Solving a DE using an ansatz

Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
Take the ##ans\ddot atz## ##x(t) = At cos(ω_{0}t) + Btsin(ω_{0}t)## and adjust the constants ##A, B##
to solve the DE bellow in the case ##ω = ω_0##.
$$\ddot x + {\omega_0}^2 x=cos(\omega t)$$
Relevant Equations
-
Finding the first and second derivative of out ansatz, $$\dot x(t)=A(cos(\omega_0 t) - t\omega_0 sin(\omega_0 t)) + B(sin(\omega_0 t) + t\omega_0 cos(\omega_0 t))$$ $$\ddot x= A(-2\omega_0 sin(\omega_0 t) - t{\omega_0}^2cos(\omega_0 t)) + B(2\omega_0 cos(\omega_0 cos(\omega_0 t) -t{\omega_0}^2sin(\omega_0 t)))$$
The differential Equation we are trying to find a solution to is, $$\ddot x + {\omega_0}^2 x = cos(\omega_0 t)$$
if we plug in ##\dot x## and ##\ddot x## and after a little simplification we end up with, $$2\omega_0(Bcos(\omega_0 t) - Asin(\omega_0 t)) = cos(\omega_0t)$$
From here we essentially guess A and B such that the LHS=RHS, I can't think of any possible values that could satisfy the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check every step in the algebra, but I see A and B that satisfy the last equation.

Likes PeroK
Hill said:
I didn't check every step in the algebra, but I see A and B that satisfy the last equation.
I initially thought of $$A=sin(\omega_0 t)$$ and $$B=cos(\omega_0 t)$$ using the trig identity, ##cos(2\theta) = cos^2(\theta)-sin^2(\theta)## we get,
$$2\omega_0 cos(2\omega_0 t) = cos(\omega_0 t)$$
but even this doesn't work.

• Wow
Likes Delta2 and PeroK
Hamiltonian said:
I initially thought of $$A=sin(\omega_0 t)$$ and $$B=cos(\omega_0 t)$$ using the trig identity, ##cos(2\theta) = cos^2(\theta)-sin^2(\theta)## we get,
$$2\omega_0 cos(2\omega_0 t) = cos(\omega_0 t)$$
but even this doesn't work.
A and B are constants!

Hamiltonian said:
##2\omega_0(Bcos(\omega_0 t) - Asin(\omega_0 t)) = cos(\omega_0t)##
The above has to be true for all values of the variable t, so it should be clear that the absence of a ##\sin(\omega_0 t)## term on the right side has an effect on that term on the left side.

Mark44 said:
The above has to be true for all values of the variable t, so it should be clear that the absence of a ##\sin(\omega_0 t)## term on the right side has an effect on that term on the left side.
Are you implying, ##A=0## and ##B=\frac{1}{2\omega_0}##

Edit: I shall not show my face around these parts of town henceforth.

Likes PeroK and Delta2

What is an ansatz when solving a differential equation?

An ansatz is a guess or assumption made when solving a differential equation. It involves proposing a form for the solution based on some insight or intuition.

Why is using an ansatz helpful in solving differential equations?

Using an ansatz can simplify the process of solving a differential equation by reducing it to a simpler form. It can also help in finding specific solutions that may not be easily obtained by other methods.

How do you choose an ansatz for a differential equation?

Choosing an ansatz involves making an educated guess based on the form of the differential equation and any known conditions or constraints. It often requires some trial and error to find an ansatz that works.

Can an ansatz be used for all types of differential equations?

An ansatz can be used for a wide variety of differential equations, but its effectiveness may vary depending on the complexity of the equation and the chosen ansatz. In some cases, an ansatz may not lead to a solution, and other methods may be necessary.

What are some common ansatz forms used in solving differential equations?

Some common ansatz forms include exponential functions, trigonometric functions, polynomial functions, and power series. The choice of ansatz form depends on the specific differential equation and the nature of the solution being sought.