Show that [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B)

In summary, the notation [A, F(B)] represents the commutator of the operators A and F(B), defined as AF(B) - F(B)A. Showing that [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B) means proving the commutator of A and F(B) is equal to the commutator of A and B times the derivative of F(B). This equation is significant in science as it shows the relationship between operator commutators and their derivatives, and has real-life applications in quantum mechanics, mathematical physics, and engineering. There are various methods to prove this equation, including using the definition of the commutator and properties of operators and their derivatives.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

A and B commute with their commutator, C=[A,B]
F(B) = ∑n=0fnBn

Homework Equations

[A,B] = AB - BA
[A,BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C]

The Attempt at a Solution

So all I can think to do is:
[A,Bn] = [A,BBn-1] = [A,B]Bn-1 + B[A,Bn-1]
=ABBn-1-BABn-1+BABn-1-BBn-1A
=ABBn-1 - BBn-1A
and this seems to be a dead end? Just loops back around to ABn - BnA
If this is along the right track, whereabouts would I go next? If this is not the way to start it, how would I go about beginning this problem?
And even if this is along the right lines, I've ignored the sum here as I'm not quite sure how that affects the whole thing.

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
Jon.G said:

Homework Statement

A and B commute with their commutator, C=[A,B]
F(B) = ∑n=0fnBn

Homework Equations

[A,B] = AB - BA
[A,BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C]

The Attempt at a Solution

So all I can think to do is:
[A,Bn] = [A,BBn-1] = [A,B]Bn-1 + B[A,Bn-1]
=ABBn-1-BABn-1+BABn-1-BBn-1A
=ABBn-1 - BBn-1A
and this seems to be a dead end? Just loops back around to ABn - BnA
If this is along the right track, whereabouts would I go next? If this is not the way to start it, how would I go about beginning this problem?
And even if this is along the right lines, I've ignored the sum here as I'm not quite sure how that affects the whole thing.

Thanks for your time

Start by showing the case where f(B)=B^2. You should get [A,f(B)]=[A,B]2B. Which is [A,B]f'(B). Then try f(B)=B^3. For the general case use induction to prove if f(B)=B^n, then [A,B^n]=[A,B]nB^(n-1). Which is [A,B]f'(B). Now deal with the sum.

Ooh ok thanks.
So I went through it with n=2,3 and 4 and [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B) was shown for each of them.
For the sum is it simply that when n is any value, fn is a constant so that
(for example)
[A,f2B2] = [A, f2B]B + f2B[A, B]
f2 a constant and can be taken outside of [] as it effect both sides the same so (and as B commutes with [A, B])
[A, f2B]B + f2B[A, B] = [A,B]f2B + [A,B]f2B
=[A,B]2f2B = [A, B]F'(B)
?
Is this how it's shown?

Jon.G said:
Ooh ok thanks.
So I went through it with n=2,3 and 4 and [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B) was shown for each of them.
For the sum is it simply that when n is any value, fn is a constant so that
(for example)
[A,f2B2] = [A, f2B]B + f2B[A, B]
f2 a constant and can be taken outside of [] as it effect both sides the same so (and as B commutes with [A, B])
[A, f2B]B + f2B[A, B] = [A,B]f2B + [A,B]f2B
=[A,B]2f2B = [A, B]F'(B)
?
Is this how it's shown?

Yes, the Lie bracket is linear over scalars, so ##[A,cf(B)+dg(B)]=c[A,f(B)]+d[A,g(B)]##. That's how you take care of the sum. It's good that you've shown it works for n=2,3 and 4. To show it's true for general ##n## that ##[A,B^n]=[A,B]nB^{n-1}## there's a general procedure called mathematical induction. You assume it's true for ##n## and then show that it must be true for ##n+1##. Since you've already shown that it works for small values of n, that shows it works for all values of n. A less formal argument is to show, for example, that ##[A,B^3]=[A,BBB]=[A,B]BB+B[A,B]B+BB[A,B]## and then say this pattern holds for all n.

Last edited:

Related to Show that [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B)

1. What is the meaning of the notation [A, F(B)]?

The notation [A, F(B)] represents the commutator of the operators A and F(B). This is defined as [A, F(B)] = AF(B) - F(B)A.

2. What does it mean to show that [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B)?

Showing that [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B) means proving that the commutator of A and F(B) is equal to the commutator of A and B times the derivative of F(B). This is a useful property in mathematical physics and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of this equation in science?

This equation is significant because it shows the relationship between the commutator of two operators and their derivatives. It is a fundamental property in quantum mechanics and is used in various calculations and proofs in the field of physics.

4. How can one prove the equation [A, F(B)] = [A, B]F'(B)?

There are various methods of proving this equation, depending on the specific operators A and F(B). One method is to use the definition of the commutator and manipulate the expressions to show they are equal. Another method is to use properties of operators and their derivatives, such as the chain rule, to show the equality.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this equation?

Yes, this equation has real-life applications in quantum mechanics and mathematical physics. It is used in calculations and proofs involving operators and their commutators, which are essential concepts in these fields. It also has applications in engineering and technology, particularly in fields that utilize quantum mechanics principles.