Should I become a high school science and engineering teacher?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Stephenk53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's enjoyment of engineering and their dislike for building things under someone else's criteria. They also mention their interest in DIY projects and teaching. The individual is considering becoming a science and basic engineering teacher at the high school level, but there is a discussion about the restrictions and guidelines that come with teaching at that level. The conversation also brings up the idea that teaching can be rewarding but may not fulfill the individual's love for engineering if they struggle with constraints imposed by others. Overall, the conversation highlights the individual's desire for independence and control in their work.
Stephenk53
I enjoy engineering particularly electrical engineering but I absolutely hate building things under someone else, such as say I was working on a project in school and have a very select few things I can make and they have a large set of criteria I must meet. I prefer to generally do things myself instead of following a large set of criteria or with others. What is strange is that, that only applies to building things with my hands especially if I have to build it with others. Furthermore I enjoy doing DIY projects and I like teaching, general science and psychology as well. So I was thinking about going into being a science and basic engineering teacher at the high school level. Do you think that is a good idea or if I should do something else?

By the way, I know teachers must follow criteria but as far as I know they are more free to choose how the class is run than say an engineer can choose projects.

Physics news on Phys.org
Teaching kids in the age of 6-12 is very interesting, because it is challenging in terms of introducing to them new concepts of reasoning, which may have more joyful results than with older children or students. You can consider that.

Stephenk53 said:
I enjoy engineering particularly electrical engineering but I absolutely hate building things under someone else, such as say I was working on a project in school and have a very select few things I can make and they have a large set of criteria I must meet. I prefer to generally do things myself instead of following a large set of criteria or with others. What is strange is that, that only applies to building things with my hands especially if I have to build it with others. Furthermore I enjoy doing DIY projects and I like teaching, general science and psychology as well. So I was thinking about going into being a science and basic engineering teacher at the high school level. Do you think that is a good idea or if I should do something else?

Wait, they teach "engineering" in high school now?

By the way, I know teachers must follow criteria but as far as I know they are more free to choose how the class is run than say an engineer can choose projects.

Since when? High-school and pre-college curriculum have a lot of restrictions and guidelines. Why do you think pre-college teachers need teaching certificates to be able to teach at such a level, while college instructors don't? Do you think you'll be able to do whatever you want if your students do not perform well in those standardized tests?

Unless you work for yourself or own your own business, EVERY job will have restrictions and criteria. After all, someone is paying you to do something in return.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Wait, they teach "engineering" in high school now?
Since when? High-school and pre-college curriculum have a lot of restrictions and guidelines. Why do you think pre-college teachers need teaching certificates to be able to teach at such a level, while college instructors don't? Do you think you'll be able to do whatever you want if your students do not perform well in those standardized tests?

Unless you work for yourself or own your own business, EVERY job will have restrictions and criteria. After all, someone is paying you to do something in return.

Zz.

I said that from engineering you could teach school children. I have, and it is very rewarding!

Engineering is all about constraints - optimizing performance per the specs while minimizing costs, weight, space, etc. In the real world, these constraints are usually imposed by independent parties.

You don't really love engineering if you hate constraints imposed by others. Your plan seems destined to fulfill the maxim, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

You may teach what you know, but you impart who you are. We don't need a bunch of graduates who think they love engineering but hate the constraints.

OP seems to have some control issues. There will always be someone telling you what to do or how to do it, engineering or not. Concerning these specific situations of projects in school, these projects they have you do are specifically designed to teach you something. They can be fun, but that is not their primary goal. Think of each project like a puzzle. Puzzles wouldn't be any fun if you could just do whatever you wanted. The fun is figuring out how to do it with what you've been given. Like MacGyver.

Related to Should I become a high school science and engineering teacher?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a field?

When deciding what field to pursue, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and career goals. You should also research the job market and potential salary for different fields, as well as the education and training required.

2. Should I choose a field based on job availability?

While job availability is an important factor to consider, it should not be the sole determining factor in choosing a field. It is important to choose a field that aligns with your interests and strengths, as this will lead to greater job satisfaction and potential for growth in the long run.

3. How do I know if a field is a good fit for me?

One way to determine if a field is a good fit for you is to gain hands-on experience through internships, volunteering, or job shadowing. You can also talk to professionals in the field and ask them about their experiences and how they got started in their careers.

4. Do I need to have a specific degree for a certain field?

Some fields may require a specific degree, while others may be more flexible. It is important to research the education and training requirements for your desired field and make sure you are willing to commit to the necessary coursework and experience.

5. Can I switch fields later on in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch fields later on in your career. Many people change careers multiple times throughout their lives. It is important to continue learning and gaining new skills to make the transition smoother. Networking and building connections in your desired field can also help with the transition.