Solving a classical problem using quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discussed using quantum mechanics to solve for projectile motion and vibrations in a string, and whether it could also be applied to vibrations in a solid ring. The potential use of solid mechanics for the ring was also mentioned.
vishal007win
I came across a discussion on net recently, where projectile motion was solved using the quantum mechanical approach.
[PLAIN]http://www.physics.csbsju.edu/QM/fall.14.html[/PLAIN]
I have already seen solution of the vibrations in string using quantum mechanics.
I want to ask can i use quantum mechanics to find the vibrations in ring. if there is any text on this stuff available, please let me know. Need a little guidance before starting the rigorous calculation process.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vishal007win said:
I came across a discussion on net recently, where projectile motion was solved using the quantum mechanical approach.
[PLAIN]http://www.physics.csbsju.edu/QM/fall.14.html[/PLAIN]
I have already seen solution of the vibrations in string using quantum mechanics.
I want to ask can i use quantum mechanics to find the vibrations in ring. if there is any text on this stuff available, please let me know. Need a little guidance before starting the rigorous calculation process.
Thank you

Wouldn't it be exactly the same as for the string except with continuous boundary conditions on the edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i forgot to mention. By ring it meant a solid ring, whose vibration analysis will require the knowledge of solid mechanics. So now you see nature of problem differs entirely.

Related to Solving a classical problem using quantum physics

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of science that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other at the quantum level.

What is a classical problem?

A classical problem is a problem that can be solved using classical physics, which is the branch of physics that deals with objects and phenomena that are larger than atoms. Most everyday problems can be solved using classical physics.

How can quantum physics be used to solve classical problems?

Quantum physics can be used to solve classical problems by using the principles and equations of quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and systems that are usually described by classical physics. This allows for a more accurate and detailed understanding of the problem and its solution.

What are some examples of classical problems that have been solved using quantum physics?

One example is the problem of energy loss in electronic devices. By using quantum mechanics, scientists have been able to develop more efficient transistors that reduce energy loss and improve performance. Another example is the development of quantum computers, which use the principles of quantum physics to solve complex problems much faster than classical computers.

What are the potential benefits of using quantum physics to solve classical problems?

The potential benefits include more accurate and efficient solutions to problems, as well as the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as computing, energy, and medicine. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy.