Slip condition for a pulled cylinder

In summary, a massless and inextensible string is wrapped around a homogeneous cylinder with a radius of 0.5 m and a mass of 2 kg. The string is pulled away from the upper part of the cylinder without slipping, while the cylinder moves on a horizontal floor with a friction coefficient of 0.4. The maximum force that can be exerted on the free end of the string so that the cylinder rolls without sliding is approximately 24 N. This is based on the assumption that the maximum force is three times the kinetic friction before slipping occurs. The slip condition is not obvious, but can be found by considering the acceleration of the center of the cylinder.
Helmholtz

Homework Statement

Massless and inextensible string is wrapped around the periphery of a homogeneous cylinder of radius R = 0.5 m and mass m = 2 kg. The string is pulled straight away from the upper part of the periphery of the cylinder, without relative slipping. The cylinder moves on a horizontal floor, for which the friction coefficient (μ) is 0.4. What is most nearly the maximum force that can be exerted on the free end of the string so that the cylinder rolls without sliding?

(A) 24 N
(B) 12 N
(C) 8 N
(D) 6 N
(E) 8/3 N

Homework Equations

Your general rotational equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is A. My question is, is it a completely general case that the maximum force you can apply to a cylinder is 3 times the kinetic friction before it starts to slip?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Helmholtz.

Did you try applying the same method that you used to find the answer (A), but using symbols rather than numbers? That way, you can get a general result and see if your conjecture is true.

Thanks for the response. I have done that, but I didn't like what I did and I was wonder if this was something someone could confirm.

Two forces directed in the same direction, one on top of the wheel, the other on the bottom. Forces add as such: F_1+F_2=ma (F_1 is the tension, F_2 is the friction), torques subtract such as F_1-F_2 = ma/2 (skipped a few steps hope it's followable). Then add them together (2*F_1 = 3/2 * ma), solve for a (a=4/3 * F_1/m), plug back into the force equation and find that 3*F_2 = F_1.

What I don't like is that the slip condition isn't obvious to me. Why is 'a' non-zero?

(Edit: I guess the slip condition was in the fact when I subtracted the torques and allowed \alpha = a/r)
(Edit: I suppose 'a' can be positive and there still is no slipping, not a condition I needed to impose. But when I thought about this in my mind, I assumed a cylinder of constant velocity, which is incorrect)

Last edited:
Right. The center of the cylinder is accelerating even though the cylinder is not slipping on the surface. Your analysis and comments look correct to me.

As a scientist, it is important to approach this problem with a critical mindset and consider all possible factors that may affect the outcome. In this case, the slip condition for a pulled cylinder may not always be limited to a maximum force of 3 times the kinetic friction. Factors such as the surface roughness of the floor, the weight distribution of the cylinder, and the tension in the string may also play a role in determining the maximum force that can be exerted before slipping occurs.

Furthermore, the given problem assumes ideal conditions, including a perfectly homogeneous cylinder and a friction coefficient that remains constant throughout the motion. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true and could affect the maximum force that can be applied.

It is also worth noting that the maximum force that can be exerted without slipping may vary depending on the direction in which the force is applied. For example, if the force is applied at an angle instead of directly in line with the string, it may require a different maximum force to prevent slipping.

In conclusion, while the answer may be A in this specific scenario, it is important to consider all factors and not make generalizations about the slip condition for a pulled cylinder. As a scientist, it is crucial to approach problems with a critical mindset and consider all possible variables that may affect the outcome.

Related to Slip condition for a pulled cylinder

1. What is the slip condition for a pulled cylinder?

The slip condition for a pulled cylinder refers to the boundary condition at the surface of a cylinder that is being pulled or dragged through a fluid. It describes the relationship between the velocity of the cylinder and the velocity of the fluid at the surface of the cylinder.

2. How does the slip condition affect the drag force on a pulled cylinder?

The slip condition has a significant impact on the drag force experienced by a pulled cylinder. If the slip condition is no-slip, meaning that the cylinder and fluid have the same velocity at the surface, the drag force will be higher compared to a slip condition with non-zero slip velocity.

3. What factors influence the slip condition for a pulled cylinder?

The slip condition for a pulled cylinder is influenced by several factors, including the properties of the fluid (e.g. viscosity, density), the geometry of the cylinder, and the velocity of the cylinder relative to the fluid. Additionally, surface roughness and surface treatments can also affect the slip condition.

4. How is the slip condition experimentally determined for a pulled cylinder?

The slip condition for a pulled cylinder can be experimentally determined using techniques such as laser Doppler anemometry or particle image velocimetry. These techniques involve measuring the velocity of the fluid at different points near the surface of the cylinder and comparing it to the velocity of the cylinder.

5. Why is understanding the slip condition important in fluid dynamics?

Understanding the slip condition is important in fluid dynamics because it affects the drag force and flow behavior around objects in a fluid. In practical applications, such as designing aerodynamic surfaces for vehicles or optimizing the flow in pipes, knowledge of the slip condition can help improve efficiency and performance.