Simulating earth rotation and (excess) Lenght of Day calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses simulating the Earth's rotation using Euler's equations of motion without external torques. The solution for this involves calculating the angle velocity vector of the Earth, which is a time-dependent vector, and using it to calculate the Length of Day (LOD) every minute. There are questions about whether LOD is constant without external torques, how to calculate the nominal Earth rotation rate, and how to calculate ω in the LOD formula. There is also an idea proposed to use one day as a reference for calculating LOD, but it is unclear how to implement it.
MountFX
Hello everybody :smile:,

I'm new here and hope you can help me with this problem. I have to simulate the Earth rotation with eulers equations of motion (without external torques at first).

I have given:

Solution of eulers equation without external torques:

[itex]\omega = (x, y, z)' \left[\frac{rad}{s}\right][/itex] (angle velocity vector of earth)

with:

[itex]x = r_{earth} \cdot cos( C \cdot (t-t_0) ) [/itex]
[itex]y = r_{earth} \cdot sin( C \cdot (t-t_0) )[/itex]
[itex]z = D~[/itex]

Meaning:
  • C is a constant dependent on z (is also constant)
  • D is constant in case of no external torques
  • ω is a time dependent vector. I have many ω (e.g. every minute for a whole year). So every minute I have a new ω.
  • ΩN is the nominal Earth rotation rate (which I am not sure how to calculate, I have taken 2*PI/(24*60*60)).
  • T is the period of the day in s (24*60*60).

With every new ω (I think I have to take this ω but I am not sure!?) and formula:

[itex]\Delta LOD = \frac{(\Omega^N - \omega) \cdot T}{\Omega^N} [/itex]

I have to calculate the LOD (so every minute a new one).

My problem is, that ω is a vector and not a scalar to calculate the LOD. In this special case (without torques), LOD should be constant I think.

Questions
  • I think, without external torques the LOD is constant, right?
  • Can I calculate ΩN or should I use 2∏/(60*60*60) or should I take this constant from the internet?
  • How can I calculate the ω in LOD formula? I tried to calculate the distance (sqrt(x²+y²+z²)), but I think this is the wrong way to solve this.

Ideas
  • I can look, when ω has turned around 2∏? That would be one day. Then calculate how long it takes for one sec and use this result in the LOD calculation for ω. But how can I realize that with the stuff I've given? Or is this idea stupid?

Please help me :confused:.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, found the mistake after controlling several times all equations. There was an error in my calculation.

Related to Simulating earth rotation and (excess) Lenght of Day calculation

1. What is the purpose of simulating earth rotation and calculating excess length of day?

The purpose of simulating earth rotation and calculating excess length of day is to understand and predict the changes in the Earth's rotation and the length of a day over time. This can help scientists better understand and monitor the effects of factors such as climate change, tectonic activity, and other natural phenomena on our planet.

2. What factors contribute to changes in the Earth's rotation and length of day?

Several factors can contribute to changes in the Earth's rotation and length of day, including the Earth's distance from the sun, atmospheric conditions, and the distribution of mass on the planet's surface. Other factors such as natural disasters, human activities, and changes in the Earth's orbit can also affect rotation and day length.

3. How do scientists simulate Earth rotation and calculate excess length of day?

Scientists use complex mathematical models and computer simulations to simulate Earth's rotation and calculate the excess length of day. These models take into account various factors such as the Earth's shape, mass distribution, and external forces, and use data from satellites and other sources to make accurate predictions.

4. What is the significance of understanding Earth's rotation and length of day?

Understanding Earth's rotation and length of day is crucial for various fields of study, including geology, climatology, and astronomy. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions about the Earth's future, study the effects of natural phenomena on our planet, and even aid in navigation and timekeeping.

5. How do changes in Earth's rotation and length of day impact our daily lives?

Changes in Earth's rotation and length of day can have a significant impact on our daily lives. For example, a longer day can affect our sleep patterns and daily routines, while changes in the Earth's rotation can affect weather patterns and the distribution of sunlight. It is essential for scientists to track these changes to better understand and mitigate their potential impacts on human life.