Solve for x: Trigonometry Equation

• B
  • Thread starter Eugen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trignometry
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a physics problem involving an equation with the unknown variable x. They have provided the equation and are asking if it is possible to find the value of x given the known values A and B. The person admits to not having formal training in physics or math and is seeking help in solving the problem. However, it is determined that the question is similar to a schoolwork question and the person is directed to post it in the Homework Help forums.
Eugen
While solving a problem I arrived at this equation:
sin(x) / ( A - cos(x) ) = B

A and B are known values. Is it possible to get x?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Eugen said:
While solving a problem I arrived at this equation:
sin(x) / ( A - cos(x) ) = B

A and B are known values. Is it possible to get x?
Is this a schoolwork question? What is the context of the problem you are wanting to solve?

I'm trying to solve a physics problem which asks the value of an angle. The equation is this:

sin θ / ( -2cos 20 - cos θ) = tan 20

Eugen said:
I'm trying to solve a physics problem which asks the value of an angle. The equation is this:

sin θ / ( -2cos 20 - cos θ) = tan 20
You did not answer my question directly. You know the PF rules. Is this question for schoolwork? If not, why are you a working physicist who cannot figure this out?

Oh, no, I don't have any formal training in physics (or math). :)) I'm just trying to resolve a physics problem and I always get stuck in trigonometry equations. So it's not schoolwork I guess.

Eugen said:
Oh, no, I don't have any formal training in physics (or math). :)) I'm just trying to resolve a physics problem and I always get stuck in trigonometry equations. So it's not schoolwork I guess.
But it is still schoolwork-like, so the PF rules require that you post this in the Homework Help forums, and fill out the HH Template. That includes you writing out what you think the Relevant Equations are, and showing your Attempt at the Solution. That is how the PF works.

Related to Solve for x: Trigonometry Equation

1. What is the process for solving a trigonometry equation for x?

The process for solving a trigonometry equation for x involves using the inverse trigonometric functions and the properties of trigonometric ratios to isolate and solve for x. This typically includes applying the inverse sine, cosine, or tangent function to both sides of the equation, using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation, and then solving for x using basic algebraic techniques.

2. Can you provide an example of solving a trigonometry equation for x?

Sure, let's say we have the equation sin(x) = 0.5. We can apply the inverse sine function to both sides to get x = sin^-1(0.5). Using a calculator, we find that sin^-1(0.5) = 30 degrees or π/6 radians, so the solution is x = 30 degrees or x = π/6 radians.

3. How do you know if there are multiple solutions to a trigonometry equation for x?

There may be multiple solutions to a trigonometry equation for x if the equation contains multiple trigonometric functions, such as sin(x) + cos(x) = 1. In this case, there are an infinite number of solutions because the sine and cosine functions repeat every 360 degrees or 2π radians. Additionally, some equations may have extraneous solutions, which are solutions that do not satisfy the original equation when substituted back in.

4. What should I do if I encounter a trigonometry equation with identities or multiple trigonometric functions?

If a trigonometry equation has identities or multiple trigonometric functions, the first step is to simplify the equation using trigonometric identities. This can help to reduce the equation to a form that is easier to solve. Then, you can apply the inverse trigonometric functions and solve for x using algebraic techniques.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry equations for x?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry equations for x. One is forgetting to apply the inverse trigonometric function to both sides of the equation. Another is incorrectly using the inverse function, such as using sin^-1 instead of cos^-1. It's also important to carefully check your solutions as there may be extraneous solutions or solutions that require different units (degrees vs. radians) than what was given in the original equation.