Should I Take a Break Between Undergrad and Grad School?

In summary, the speaker is considering taking a ~4 year break before attending grad school and is unsure if it would be feasible. They wonder to what extent they would need to review material before resuming their education and if it would be better to apply to grad schools before or after the hiatus. The speaker acknowledges that jumping into grad school right after undergrad is ideal, but that life is not always ideal. They also mention potential difficulties in getting back into the field after a long break and the impact it may have on their competitiveness in the eyes of admissions committees. The speaker also brings up the lifestyle differences between being a grad student and entering the working world, and the challenges that may come with transitioning back to school after becoming accustomed to a regular paycheck
Quadrivium
Hi, I am in college and intending to go to grad school after I finish my undergrad degree. However, I've been wondering if it would be feasible to take a ~4 year break in between for personal reasons. I recognize that some sort of review would be needed before I resume my education, but to what extent?

Also, I've heard that matriculation into grad school can be deferred for a certain amount of time, but I don't know for how long. Would it be advisable to apply to grad schools before this hiatus, or would it be better to wait to apply until I'm ready to come back? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think it's ideal to jump into grad school right out of undergrad for most people, but life is hardly ever ideal. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to get back into things - depending on what it is you're doing in the meantime. And I don't know to what extent, but the admissions committee may look at someone who's been out of the field for so long as less competative than more recent graduates. In four years, a lot of things can change. The hot fields of today will be old news. Some of the hot fields to come don't even exist yet.

The other big issue is one of lifestyle. Grad students live a life that is moderately better than undergrads. But once you enter the working world, that regular paycheck becomes addictive - especially when a mortgage, wife, kids, etc. come along. Lots of people successfully give it up, but I think the transition can be demanding on a number of levels.

To add one thing - deferring admission for six months or a year is rare, but possible. Four years would be unheard of.

Related to Should I Take a Break Between Undergrad and Grad School?

What is a break after undergrad?

A break after undergrad refers to a period of time, usually a few months to a year, that students take after completing their undergraduate studies before pursuing further education or entering the workforce.

Why do some students choose to take a break after undergrad?

Some students choose to take a break after undergrad to recharge and relax after years of rigorous academic work. Others may want to gain work experience, travel, or figure out their next steps before committing to a graduate program or career.

Will taking a break after undergrad affect my future career or education opportunities?

Taking a break after undergrad does not necessarily have a negative impact on future career or education opportunities. In fact, it can provide valuable experiences and skills that can make a candidate stand out to employers or graduate schools.

What are some things I can do during a break after undergrad?

There are many options for activities during a break after undergrad, such as traveling, interning or working in a field of interest, volunteering, or pursuing personal hobbies and interests. It is important to use this time wisely and selectively choose activities that align with one's goals and interests.

How long should a break after undergrad be?

The length of a break after undergrad can vary depending on individual circumstances and goals. Some students may only need a few months, while others may take a year or longer. It is important to consider financial constraints, future plans, and personal needs when determining the length of a break.