Should I Retake the GRE Before the Changes in August for Physics Grad School?

In summary, the speaker registered for an exam a month ago but did not study as much as intended and performed poorly on both the verbal and quantitative sections. They are wondering if they should retake the exam before it changes in August. The conversation then shifts to discussing the importance of GRE scores for different subject fields, with the speaker planning to go to grad school for physics. They plan on taking the Physics GRE in the near future.
RunSwimSurf
Gold Member
Verbal: 440
Quantitative: 730

I registered for the exam a month ago and intended to study for it (books, vocabulary flash cards, etc), but didn't spend as much time as I intended and did horribly on verbal (quant. isn't so hot, either).

Should I retake it again before they change it this August?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your subject field? If you are planning to go to a grad school in math, physics, or possibly chemistry, your general GRE scores don't matter that much as long as the rest of your application looks good; general GRE is more of a formality in these subjects.

Different story for the subject GRE though; that's the exam that you actually want to do well.

See post #8 on here (if you are planning to go to a grad school in physics): https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=284463&highlight=Physics+Grad+School

I plan on going to grad school for physics. Thanks for your input and the link. It was very informative.
I hope to take the Physics GRE later this year or next year.

Related to Should I Retake the GRE Before the Changes in August for Physics Grad School?

What is the General GRE?

The General GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used for admission to graduate and business schools in the United States and other countries. It measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

When can I take the General GRE?

The General GRE is offered year-round at testing centers around the world. You can register for the exam on the ETS website and choose a date and location that works for you.

How long is the General GRE?

The General GRE is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes long, including breaks. The verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections are 30 minutes each, and the analytical writing section is 60 minutes. There are also two unscored sections that are used for research purposes and can vary in length.

What is a good score on the General GRE?

The scoring for the General GRE ranges from 130-170 for the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections, and 0-6 for the analytical writing section. A good score is typically considered to be above the 50th percentile, which is around 150 for each section. However, what is considered a good score may vary depending on the specific graduate or business program you are applying to.

How can I prepare for the General GRE?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the General GRE, including study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It is important to familiarize yourself with the content and format of the exam and to practice regularly. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or join a study group. Additionally, make sure to get a good night's rest and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the exam.