A Simpler Way to Find the Shaded Area?

In summary, the question asks for the fastest way to determine the percentage of the total area of the shaded purple region, given that points M and N are midpoints of their respective line segments. After some analysis, the purple shaded area is determined to be 5%, but it took a long time to prove mathematically. The question asks for a simpler way to solve using just geometry/trigonometry. The solution involves breaking down the area into smaller triangles and quadrilaterals, and using their respective areas to calculate the percentage.
Saracen Rue
TL;DR Summary
Is there an easier way to determine what percentage of this square is bound by the shaded area of 4 line segments
Consider the following scenario:
20230127_222828.png

Given that points ##M## and ##N## are the midpoints of their respective line segments, what would be the fastest way to determine what percentage of the squares total area is shaded purple?

I managed to determine that the purple shaded area is ##5\text{%}## as per my working below:
20230127_222843.png

The only real problem I had with this is that it took me a genuinely long time to figure out. After I drew it up by hand, I suspected that line segment ##EG## was roughly equal to ##\frac{a}{3}## from visual inspection alone, and I did use a ruler to confirm this. However, it took me quite a while to prove it was mathematically.

I feel as though there must be a simpler way to go about solving the question using just geometry/trigonometry (I do realise that it'd probably be easy enough to solve if you put this on a Cartesian Plane with ##A## at the origin, but I wanted to try avoiding that method if possible), and if so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Likes Drakkith
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Say square ABCD=1
quadrilateral EFGH = ##\triangle## ACM - ##\triangle## AEF - quadrilateral HCMG
where
##\triangle##ACM=1/4,
##\triangle## AEF = ##\triangle## AEN - ##\triangle## AFN = 1/12 - 1/20,
quadrilateral HCMG = ##\triangle##CHD-##\triangle## GDM = 1/4 - 1/12.

Last edited:

1. What is a simpler way to find the shaded area?

A simpler way to find the shaded area is by using the formula A = bh, where A represents the area and b represents the base of the shaded region and h represents the height of the shaded region.

2. How do I determine the base and height of the shaded region?

The base and height of the shaded region can be determined by identifying the shape of the shaded region and measuring the corresponding sides. For example, if the shaded region is a rectangle, the base and height can be determined by measuring the length and width of the rectangle.

3. Can this method be used for any shape?

Yes, this method can be used for any shape as long as the base and height of the shaded region can be determined.

4. Are there any limitations to using this method?

This method may not be accurate for shapes with curved or irregular boundaries. In these cases, other methods such as integration may be more appropriate.

5. Can this method be used to find the area of overlapping shapes?

Yes, this method can be used to find the area of overlapping shapes by breaking down the overlapping region into smaller, non-overlapping shapes and finding the area of each shape separately, then adding them together.