Should I Be Enjoying My Physics Internship?

In summary, this summer has not been very inspiring for me. I've been spending most of my time doing trivial research tasks instead of working on more interesting projects. I'm glad that I've learned how to use a bunch of different software tools, but I would rather have been using that time to work on bugs in my previous job.
hylander4
This summer I've been working in an experimental cosmology lab, and its really not inspiring me to go into the field of experimental cosmology at all. At first I was pretty gung-ho about everything, but the work never really got interesting. I spend half my week looking up information about trivial things on the internet, about an hour actually thinking about a problem, and then the rest of the week writing a report about the tiny problem that I solved.

I'm glad that I've learned how to use a bunch of different software sweets, but, honestly, I had more fun (and got paid more for) killing bugs last summer than I'm having in this internship.

Did you guys enjoy your internships? Is this a bad sign for me if I had been thinking of a Physics PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's wise to compare the work of an internship with that of a Ph.D. holder. :wink:

My advice is to give it some time. There's nothing wrong with finding out what you don't like about a subject.

All jobs, especially internships, suck until you prove yourself by competently executing menial tasks. Once you master coffee 101 [or lunch boy], your stock will rise. Einstein got his start as a patent clerk - you think he didn't lick any boots?

hylander4 said:
I spend half my week looking up information about trivial things on the internet, about an hour actually thinking about a problem, and then the rest of the week writing a report about the tiny problem that I solved.

Apart from occassionally substituting "grant proposal" for report, that's not too different from a week of mine.

Dembadon said:
I don't think it's wise to compare the work of an internship with that of a Ph.D. holder. :wink:

Except that in this case, it's pretty close to what a typical graduate student/post-doc/professor does.

Vanadium 50 said:
Apart from occassionally substituting "grant proposal" for report, that's not too different from a week of mine.

twofish-quant said:
Except that in this case, it's pretty close to what a typical graduate student/post-doc/professor does.

Good to know!

Related to Should I Be Enjoying My Physics Internship?

1. Should I have prior experience in physics before applying for a physics internship?

While prior experience in physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary for a physics internship. Many internships are designed for students who are just starting their physics journey, so don't be discouraged if you don't have much experience.

2. What skills will I gain from a physics internship?

A physics internship can help you develop a variety of skills, including data analysis, problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication. These are valuable skills that can be applied in many fields, not just in physics.

3. Will I be working on research projects during my physics internship?

It depends on the specific internship program and your level of experience. Some internships may involve research projects, while others may focus on assisting with ongoing experiments or learning new techniques. Be sure to read the internship description carefully to understand the expectations.

4. Can I expect to be paid for my physics internship?

While some internships may offer a stipend or salary, many are unpaid. However, the experience and skills you gain during your internship can be invaluable for your future career. Additionally, some internships may offer academic credit or the opportunity to present your work at conferences.

5. How can I make the most out of my physics internship?

To make the most out of your physics internship, it is important to have a positive attitude, be proactive, and ask questions. Take advantage of any opportunities to learn new skills or work on projects. Be open to feedback and use the experience to network and make connections in the field.