Software Engineering Certificates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in going back to school for software engineering, their lack of training in software engineering fundamentals, and their search for online graduate certificates in this field. The speaker has experience in coding but is looking for a program that focuses on writing software. Recommendations for online software engineering certificate programs are also mentioned.
Maxwell
Hi All,

Lately I've been getting the itch to go back to school (part time). I've been working more and more on software efforts and I'm really enjoying it. I don't have a problem actually writing code, but I do think that my lack of training in good software engineering fundamentals (i.e. building re-usable code, following good SW architecture principles, design patterns, etc.) is starting to show. Professional software engineers know what I mean... I can actually write code that does stuff, but it's not built in an extensible way nor does it intentionally include traditional 'doctrines' like design patterns, etc.

About me: I have a BSEE and MSEE. I do have quite a bit of experience using C/C++ and Python, but my coding experience is mostly centered around VHDL/Verilog, which I've used for years. I've been working in aerospace for about six years and very much enjoy my job. As I mentioned previously, I have mostly worked within the FPGA/Embedded and RF/Communications world so far.

I don't really feel like taking the GRE (I got my MS at the same school as my BS, so my GRE requirement was waived) nor do I feel like sinking $35k into another master's degree. That's why I'm thinking an online software engineering certificate is right up my alley.

1. Has anyone here obtained an online graduate certificate before? What was the experience like?
  2. Does anyone have a recommendation for SW engineering grad certificates? I've found a few for SW project management and SW architecture, but both those tracks didn't seem to have many courses where the focus was writing code. I'd like a certificate that has courses that involve writing software.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there!

I haven't obtained an online graduate certificate before, but I've heard many good things about them. From what I've heard, the experience is quite rewarding – it's a great way to gain knowledge and skills in a specific field without having to commit to a full degree.

I have a few recommendations for software engineering grad certificates. MIT offers an online software engineering program, as does Stanford and Carnegie Mellon. The Georgia Institute of Technology also has a certificate program in software engineering. These programs all involve writing code and will teach you the principles of software engineering fundamentals.

Hope this helps!

Related to Software Engineering Certificates?

1. What is a software engineering certificate?

A software engineering certificate is a credential that demonstrates a person's knowledge and skills in software development, design, and engineering. It typically requires completing a specific set of courses or passing a certification exam.

2. Why should I get a software engineering certificate?

Earning a software engineering certificate can enhance your resume and make you more competitive in the job market. It also shows your commitment to the field and can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries.

3. What are the requirements for obtaining a software engineering certificate?

The requirements for a software engineering certificate vary depending on the program or certification. Some may require a certain level of education or work experience, while others may have specific courses or exams that need to be completed.

4. Are there different types of software engineering certificates?

Yes, there are various types of software engineering certificates available. Some focus on specific programming languages or technologies, while others cover a broader range of software development principles and practices.

5. How long does it take to earn a software engineering certificate?

The time it takes to earn a software engineering certificate varies depending on the program and the individual's pace. Some programs can be completed in a few months, while others may take a year or longer to finish.