Signals and Systems Theory Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Euler Identity to convert trigonometric functions into exponential functions. By substituting the Euler Identity into the original equation and forcing equivalences, one can rewrite sin(x) and cos(x) in terms of the Euler Identity. This allows for the conversion of 2.5cos(3t) into 2.5e^(3jt), as determined by the subtraction of two Maclaurin series. The conversation concludes with the understanding that by using the expressions for cos(theta) and sin(theta) in terms of the Euler Identity and combining coefficients, one can successfully convert trigonometric functions into exponential functions.
OmniNewton

Homework Statement

7e9b8c745e2fc43b704bfca37ef3a2e7.png
[/B]
920158fcddac0baf83416fb34e1885b5.png

How are we able to go from the first line to the second line and then the second line to the third?

Homework Equations

Euler Identity: e^j(theta) = cos(theta) +jsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is more about preliminary theory in my opinion so I tried understanding how they converted the problem from trigonometric functions to exponential by analyzing the Euler Identity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite sin(x) and cos(x) in terms of the Euler identity, substitute in the original equation, and force equivalences.

Likes OmniNewton
rude man said:
Rewrite sin(x) and cos(x) in terms of the Euler identity, substitute in the original equation, and force equivalences.

Thank you for the response sir but I really do not see how that works. How can one simply say that 2.5cos(3t) = 2.5e^(3jt). I thought cos(theta) = 1/2(e^j(theta) + e^-j(theta)) determined by the subtraction of 2 mcclauirin series.

OmniNewton said:
Thank you for the response sir but I really do not see how that works. How can one simply say that 2.5cos(3t) = 2.5e^(3jt).
You can't.
I thought cos(theta) = 1/2(e^j(theta) + e^-j(theta))
Right. Use that and the similar expression for sin(theta) and combine coefficients of ej3t and e-j3t.

Likes OmniNewton
rude man said:
You can't. Right. Use that and the similar expression for sin(theta) and combine coefficients of ej3t and e-j3t.
Oh I see! That makes a lot of sense thank you kindly.

Related to Signals and Systems Theory Question

1. What is Signals and Systems Theory?

Signals and Systems Theory is a branch of mathematics and engineering that deals with the analysis and processing of signals, which are representations of physical quantities that vary with time, and systems, which are mathematical models that describe how signals behave.

2. What are some real-world applications of Signals and Systems Theory?

Signals and Systems Theory has numerous applications in fields such as telecommunications, control systems, image and audio processing, and biomedical engineering. It is used to design and analyze systems that process signals, such as filters, amplifiers, and communication systems.

3. What are the key concepts in Signals and Systems Theory?

Some key concepts in Signals and Systems Theory include time-domain and frequency-domain representations of signals, convolution, Fourier transforms, and Laplace transforms. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of signals and systems and for analyzing and designing systems.

4. How does Signals and Systems Theory relate to other fields of study?

Signals and Systems Theory is closely related to other fields such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. It also has applications in other areas of engineering, such as control theory, signal processing, and communication systems.

5. What skills are necessary to understand Signals and Systems Theory?

To understand Signals and Systems Theory, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It also requires critical thinking skills and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems.