Should I Spend an Extra Year in Undergrad for a Better Chance at a PhD Program?

• Thread starter Legion81
  • Start date
In summary, if you have the means and resources, Option 2 may be the better choice as it could lead to a more direct path towards your ultimate goal of a PhD program.
Legion81
I have two options right now and I would like to hear what you would do in this situation.

I don't have any research experience to put on a grad school application. If I take the GRE this fall, I will just be starting QM, so I probably won't be able to solve many of the QM questions on the test (same for Nuclear, Solid State, and Statistical Mech). I don't think my chances of getting into a phd program would be that great, but I know I could get into a masters program. If I extended graduating another year, I would have research experience and be able to score higher on the physics GRE.

My problem is trying to decide if spending the time and money for another year of undergrad would increase my chances of getting directly into a phd program, or if I would be better off spending that year in grad school and then applying at the beginning of my second year in a masters program.

Option 1-
Graduate next spring (2011) and start on masters degree in order to apply to a phd program the following year.

Option 2-
Spend an extra year as undergrad to score higher on GRE and have research experience hoping to get into a phd program and have the masters program as a backup.

What would you do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would personally opt for Option 2. Spending the extra time and money to gain research experience and a higher score on the GRE could give you a better chance of getting accepted directly into a PhD program, rather than having to take a roundabout route through a masters program. It would also give you more time to prepare for the GRE, giving you the best opportunity to get the best possible score.

Related to Should I Spend an Extra Year in Undergrad for a Better Chance at a PhD Program?

1. Why would someone put off graduating?

There could be various reasons for someone to put off graduating. Some common reasons include financial difficulties, personal issues, or the need for additional education or training.

2. Is putting off graduating a bad idea?

It ultimately depends on the individual's circumstances and goals. In some cases, delaying graduation may be necessary or beneficial. However, it can also have negative consequences such as delaying entry into the workforce or causing a delay in career advancement.

3. How long can someone put off graduating?

The length of time someone can put off graduating depends on their academic institution's policies and their own personal circumstances. Some schools may have a maximum number of years for students to complete their degree, while others may allow for longer periods with valid reasons.

4. Will putting off graduating affect future career opportunities?

It is possible that delaying graduation may affect future career opportunities, as employers may question the reasons for the delay and prefer candidates who have completed their degree in a timely manner. However, if the delay was due to valid reasons and the individual has gained relevant skills and experiences during the delay, it may not significantly impact their career prospects.

5. What are the potential consequences of putting off graduating?

The potential consequences of delaying graduation may include financial strain, missing out on job opportunities, delaying entry into the workforce, and a delay in achieving career goals. It may also lead to a longer overall time and cost for completing a degree.