Can the Undamped Forced Oscillation Homework Be Solved Using Complex Numbers?

• Thread starter Crush1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary: PLAIN]In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem by complexifying it, but ran into trouble when trying to solve the initial conditions. After struggling with the answer, the student found an answer that worked by negating the original solution.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

[tex] \ddot x +\omega_0 x = \frac{F_0}{m}sin{\omega_0 t} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] y_h=C_1 cos{\omega_0 t} + C_2 sin{\omega_0 t} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, I complexified this problem, hoping to make it easier. I saw that I couldn't let [tex] X_p = Ae^{i \omega_0 t - \frac{\pi}{2}} [/tex] because it was contained in the homogeneous solution. So I tried [tex] X_p = Ate^{i \omega_0 t - \frac{\pi}{2}} [/tex]

I went through the entire song and dance and ended up with [tex] \frac{Ft}{2m \omega_0} cos{\omega_0 t} [/tex]
The answer that works it looks like though is the negative of this solution. I've checked my algebra over and over. I must have maybe made a mistake with my initial pick? Is there something else I should have tried?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the solution to the homogeneous equation can stil be added -- to deal with the intial conditions.
The minus sign is a phase difference that you somehow left out. [edit] sorry, did not leave out: there's a ##\pi/2## in there !

BvU said:
Yes, the solution to the homogeneous equation can stil be added -- to deal with the intial conditions.
The minus sign is a phase difference that you somehow left out.
Do you think I made a mistake in the algebra to come up with the wrong answer? Or is it to do with my "guess"?

Will check, but have to run now...
(Initial: I asssume we can assume :smile: C1=C2 = 0 )

BvU said:
Will check, but have to run now...
(Initial: I asssume we can assume :smile: C1=C2 = 0 )
Thank you for helping! there are initials x(0)=0 and x'(0) =0.

I'm really just after the general form now. With my "luck" I was able to solve the later parts of the problem I'm just interested in how I messed up the answer at the end of this part.

You have a typo in the first equation. ω0 should be squared.
You can not assume the particular solution as A t exp(iω0t-π/2).
Why do you subtract pi/2 from the exponent?
Keep the real notations and assume real particular solution.

Likes BvU
ehild said:
You are correct. The omega should be squared. I was having a lot of trouble early on keeping the particular real. I guess I could try again since I've learned a good deal about this problem over the last several hours, (haha).

If you want to work with complex variables, you need to rewrite the original equation also in complex form. And the trial function should include both exp(iw0t) and exp(-iw0t).

Likes Crush1986
ehild said:

Actually, I'm curious as to why I can't assume an answer of that form? I've seen it a lot. Unless I'm missing a subtle difference here.
I got the idea to try it after failing at trying real answers because they just seemed too messy. I kind of verified that I could try answers of that form from this site http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic251677.files/notes22.pdf

They actually have a very similar problem. I knew I couldn't use their answer because they had a cos originally. I was ok with that though as I was already using a sine in my problem. I just wanted to make sure it was plausible first before spending a lot of time on it.

ehild said:
If you want to work with complex variables, you need to rewrite the original equation also in complex form. And the trial function should include both exp(iw0t) and exp(-iw0t).
Oh, I think I see... I shouldn't try to make the exponential only sine before hand right? I don't know why I was trying that... Ok let me try this and see if it works out better.

If you do it with real variables, you should include both sin and cosine into the particular solution, but one of them will cancel.

I know scans/pictures aren't really liked here, but, it would take me an age to type this out in latex.

I wrote it out neat. Hoping maybe you can point out my mistake. I'm getting confused at some steps here.
[PLAIN]http://[ATTACH=full]199950[/ATTACH] [PLAIN][PLAIN]http://[ATTACH=full]202428[/ATTACH] [url=http://postimg.org/image/ebhk70ndl/][ATTACH=full]199952[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• diffeq.jpg
    diffeq.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 324
  • url].jpg
    url].jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 279
  • diffeq.jpg
    diffeq.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 161
  • url].jpg
    url].jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 137
  • PLAIN]%20[Broken]%20[Broken].jpg
    PLAIN]%20[Broken]%20[Broken].jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
Crush1986 said:
Oh, I think I see... I shouldn't try to make the exponential only sine before hand right? I don't know why I was trying that... Ok let me try this and see if it works out better.
It depends how you write the original equation in complex form. If you take the right-hand side as the imaginary part of F0/m sin(w0t), You need exp(iw0t) only. But don't forget to take the imaginary part at the end.

ehild said:
It depends how you write the original equation in complex form. If you take the right-hand side as the imaginary part of F0/m sin(w0t), You need exp(iw0t) only. But don't forget to take the imaginary part at the end.
What do you mean, "take the imaginary part at the end" Can I just say I want the imaginary part and take that as my real answer?

Crush1986 said:
I know scans/pictures aren't really liked here, but, it would take me an age to type this out in latex.

I wrote it out neat. Hoping maybe you can point out my mistake. I'm getting confused at some steps here.
[PLAIN]http://[ATTACH=full]199953[/ATTACH] [PLAIN][PLAIN]http://[ATTACH=full]202429[/ATTACH] [URL='http://postimg.org/image/ebhk70ndl/'][ATTACH=full]199955[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
sin(w[SUB]0[/SUB]t) is not equal to exp(i(w[SUB]0[/SUB]t-pi/2))

Attachments

• url].jpg
    url].jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 142
  • url].jpg
    url].jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 284
  • diffeq.jpg
    diffeq.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 166
  • PLAIN]%20[Broken]%20[Broken].jpg
    PLAIN]%20[Broken]%20[Broken].jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
Crush1986 said:
What do you mean, "take the imaginary part at the end" Can I just say I want the imaginary part and take that as my real answer?
Yes. But you have to write the RHS in complex form.

ehild said:
sin(w0t) is not equal to exp(i(w0t-pi/2))
That is the part I'm struggling with. You're saying I should just write that expression without the phase shift?

sin(wt) is the imaginary part of what?

ehild said:
Yes.
Mind blowing. Ok... then I just write the expression without the phase shift, I keep the unreal cosine part, the answer is negative and it works. Why can I do that?

] I don't know if I'm quite understanding. Is the reworked version here right?

Last edited:
In case of a linear equation, you can take the real part and the imaginary part separately, both are valid.
The original equation can be taken as the imaginary part of the eq. ##\ddot z +ω_0^2 z = F/m e^{iω_0 t}##
I suggest to solve with real variables. It is less confusing.

ehild said:
In case of a linear equation, you can take the real part and the imaginary part separately, both are valid.
The original equation can be taken as the imaginary part of the eq. ##\ddot z +ω_0^2 z = F/m e^{iω_0 t}##
I suggest to solve with real variables. It is less confusing.
When I was trying that earlier I kept screwing up on the derivatives, keeping the terms correct. I heard that this might be easier.

So I can always check both the real and imaginary parts to see if one of them works? What is on that paper is correct??

Crush1986 said:
] I don't know if I'm quite understanding. Is the reworked version here right?
diffeq.jpg
It is correct now.

ehild said:
It is correct now.
Wow, that is nuts. I never knew you could just take the imaginary part if it suited you. Thanks!

That sine just threw me off... ugh.

Crush1986 said:
Wow, that is nuts. I never knew you could just take the imaginary part if it suited you. Thanks!

That sine just threw me off... ugh.
It suited to the equation :smile:

ehild said:
It suited to the equation :smile:
Yeah, hours before I saw that. I just thought my professor would laugh his face off if he saw me try that, I figured I was missing an i somewhere. I guess it's ok... HAHA.

The problem was that you substituted the RHS with something it was not equal to. sin(wt) can be written as Im(e(iw0t)), the LHS is ##Im(\ddot z + w_0^2 z)##. You find the solution of the equation in the exponential form, and then take the imaginary part.

ehild said:
The problem was that you substituted the RHS with something it was not equal to. sin(wt) can be written as Im(e(iw0t)), the LHS is ##Im(\ddot z + w_0^2 z)##. You find the solution of the equation in the exponential form, and then take the imaginary part.
Yup. This was my exact thoughts as I was going to sleep and thinking about this. We had done something similar in class and it dawned on me that that is how I needed to sub for sine, it made perfect sense then.

Related to Can the Undamped Forced Oscillation Homework Be Solved Using Complex Numbers?

1. What is undamped forced oscillation?

Undamped forced oscillation is a type of oscillation where the amplitude remains constant over time, and the oscillation is caused by an external force.

2. How is the motion affected in undamped forced oscillation?

In undamped forced oscillation, the motion is only affected by the external force and not by any other factors, such as friction or resistance. This results in a constant amplitude and frequency of oscillation.

3. What is the equation for undamped forced oscillation?

The equation for undamped forced oscillation is x(t) = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How is the frequency of undamped forced oscillation determined?

The frequency of undamped forced oscillation is determined by the angular frequency, ω, which is equal to the square root of the ratio between the external force and the mass of the oscillating object.

5. What are some real-life examples of undamped forced oscillation?

Some real-life examples of undamped forced oscillation include a child swinging on a swing set, a pendulum in a clock, and a mass attached to a spring and being pulled up and down by an external force.