Should I quit studying physics?

In summary: So, in summary, the speaker began college as an electrical engineering major but switched to physics, which they initially found beautiful but are now finding tedious. They are double majoring in physics and math and have a strong interest in theoretical physics, but are struggling with the current coursework. They are wondering if theoretical physics will become interesting again and if it is possible to do theoretical work without much prior knowledge. The conversation also mentions the beauty of nature and the potential for a computer to aid in understanding complex equations.
SweetDnny
I started college majoring in electrical engineering. I realized that engineering was boring and lacked beauty, so I decided to change to the elegant study of physics. This is after I had taken AP physics in high school, so I knew it was something I liked a lot. I'm now halfway through my second year, double majoring in physics and math with a 3.96 GPA. I'm slowly finding the science more and more tedious and boring rather than beautiful. Last quarter was dedicated to waves and vibrations and Fourier stuff, which I found to be awful. Now I'm being gently introduced to special relativity, which I thought was amazing when I first heard about it two years ago, but now its just alright. In my math class we're learning out of Artin's Algebra, which I sort of like. I originally wanted to be a theoretical physicist, I absolutely despise any lab scenario as well as programming. It's just been a long time since I've seen something that put me in awe the way calculus did the first time I saw it. Does theoretical physics become really cool again, or am I just losing interest? Also, is there anyway that I can do purely theoretical work given how little I know currently? I think maybe actually trying it out could help me decide.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're overworked and not spending enough time to see the beauty in things.

William Blake wrote a stanza for it:

Auguries of Innocence
William Blake
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

And from zen:

Before a man studies Zen, a mountain is a mountain
after he gets insights, a mountain is not a mountain
When he really understands, a mountain is a mountain"

You may be stuck on the middle line and if you persevere the amazement will come back.

err, theoretical physics is going to be hard nowadays without programming.

Pythagorean said:

Also with a computer you can begin to see the depth and beauty of a system of eqns applied to a problem.

Checkout the open source physics project at compadre.org/osp

Pythagorean said:

That was my thought, too.

Related to Should I quit studying physics?

1. Should I quit studying physics if I am struggling to understand the concepts?

It is normal to struggle with understanding complex concepts in physics. However, with persistence and hard work, you can overcome these challenges. Seek help from your professors or peers, and try different studying techniques until you find what works best for you. Quitting should only be considered as a last resort.

2. Is it worth continuing to study physics if I am not planning on pursuing it as a career?

Studying physics can be beneficial even if you do not plan on pursuing it as a career. The problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities developed through studying physics can be applied to various fields and can make you a well-rounded individual. Additionally, the curiosity and wonder that come with studying physics can enrich your life in many ways.

3. Will quitting physics affect my future job prospects?

It is difficult to predict how quitting physics will affect your future job prospects. However, having a degree in physics can open up many opportunities in various industries, such as engineering, research, and data analysis. Even if you choose to pursue a different career, the problem-solving and analytical skills gained through studying physics can be highly valued by employers.

4. Should I quit studying physics if I am not performing well in my classes?

Failing or struggling in physics classes does not necessarily mean you should quit studying physics. It may be a sign that you need to reevaluate your studying habits or seek additional help. Speak to your professors and academic advisors to discuss your options and come up with a plan to improve your performance.

5. Is it okay to quit studying physics if I have lost interest in the subject?

Losing interest in a subject is a common occurrence, and it is okay to change your academic path if you have lost interest in physics. However, before making a decision, it is essential to reflect on why you lost interest and explore if there are ways to reignite your passion for physics. You can also consider talking to your professors or peers to gain a different perspective and see if there are other areas of physics that may interest you.