Should I pursue a physics degree or go straight into engineering?

In summary, a high school graduate is concerned about the career opportunities for a physics degree and whether pursuing a graduate degree in engineering would be a better option. They are considering attending a liberal arts university and then transferring to another university for an engineering degree or just getting a four-year degree in physics and then attending another university for an engineering degree. The advice given is to pursue what they are passionate about and not choose a major solely based on job opportunities. The importance of enjoying college and considering one's future career goals is also emphasized.
Apophilius
Hello all. I'm a recently graduated high school student entering a liberal arts university. Right now, my intention is to major in physics. But I'm concerned about several things:

First, I'm concerned about whether there are any career opportunities for a physics b.s. I've heard that physicists are valued for their abilities to problem solve, but that their educational background is simply too general to be of use in, say, engineering. I've thought to myself that I would definitely want to pursue a graduate degree somehow. Most likely engineering of some kind: the options as to the type of engineering are still on the table, but I fear what might happen if I were to screw something up, compromising my ability to attend grad school somehow.

The college I plan on attending does not offer an engineering degree of any kind, but they do have programs in which you attend classes on campus for three years, studying physics, and then head to another university for an additional two years to get a degree in engineering.

I could also simply get a four year degree in physics, and then try to squeeze my hand into another state university to get an engineering degree. But that would take even more time.

I guess what I'm asking is this: What advice would you offer? Do I take the bachelor's in physics and move on to a master's degree that would hopefully end up with me having a better salary, actually working in the field I've studied for? Or do I take a more direct route, skip the idea of grad school for now, just jump at the engineering programs, and worry about grad later?

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I say do what you love. If you like physics, what career do YOU wish to do? Astrophysics? Professor? Medical Physicist? ...

The one thing you must realize about getting your B.S. is that you have to do something your passionate about. Don't chose one subject over another just because it has a "better chance" in getting you a job in the future. Most medical schools for example hate Biology/Chemistry majors because the vast majority of students who apply are either of these two majors. They love to see an English major who managed to learn the required sciences in something he/she loved. However, this doesn't mean do something different for the sake of being different. Many Bio/Chem majors make it to Medical school, its just a few individuals that choose to do these majors because they fulfill the required course requirements for Medical Schools.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also, this is the ONLY time where you'll be able to chill with friends, be independent, have LOADS of free time, and learn about something you love.

The answer to your question should be, what do YOU see yourself doing for the rest of your life? Google around, there are plenty of jobs that require/use physics heavily.

Related to Should I pursue a physics degree or go straight into engineering?

1. What is the difference between a major and a career path?

A major is a specific subject or field of study that a student chooses to focus on during their undergraduate education. A career path, on the other hand, refers to the sequence of jobs or positions that a person may hold throughout their professional life.

2. How do I choose the right major for me?

Choosing a major can be a difficult decision, but it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when making a decision. You can also talk to academic advisors, do research on different majors, and take classes in different subjects to help you make a decision.

3. Can I change my major later on?

Yes, it is possible to change your major during your undergraduate education. However, it may require you to take additional courses and potentially delay your graduation. It's important to carefully consider your decision before changing your major.

4. Will my major determine my career path?

While your major can certainly influence your career path, it does not necessarily determine it. Many students go on to have successful careers in fields that are not directly related to their major. It's important to gain transferable skills and experiences that can be applied to a variety of industries.

5. What can I do with a specific major?

This is a common question among students who are considering different majors. While some majors may directly lead to certain careers, many can be applied to a variety of industries. It's important to research potential career opportunities and talk to professionals in your field of interest to get a better understanding of your options.