Systems and Signals questions-plots

In summary: First I thought I would just take the top plot and subtract the bottom plot. But then I realized that I would have to reverse the time scale for that to work. So I did that and it came out looking like this: x(t) - x(-t) = x(t+1) + x(-t+1) Which gives me this equation: x(t) = (x(t+1)+x(-t+1))/2 Which when solved gives me this: x(t) = (-t+1) + t
Alpha_Centauri
Systems and Signals questions---plots

Homework Statement

Problem: Express the bottom 5 plots in term of x(t) (the top plot) with its time shift, time scale, time reverse and superposition properties. (see attached picture)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have very little notes on this and feel like I have done this a few years ago, but my memory is failing me. I am not understanding how to get the plots just from x(t).

My attempt for x1(t): it looks like it is just x(t) but 2 of them back to back with one being reversed.Also it is shifted left by 1. So I figured it would look something like x(t+1) + x(-t+1).

I have no idea if that is right or not or how to check it. If anyone could help teach me with examples or have a good link that can teach me that would help a lot.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alpha_Centauri! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

A curly question you have here, for your first post! Perhaps if you get no help here, message a moderator and ask to have this moved to the maths homework forum (precalculus maths). Your subject line might have thrown a few off the scent of an easy maths problem. :smile:

I'm a bit rusty on these myself. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi Alpha_Centauri! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

A curly question you have here, for your first post! Perhaps if you get no help here, message a moderator and ask to have this moved to the maths homework forum (precalculus maths). Your subject line might have thrown a few off the scent of an easy maths problem. :smile:

I'm a bit rusty on these myself. Sorry.

Thanks NascentOxygen! I will keep that in mind for future post, but for this I think I was able to figure it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Systems and Signals questions-plots

1. What are systems and signals?

Systems and signals are concepts that are fundamental to the field of engineering and science. A system is an entity that takes in an input and produces an output, while a signal is a function that represents a physical quantity or information. Together, they are used to analyze and design complex systems and understand how they behave over time.

2. How are systems and signals related?

Systems and signals are closely related because systems can be represented by signals, and signals can be used to describe the behavior of a system. Signals are used to model the inputs and outputs of a system, and through analyzing these signals, we can gain insights into the behavior of the system.

3. What are some common types of signals?

There are several types of signals that are commonly used in the study of systems, including continuous-time signals, discrete-time signals, and digital signals. Continuous-time signals are defined over a continuous range of time, while discrete-time signals are defined at specific time intervals. Digital signals are discrete-time signals that only have a finite number of possible values.

4. How are signals represented graphically?

Signals can be represented graphically using plots, which are visual representations of the signal over time. The most common types of plots used for signals are time-domain plots and frequency-domain plots. Time-domain plots show the signal's amplitude over time, while frequency-domain plots show the signal's frequency content.

5. What is the importance of understanding systems and signals in science?

Understanding systems and signals is crucial in science because they are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena. By studying systems and signals, we can gain insights into how various processes and systems work, and use this knowledge to improve our understanding and make predictions about the world around us.