Should I do work in an experimental physics lab or summer internship?

In summary, the speaker is deciding between a paid experimental work opportunity with a professor at their college and an internship at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center. They are leaning towards the internship and seeking opinions on their decision. The speaker believes it would look better to do the internship first and then work with the professor in the fall. They are happy with their options and seeking confirmation on their decision.
mc0210
Hey PF, quick question for you guys. I got offers (on the same day!) to work with a professor at my college (1.5 hours away from home), paid, to do some experimental work. I also was offered an internship at the Naval Undersea warfare center in Newport, RI (~40 minutes from home). I will be working with the professor this coming fall and am really leaning towards the internship at the Navy base. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt screwing up my decision! The professor is great, however I think it would look better to do this internship and then work with him in the fall rather than just starting earlier. Thanks for your opinions guys, this was a happy day for me!

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds like a great situation to be in! Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which opportunity is best for you. If the internship at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport is closer to home and offers more experience for your resume, then that might be the better opportunity. However, if working with the professor will give you more useful experience and connections, then that could be the better path. It's really hard to say without knowing more details about the positions. As long as you are happy with your decision, you should go for it!

Related to Should I do work in an experimental physics lab or summer internship?

1. What is the purpose of an experimental physics lab or summer internship?

An experimental physics lab or summer internship is designed to provide hands-on experience and training in the field of experimental physics. It allows students to apply theoretical knowledge to real-life experiments and gain practical skills that are essential for a career in physics.

2. What are the benefits of working in an experimental physics lab or summer internship?

Working in an experimental physics lab or summer internship offers numerous benefits such as gaining practical skills, networking with professionals in the field, enhancing problem-solving abilities, and building a strong foundation for a career in physics.

3. Is it necessary to have prior experience in physics to work in an experimental physics lab or summer internship?

While prior experience in physics is not a requirement, it is beneficial to have a strong foundation in the subject. It will help you understand the concepts and experiments better and make the most out of your experience in the lab or internship.

4. What kind of projects can I expect to work on in an experimental physics lab or summer internship?

The projects in an experimental physics lab or summer internship can vary depending on the specific focus of the lab or program. However, you can expect to work on experiments related to mechanics, optics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and other areas of physics.

5. Will working in an experimental physics lab or summer internship help me in my future career?

Yes, working in an experimental physics lab or summer internship can greatly benefit your future career. It will provide you with practical skills and experience that will make you a competitive candidate for graduate studies or jobs in the field of physics. It also allows you to network with professionals and gain valuable insights into the industry.