What is the biggest problem to be solved in Quantum Physics in 2023?

In summary: The Planck scale is accessible for experiments today, but we would need to develop extremely advanced technology to do so. The Planck scale is accessible for experiments today, but we would need to develop extremely advanced technology to do so.
Meir Achuz said:
The best thing about SI units is that you don't have to use them unless you teach elementary physics or want to sell a book. Rather than try to remember muzero, try to remember ##\mu_0/4\pi##, which is easier. You just have to know how many nines there. I think the reason they didn't use the parallel wire force to define the ampere, is that they still don't understand electromagnetism.
When teaching elementary physics, of course I use Heaviside Lorentz or even natural units :-).

• Haha
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Meir Achuz said:
If something has been ##10^{-7}## for so many years, why change it?
Because of improvements in measurement technologies, that make it more accurate to fix the values of other constants.

Meir Achuz said:
SI shows 'they' don't understand electromagnetism.
No, it shows that you don't understand the rationales underlying the SI system of units.

Likes vanhees71 and Motore
PeterDonis said:
Because of improvements in measurement technologies, that make it more accurate to fix the values of other constants.No, it shows that you don't understand the rationales underlying the SI system of units.
You are right.

Meir Achuz said:
You are right.
The definition of a unit does not have to be the most accurate way to measure it.

Meir Achuz said:
The definition of a unit does not have to be the most accurate way to measure it.
Why wouldn’t you choose the most accurate way?

Then the definition would change as a more accurate way was determined.
The definition of the ampere instead of the coulomb would just change the number for the coulomb as more experimental accuracy were obtained instead of changing $$\mu_0/4\pi##.

Meir Achuz said:
Then the definition would change as a more accurate way was determined.
Yes, which is what happens with most systems of units, including SI units.

You still have not stated what, exactly, the problem is with this. The fact that you don't appear to like it is not a problem for anyone but you.

The SI uses trial and error.
And that's very true!
Fixation, light speeds, electric charge values are direct hits.
Boltzmann's constant tightly binds temperature to energy.

However, it is not correct to fix changing values - this is an error.
But the error is correctable.
Such "constants" early - electric and magnetic, now - Planck , Stefan-Boltzmann "constant".
The accuracy of measuring such "constants" has already reached the desired level.
It is well known that the system of natural units (c, h, e, ... ) is not closed. And it does not close with G, the gravitational constant, (although G is the true constant)
But there is an opportunity to close it.
This solves the basic problem of quantum metrology.

Meir Achuz said:
Why, do you think, did it take so long to redefine the SI? Of course, it's important that the redefinition doesn't change the units more than necessary, and that's why the now fixed values of the fundamental constants (as well as ##\Delta \nu_{\text{Cs}}##) are chosen such as to make the new definition of the Ampere and the other basic units as accurately as possible the same as given by the older one.

How did the discussion of the biggest problems turned into a discussion of units?

Likes pinball1970, aaroman, gentzen and 4 others
Demystifier said:
How did the discussion of the biggest problems turned into a discussion of units?
This is PF, where we take any opportunity to detour into metrology.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, physika and vanhees71
Demystifier said:
It's now accepted for publication.
I know you don't have the full answer, but in section 6 you sketch and emergence for 4D diff but a perturbation around a flat metric, like in perturbative string theory? My question is - in your own thinking that is - is your "vision" that you also want to explain the emergence of spacetime dimenstionality (ie. why 4D?) or do you picture this 4D structure as given, and it's just the general metric that is emergence?

/Fredrik

Fra said:
I know you don't have the full answer, but in section 6 you sketch and emergence for 4D diff but a perturbation around a flat metric, like in perturbative string theory? My question is - in your own thinking that is - is your "vision" that you also want to explain the emergence of spacetime dimenstionality (ie. why 4D?) or do you picture this 4D structure as given, and it's just the general metric that is emergence?

/Fredrik
No, I have no idea how to explain the 4-dimensionality.

Likes vanhees71