Cylinders rolling down without slipping

In summary, "rolling down without slipping" for cylinders refers to the motion where the lowermost point of the cylinder maintains contact with the surface it is rolling on without any sliding or slipping occurring. The linear velocity of the center of mass is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius, according to the equation v = ωr. The mass distribution of the cylinder does not affect its ability to roll down without slipping, as long as the center of mass is in the same position as the point of contact with the surface. This is known as the parallel axis theorem. The main difference between "rolling down without slipping" and "rolling with slipping" for cylinders is that in the former, there is no sliding or slipping between the
terryds

Homework Statement

Two solid cylinders are placed on an inclined plane with inclined angle Θ. Both mass of cylinders are m, but the radius bigger cylinder is two times the radius of small cylinder. A string links the big cylinder's center to small cylinder's top (see picture). Both cylinders are freed from static condition and then roll down the inclined plane without slipping.
Determine the relation between the big cylinder tangential acceleration and its center of mass acceleration
http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzlkhnoflaqjkbbp.png

Homework Equations

atangential = α r[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think that rolling without slipping means the tangential acceleration equals the center of mass acceleration.
I think that the acceleration of big cylinder center of mass equals the tangential acceleration of the small cylinder.
It rolls without slipping means that the big cylinder center of mass acceleration equals its tangential acceleration.
So, I think atan = acm

But, my book says that
atan = acm + α r
acm = α r
So,
atan = 2 acm

But, I don't understand how atan = acm + α r comes from

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:

Homework Statement

Two solid cylinders are placed on an inclined plane with inclined angle Θ. Both mass of cylinders are m, but the radius bigger cylinder is two times the radius of small cylinder. A string links the big cylinder's center to small cylinder's top (see picture). Both cylinders are freed from static condition and then roll down the inclined plane without slipping.
Determine the relation between the big cylinder tangential acceleration and its center of mass acceleration
http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzlkhnoflaqjkbbp.png

Homework Equations

atangential = α r[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think that rolling without slipping means the tangential acceleration equals the center of mass acceleration.
I think that the acceleration of big cylinder center of mass equals the tangential acceleration of the small cylinder.
It rolls without slipping means that the big cylinder center of mass acceleration equals its tangential acceleration.
So, I think atan = acm

But, my book says that
atan = acm + α r
acm = α r
So,
atan = 2 acm

But, I don't understand how atan = acm + α r comes from
Edit : The question is to determine the relation between the top point of small cylinder and its acceleration of center of mass

Last edited by a moderator:
And what is your question?

ehild said:
And what is your question?
My book says that
atop-point = acm + α r
acm = α r
So,
atop-point = 2 acm

But, I don't understand how atop-point = acm + α r comes from
What I know is that atop-point = atan = α r (since it's rolling without slipping)
If the top point of the small cylinder accelerates more than its center point, it will roll with slipping, right ?

The points at the perimeter of the cylinder move with respect to the centre, so their relative velocities add to that of the CM.
At the top, this velocity has the same direction as that of the CM. The bottom point has relative velocity opposite to the CM. The speed of the perimeter is ωR, so the tangential speed of the bottom point is Vcm-ωR, that of the top point is Vcm+ωR.
In case of rolling without slipping, the bottom point is in rest with respect to the ground. So Vcm=ωR. At the top, the velocity is Vcm+ωR=2Vcm.
The same is valid for the tangential acceleration.

ehild said:
The points at the perimeter of the cylinder move with respect to the center, so their relative velocities add to that of the CM.
At the top, this velocity has the same direction as that of the CM. The bottom point has relative velocity opposite to the CM. The speed of the perimeter is ωR, so the tangential speed of the bottom point is Vcm-ωR, that of the top point is Vcm+ωR.
In case of rolling without slipping, the bottom point is in rest with respect to the ground. So Vcm=ωR. At the top, the velocity is Vcm+ωR=2Vcm.
The same is valid for the tangential acceleration.

So, for a cylinder or ball or anything that's rolling, the tangential acceleration is not just α r, but acm+α r , right ?
And if it's rolling without slipping, the tangential acceleration is 2 α r ?
Or the formula is just relevant for the cylinder whose top point is linked by a string to a center of another cylinder ?

The tangential acceleration of a point on the perimeter depends on the position of that point. On the top, it is acm+α r. At the bottom, it is acm-α r, and both are horizontal. The tangential acceleration at a general position is the vector sum of the horizontal acceleration of the CM and the tangential acceleration with respect to the CM .
The blue vector is the acceleration of the CM. The green vectors are the accelerations with respect to the CM. The magnitudes of the green vectors are the same αr. The red vectors are the sum of the blue and green ones, the tangential acceleration of a point of the perimeter with respect to the ground.

tangacceleration.JPG

Likes terryds
ehild said:
The tangential acceleration of a point on the perimeter depends on the position of that point. On the top, it is acm+α r. At the bottom, it is acm-α r, and both are horizontal. The tangential acceleration at a general position is the vector sum of the horizontal acceleration of the CM and the tangential acceleration with respect to the CM .
The blue vector is the acceleration of the CM. The green vectors are the accelerations with respect to the CM. The magnitudes of the green vectors are the same αr. The red vectors are the sum of the blue and green ones, the tangential acceleration of a point of the perimeter with respect to the ground.

View attachment 78760

Thanks for your help :)

You are welcome :)

Related to Cylinders rolling down without slipping

1. What is the definition of "rolling down without slipping" for cylinders?

"Rolling down without slipping" refers to the motion of a cylinder where its lowermost point maintains contact with the surface it is rolling on, without any sliding or slipping occurring.

2. What is the relationship between the radius of the cylinder and its linear and angular velocities when rolling down without slipping?

When a cylinder is rolling down without slipping, the linear velocity of its center of mass is equal to the product of its angular velocity and its radius, as given by the equation v = ωr.

3. How does the mass distribution of a cylinder affect its ability to roll down without slipping?

The mass distribution of a cylinder does not affect its ability to roll down without slipping, as long as the center of mass is in the same position as the point of contact with the surface. This is known as the parallel axis theorem.

4. What is the difference between "rolling down without slipping" and "rolling with slipping" for cylinders?

Rolling down without slipping refers to the motion of a cylinder where its lowermost point maintains contact with the surface it is rolling on, while rolling with slipping refers to the motion where there is sliding or slipping between the cylinder and the surface.

5. How does the frictional force affect the motion of a cylinder rolling down without slipping?

The frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the cylinder, slowing it down. In the case of rolling down without slipping, the frictional force is necessary to prevent slipping and maintain the rolling motion.