0,2 ?
So, how to proceed from ur diagram?

You answer the question
BvU said:
what ##\ x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ##represents

BvU said:
You answer the question
it has no meaning , right ? the author just simply put inside the equation, right ?

You think I annoy you with so many questions when there is no meaning ? What is the sine of the red angle ? What is the cosine ?
upload_2016-9-12_13-46-56.png

BvU said:
You think I annoy you with so many questions when there is no meaning ? What is the sine of the red angle ? What is the cosine ?
View attachment 105794
BvU said:
You answer the question
It's cos theta, so?

chetzread said:
It's cos theta, so?

What do you think?