Should I Take Pre-Calculus Before Entering Calculus?

In summary, it is recommended to take a full semester of trigonometry before moving on to calculus. It may also be beneficial to take a pre-calculus course to reinforce what was learned during the summer semesters. Each student's individual performance and needs should be considered when deciding on the best course sequence. Placement testing and advice from faculty can also be helpful in making these decisions.
Camperwes
So I have been out of Math Courses for 5 years then this semester Spring Semester I completed Pre Algebra with an A, this Summer I have two Semesters of which I am taking College Algebra for Science and Engineering Majors and Plane Trigonometry.

My question is during the Fall Semester should I take Pre-Calculus to reinforce what I learned during the summer semesters or should I go ahead and enter Calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the difference between pre-calculus and college algebra?

Likes Camperwes
paisiello2 said:
What's the difference between pre-calculus and college algebra?
College Algebra for Science and Engineering Majors
MATH 1414 is the study of functions, models of functions, graphs of polynomial and rational functions, real and complex numbers, radical functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, inequalities, conic sections, sequences, series, matrices, and systems of linear and nonlinear equations.

Plane Trigonometry
Plane Trigonometry is the study of definitions of the trigonometric functions, special angles, fundamental identities, solution of right triangles, circular measure, trigonometric reductions, solution of oblique triangles, functions of a composite angle, trigonometric equations, inverse trigonometric functions, polar representation, DeMoivre’s Theorem, and graphs.

Pre-Calculus
Pre-calculus is the study of algebraic functions and their graphs, inverse functions, polynomial functions, rational and irrational functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, inverse trigonometric functions, Law of Sines, Law of Cosines, and analytic geometry.

Calculus 1
Calculus I is the study of limits and continuity, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus; definition of the derivative of a function and techniques of differentiation; applications of the derivative to maximizing or minimizing a function; the chain rule, mean value theorem, and rate of change problems; curve sketching; definite and indefinite integration of algebraic, trigonometric, and transcendental functions, with an application to calculation of areas.

I am taking Algebra S/E and Trig during the summer the question is should I take Pre-Calculus to reinforce what I took during the summer or jump straight into Calculus 1?

So they sound roughly the same. If you get an A again I would think your good to take on calculus.

Likes Camperwes
Camperwes said:
So I have been out of Math Courses for 5 years then this semester Spring Semester I completed Pre Algebra with an A, this Summer I have two Semesters of which I am taking College Algebra for Science and Engineering Majors and Plane Trigonometry.

My question is during the Fall Semester should I take Pre-Calculus to reinforce what I learned during the summer semesters or should I go ahead and enter Calculus?
What does your college's placement testing indicate for you? Did you study Intermediate Algebra all the way through and earn at least an A? That data may be very useful in knowing what you might study and in what order.

Likes Camperwes
I am taking Algebra S/E and Trig during the summer the question is should I take Pre-Calculus to reinforce what I took during the summer or jump straight into Calculus 1?
Next course should be a full semester trigonometry, and if good, the course after that can be Calculus 1.

Likes Camperwes
paisiello2 said:
So they sound roughly the same. If you get an A again I would think your good to take on calculus.
Thanks that probably will be the deciding factor.
symbolipoint said:
What does your college's placement testing indicate for you? Did you study Intermediate Algebra all the way through and earn at least an A? That data may be very useful in knowing what you might study and in what order.
I took the Accuplacer a few years ago and it said I was good for Pre-calculus, but when I took the course it was too advanced, then I took College Algebra and the same with that, the pace was too fast... I am currently finishing up with Intermediate Algebra and I will pass with an A.
symbolipoint said:
Next course should be a full semester trigonometry, and if good, the course after that can be Calculus 1.
Well since I am finishing with Intermediate Algebra, during the summer I will be taking College Algebra for Science and Engineering Majors and Trigonometry. As stated in the previous comment, it depends on how well I perform in College Algebra and how well I feel like I am in Trig, at the time I have to make a payment.

Camperwes said:
Thanks that probably will be the deciding factor.

I took the Accuplacer a few years ago and it said I was good for Pre-calculus, but when I took the course it was too advanced, then I took College Algebra and the same with that, the pace was too fast... I am currently finishing up with Intermediate Algebra and I will pass with an A.

Well since I am finishing with Intermediate Algebra, during the summer I will be taking College Algebra for Science and Engineering Majors and Trigonometry. As stated in the previous comment, it depends on how well I perform in College Algebra and how well I feel like I am in Trig, at the time I have to make a payment.
You are right on-track. The college algebra and the pre-calculus were definitely too advanced for you. You needed what you are enrolled now... your Intermediate Algebra. Your next courses should be either College Algebra, followed by Trigonometry; OR the Pre-Calculus course and then a separate Trigonometry only if you believe you need it.

Note that You CAN take courses in this order: Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1.

I have heard of some students taking Intermediate Algebra, then Trigonometry, and then going from that into Calculus 1. How good an idea that is depends on the student and advice he can get from faculty in the Mathematics department.

Likes Camperwes
symbolipoint said:
You are right on-track. The college algebra and the pre-calculus were definitely too advanced for you. You needed what you are enrolled now... your Intermediate Algebra. Your next courses should be either College Algebra, followed by Trigonometry; OR the Pre-Calculus course and then a separate Trigonometry only if you believe you need it.

Note that You CAN take courses in this order: Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1.

I have heard of some students taking Intermediate Algebra, then Trigonometry, and then going from that into Calculus 1. How good an idea that is depends on the student and advice he can get from faculty in the Mathematics department.

Thanks today was the day to make the payment for the mini-semester and the first summer, since there was not a mini-semester available for Algebra for S&E I am taking it in during the first summer semester, Trigonometry will be in second. Then Pre-Calculus or Calculus in the fall...

Thanks Symbolipoint and Paisiello2 for the help. :D

Related to Should I Take Pre-Calculus Before Entering Calculus?

1. Should I take Pre-Calculus in high school?

It depends on your future academic and career goals. If you plan on pursuing a degree in a math-heavy field such as engineering or physics, then taking Pre-Calculus in high school is highly recommended. It will give you a solid foundation for more advanced math courses in college. However, if you do not plan on pursuing a math-related degree, it may not be necessary to take Pre-Calculus in high school.

2. What topics are covered in Pre-Calculus?

Pre-Calculus typically covers advanced algebra, trigonometry, and introductory calculus concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It also includes topics such as complex numbers, matrices, and polar coordinates.

3. Is Pre-Calculus difficult?

Pre-Calculus can be challenging for some students, as it requires a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry. It also introduces new concepts that may be unfamiliar. However, with dedication and practice, most students can succeed in Pre-Calculus.

4. How will taking Pre-Calculus benefit me?

Taking Pre-Calculus can benefit you in several ways. It will provide a strong foundation for more advanced math courses in college, and it can also improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, many colleges and universities require Pre-Calculus as a prerequisite for certain majors.

5. Can I skip Pre-Calculus and go straight to Calculus?

In most cases, it is not recommended to skip Pre-Calculus and go straight to Calculus. Pre-Calculus covers important concepts and skills that are necessary for success in Calculus. If you feel confident in your math abilities, you can speak with your teacher or academic advisor about taking an assessment to determine if you are ready for Calculus without taking Pre-Calculus.