An alternative proof (Hopefully not an alternative fact)

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's approach to studying calculus and a difference in proof methods used for a specific problem. The student shares their own solution and acknowledges a mistake pointed out by another person.
Nerd-ho

Homework Statement

Hi all, I'm currently studying the amazing Calculus by Spivak. Whenever I study textbooks I always attempt to do all the examples and proofs in the text before looking at the answers.

(Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know, the examples are similar to the easy to moderate problems in exercise books and are never challenging, but I find it difficult to do it any other way, I'm like the child who refuses to be shown how to undo the knot, I want to work it out for myself.)

One of the proofs I did looked different to that which Spivak provided and I'd like to know if it's still correct.

2. Homework Equations

The theorems used were:
a + (-a) = (-a) + a = 0
a(bc) = (ab)c
a(1) = (1)a = a
a(b + c) = ab + ac
a(0) = 0

Spivak used the first, fourth and fifth theorems and I used the second and third.

The proof was of (-a)b = -(ab)

Spivak's was:
(-a)b + (ab) = (a + (-a))b
(-a)b + (ab) = (0)b
(-a)b + (ab) = 0
(-a)b + (ab) + (-(ab)) = 0 + (-(ab))

Therefore (-a)b = -(ab)

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was:

(-a)b = (-1a)b
= -1(ab)
= -(1(ab))
= -(ab)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Travis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where have you shown, that ##-a = -1a## for the first line? All you have for ##-1## is that ##1 + (-1)=0##. Otherwise, ##-1a## isn't defined yet.

Thanks @fresh_42

I see my mistake, I would need to use the theorem in order to prove it's own validity.

Related to An alternative proof (Hopefully not an alternative fact)

1. What is the alternative proof trying to prove?

The alternative proof is attempting to provide an alternative method of proving a specific statement or theorem.

2. How is the alternative proof different from the original proof?

The alternative proof may use a different approach, technique, or logic to prove the statement, as opposed to the original proof. It may also be shorter, simpler, or more elegant.

3. Is the alternative proof valid and reliable?

Just like any other proof, the validity and reliability of the alternative proof depends on the soundness of the logic and the accuracy of the steps used to prove the statement. It should be rigorously examined and critiqued by other scientists before being accepted.

4. Why would someone present an alternative proof?

There could be many reasons for presenting an alternative proof, such as providing a better understanding of the statement, improving upon the original proof, or challenging the existing understanding of the statement.

5. How can I evaluate the credibility of an alternative proof?

To evaluate the credibility of an alternative proof, you should carefully examine the logic, assumptions, and steps used in the proof. You can also compare it with the original proof and assess its strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, seeking feedback and critiques from other experts in the field can help determine the credibility of the proof.