How Effective Are Current Martian Shelter Designs Against X-Class Solar Flares?

In summary, the conversation discusses the radiation levels on Mars and the potential dangers they pose to astronauts, as well as the presence of perchlorate in the soil and the challenge of keeping it out of habitats. The possibility of using bacteria to break down perchlorate is also mentioned, but more research is needed before it can be deemed a viable solution.
Dr Wu
Hi

I've not seen "The Martian" yet, but I have followed some of the online comments about the supposed radiation levels the film's protagonist would experience whilst stranded on Mars. By "radiation", I assume this to comprise of the solar wind and cosmic rays, both of which, I gather - aside from the occasional GRB event - bombard the surface of Mars at a rate averaging around 30 mSv per hour during a typical solar minimum. To date, however, I can find nothing that describes what the radiation levels would be were a truly powerful – i.e. X-class – solar flare, to strike the Martian surface. I ask this question because as a result of all the talk about lengthy manned explorations of Mars planned for the 2030s, I do wonder what sort of additional protection (if any?) would be needed to shield astronauts from such solar outbursts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Radiation is just one problem.

The martial soil contains perchlorate, which is poisonous as well. Dealing with keeping that out of the habitats will be a challenge.

Yes, about the calcium perchlorite: I did read somewhere a little while back about researchers having discovered a variety of bacteria that can (or else has the potential to) break down this metallic salt into its constituent components. In doing so it releases oxygen into the air - an added boon in the Martian context. Nonetheless, the process is not as straightforward as I've suggested. More work apparently needs to be done before this method is deemed viable. Still, watch this space, as they say. I can't find the website off the top of my head right now. But I do recall it originating from microbeworld.org.

Related to How Effective Are Current Martian Shelter Designs Against X-Class Solar Flares?

1. What is a solar flare?

A solar flare is a sudden, intense burst of radiation from the Sun's surface. It is caused by a rapid release of magnetic energy, and can be seen as a bright flash of light in the Sun's atmosphere.

2. How do solar flares/CMEs affect Mars?

Solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) can have various effects on Mars, including changes in atmospheric density and temperature, as well as disruptions in the planet's magnetic field. They can also cause auroras to appear in the Martian atmosphere.

3. Can solar flares/CMEs damage Mars' surface?

Solar flares and CMEs can cause changes in the Martian atmosphere and magnetic field, but they are not strong enough to directly damage the planet's surface. However, they can indirectly affect the surface by changing the planet's atmospheric conditions.

4. How do we monitor solar flares/CMEs that may strike Mars?

We can monitor solar flares and CMEs using various instruments, such as telescopes and satellites, that can detect changes in the Sun's activity. We can also track the path of these events using models and simulations.

5. What precautions should be taken if a solar flare/CME is predicted to strike Mars?

If a solar flare or CME is predicted to strike Mars, precautions should be taken to protect any spacecraft or rovers on the planet's surface. This could include temporarily shutting down non-essential systems and minimizing exposure to the event's radiation.