Solar eclipse portal movie

Ephant
Once decades ago I watched a movie where solar eclipse made a woman vanished standing in a tree. Then she appeared during the next solar eclipse. Anyone remember the title of the movie?

I'd like to watch any solar eclipse movie where portals were opened during the eclipse. Do you have any in mind? Where does this myth come from about solar eclipse able to open portals?

Physics news on Phys.org
I asked ChatGPT for its top 25 likeliest movies with people vanishing during an eclipse. Several look relatively close to your description.
  • Vanishing on 7th Street (2010) - A mysterious blackout occurs in a city after a solar eclipse, causing people to vanish without a trace.
  • The Langoliers (1995) - Based on a Stephen King novella, passengers on a red-eye flight wake up to find themselves alone in a world where everyone else has disappeared during a solar eclipse.
  • Knowing (2009) - A teacher discovers a time capsule that predicts major disasters, including a solar flare and subsequent solar eclipse that lead to people vanishing.
  • Nightfall (1988) - In this made-for-TV movie, a group of people witness a solar eclipse that causes individuals to disappear.
  • Into the Night (1985) - A solar eclipse sets the stage for a series of mysterious events, including people disappearing, in this comedy-thriller.
  • Gone (2012) - While not directly about a solar eclipse, the film revolves around a woman whose sister vanishes, and she believes the perpetrator may have been involved in a solar eclipse viewing event.
  • Demonstone (1989) - A solar eclipse triggers supernatural occurrences, including people being pulled into another dimension.
  • Night of the Comet (1984) - A comet's passing causes most of Earth's population to vaporize, leaving behind only a few survivors.
  • The Eclipse (2009) - While not directly involving people vanishing during a solar eclipse, it is a supernatural thriller set against the backdrop of a literary festival during a solar eclipse.
  • Shadowzone (1990) - A solar eclipse causes bizarre occurrences in an underground research facility, leading to people vanishing.
  • Midnight Chronicles (2009) - In this fantasy film, a solar eclipse heralds the return of dark forces, leading to people vanishing or being corrupted.
  • The Girl from Tomorrow (1990) - A young girl time travels from the year 3000 to 1990 during a solar eclipse, encountering people who vanish from her time period.
  • The Eclipse of Taregna (2013) - An Indian film depicting the cultural significance of solar eclipses in a small village, where people's superstitions lead to mysterious vanishings.
  • The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001) - A family-run inn faces a series of challenges, including people disappearing during a solar eclipse, in this offbeat musical comedy-horror.
  • Forbidden World (1982) - A solar eclipse plays a role in the plot, leading to strange occurrences and people vanishing on a remote research station.
  • 2012: Supernova (2009) - A scientist discovers a solar flare that will cause a cataclysmic event during an upcoming solar eclipse, leading to the disappearance of people and Earth's impending destruction.
  • The Demon’s Rook (2013) - A young boy becomes entangled in a battle between ancient demons and a secret society during a solar eclipse, leading to people vanishing.
  • The Living and the Dead (2006) - A solar eclipse serves as a catalyst for supernatural occurrences, including people vanishing, in this British horror film.
  • The Rapture (1991) - While not directly related to a solar eclipse, the film deals with themes of vanishing and the end times, with some religious imagery reminiscent of eclipses.
  • Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970) - In the sequel to "Planet of the Apes," a solar eclipse plays a crucial role in the plot, leading to dramatic events and characters disappearing.
  • Mirage (1990) - A solar eclipse triggers time anomalies, leading to people vanishing and reappearing in different time periods.
  • Shadow Play (1986) - In this horror film, a solar eclipse unleashes a wave of terror, including people vanishing mysteriously.
  • Interstellar (2014) - While not directly involving a solar eclipse, the film features a scene where characters are affected by time dilation near a massive black hole, creating a similar effect of people vanishing.
  • The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009) - While not related to a solar eclipse, the film revolves around the sudden disappearance of a young woman, exploring themes of abduction and vanishing.
  • The Lost Future (2010) - A solar eclipse leads to a post-apocalyptic world where people have vanished or mutated due to a deadly virus.

• Wow
Likes Ephant and DaveC426913
Borg said:
I asked ChatGPT
How many of them are actual movies?

• Haha
Likes Borg and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
How many of them are actual movies?
I wouldn't post GPT results blindly. I did check a few but not all. And some, like Interstellar and Knowing I have seen.

Borg, what exact phases did you use to search for them? I haven't used ChatGPT before because a bit nervous so I asked my first question and quite relieved now.

chatgpt.JPG

My second question is "what movies have solar eclipse portal and people vanishing". I only got 3 results. What phrases did you exactly use to make that big lists so I know how to ask it as I'm quite impressed by it.

I deleted the conversation but you can tell it to give you more results. I think that I wrote something like "please list 25 movies where people disappear during a solar eclipse". Also, ChatGPT is able to use previous questions and answers within a conversation in order to determine following answers. That allows you to drill down or clarify on its answer by asking for more detail, more possible movies, etc. From what I've seen, it's mostly limited by a person's ability to ask detailed questions.

I really need to do an Insight article on this topic using the 100+ conversations that I have... :oldeyes:

Borg said:
I asked ChatGPT for its top 25 likeliest movies with people vanishing during an eclipse. Several look relatively close to your description.
  • Vanishing on 7th Street (2010) - A mysterious blackout occurs in a city after a solar eclipse, causing people to vanish without a trace.
  • The Langoliers (1995) - Based on a Stephen King novella, passengers on a red-eye flight wake up to find themselves alone in a world where everyone else has disappeared during a solar eclipse.
  • Knowing (2009) - A teacher discovers a time capsule that predicts major disasters, including a solar flare and subsequent solar eclipse that lead to people vanishing.
  • Nightfall (1988) - In this made-for-TV movie, a group of people witness a solar eclipse that causes individuals to disappear.
  • Into the Night (1985) - A solar eclipse sets the stage for a series of mysterious events, including people disappearing, in this comedy-thriller.
  • Gone (2012) - While not directly about a solar eclipse, the film revolves around a woman whose sister vanishes, and she believes the perpetrator may have been involved in a solar eclipse viewing event.
  • Demonstone (1989) - A solar eclipse triggers supernatural occurrences, including people being pulled into another dimension.
  • Night of the Comet (1984) - A comet's passing causes most of Earth's population to vaporize, leaving behind only a few survivors.
  • The Eclipse (2009) - While not directly involving people vanishing during a solar eclipse, it is a supernatural thriller set against the backdrop of a literary festival during a solar eclipse.
  • Shadowzone (1990) - A solar eclipse causes bizarre occurrences in an underground research facility, leading to people vanishing.
  • Midnight Chronicles (2009) - In this fantasy film, a solar eclipse heralds the return of dark forces, leading to people vanishing or being corrupted.
  • The Girl from Tomorrow (1990) - A young girl time travels from the year 3000 to 1990 during a solar eclipse, encountering people who vanish from her time period.
  • The Eclipse of Taregna (2013) - An Indian film depicting the cultural significance of solar eclipses in a small village, where people's superstitions lead to mysterious vanishings.
  • The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001) - A family-run inn faces a series of challenges, including people disappearing during a solar eclipse, in this offbeat musical comedy-horror.
  • Forbidden World (1982) - A solar eclipse plays a role in the plot, leading to strange occurrences and people vanishing on a remote research station.
  • 2012: Supernova (2009) - A scientist discovers a solar flare that will cause a cataclysmic event during an upcoming solar eclipse, leading to the disappearance of people and Earth's impending destruction.
  • The Demon’s Rook (2013) - A young boy becomes entangled in a battle between ancient demons and a secret society during a solar eclipse, leading to people vanishing.
  • The Living and the Dead (2006) - A solar eclipse serves as a catalyst for supernatural occurrences, including people vanishing, in this British horror film.
  • The Rapture (1991) - While not directly related to a solar eclipse, the film deals with themes of vanishing and the end times, with some religious imagery reminiscent of eclipses.
  • Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970) - In the sequel to "Planet of the Apes," a solar eclipse plays a crucial role in the plot, leading to dramatic events and characters disappearing.
  • Mirage (1990) - A solar eclipse triggers time anomalies, leading to people vanishing and reappearing in different time periods.
  • Shadow Play (1986) - In this horror film, a solar eclipse unleashes a wave of terror, including people vanishing mysteriously.
  • Interstellar (2014) - While not directly involving a solar eclipse, the film features a scene where characters are affected by time dilation near a massive black hole, creating a similar effect of people vanishing.
  • The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009) - While not related to a solar eclipse, the film revolves around the sudden disappearance of a young woman, exploring themes of abduction and vanishing.
  • The Lost Future (2010) - A solar eclipse leads to a post-apocalyptic world where people have vanished or mutated due to a deadly virus.
I have reviewed each of the title. But in the actual description, it was not about solar eclipse. Did someone write those descriptions about the solar eclipse or is the Chat AI putting those words together? For example:

Nightfall (1988)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095738/

"Far across the cosmos from our world lies a planet bathed in perpetual daylight. Soon nightfall will come and bring with it tremendous destruction. Science struggles against superstition in this dramatic portrayal of Isaac Asimov's award winning short story."

That was completely generated by ChatGPT. You do have to verify stuff and should never assume that it's 100% correct.

Borg said:
never assume that it's 100% correct.
Or 50% correct. Or...

The way ChatGPT works is by accident. The developers try to increase the accident rate.

I wouldn't say that it's that bad. I find it extemely useful and use it almost every day. Where I once would perform a Google search and try to find the answer that was closest to my question (sometimes for hours), I can instantaneously get a better answer that is specific to my question.

Yes, I still have to validate the response and often have to guide it, step back on my question a bit or some other modification to my query in order to get the best answer but it is far more useful than Google or Stack Overflow ever were. It has suggested python libraries that I've never seen with elegant solutions that usually work and I don't remember that last time that I got a code hallucination.

Honestly, I wish more people were half as intelligent.

Borg said:
That was completely generated by ChatGPT. You do have to verify stuff and should never assume that it's 100% correct.

ChatGPT can generate sentences on its own? It's scary. What if it not only can compose sentences like "Solar eclipse is dark and need light".. and "Light is multiple nuclear detonations". But execute them as well. And it is an AI system nside the Aegis multiple launch warhead Destroyer? I read they use AI to select targets at Gaza.

How did ChatGPT know how to compose sentences?

Ephant said:
ChatGPT can generate sentences on its own? It's scary. What if it not only can compose sentences like "Solar eclipse is dark and need light".. and "Light is multiple nuclear detonations". But execute them as well. And it is an AI system nside the Aegis multiple launch warhead Destroyer? I read they use AI to select targets at Gaza.

How did ChatGPT know how to compose sentences?
First of all, the military does not give control to AI systems for final decisions. There is always a human-in-the-loop. AI is used strictly as a recommendation system and the operators are the ones who make the final decisions. This isn't a Terminator movie. Please chill out.

As far as how it composes sentences, Large Language Models like any other machine learning model are based on statistics. They are fed lots of data and continually told to find the best fit. Over time, the models learn what word comes next based on the previous context (words, sentences, etc.). Because of this statisical guessing, they can generate bad outputs. That is why you have to verify (just like military decision makers) whether the information that you're recieving is accurate.