Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams

In summary, the problem is analyzing a cantilever beam with a fixed end A, a uniformly distributed load of 3kN/m over 6m, and a point load of 10kN at B. The reaction at A is 28 kN and there is shear at B due to the point load. The shear force at B is 10 kN. However, the shear force at B would be 0 if it were a free end. The shear and bending moment diagrams can be found by taking the derivative of the moment function and using the correct lever arm.
Saladsamurai
Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams!

Homework Statement

Picture1-2.png

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd and 3rd

The Attempt at a Solution

So my main confusion is this:

I found the reaction at A to be 19 kN

If I make a vertical cut through some arbitrary point along the beam and and do some analysis I get:

From the left portion:
[tex]\downarrow +\sum F_y=0\Rightarrow V-19+3x=0\Rightarrow V=19-3x[/tex]

Now if I take the right portion I get:
[tex]\uparrow +\sumFy=0\Rightarrow V-10-[3(6-x)]=0\Rightarrow V=28-3x[/tex]

Now which do I use? Or How do I go from what I have to a shear diagram?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Or am I making this too difficult? Should I just look at the left portion?

Who am I kidding. . . no one looks in this forum.

The problem is one of a cantilever beam with a fixed end A, with a uniformly distributed load 3kN/m over 6 m (or 18 kN) and a point load of 10 kN at B.

The reaction at A must = 3 kN/m * 6 m + 10 kN or 28 kN.

The loads place a shear on the end A. There is no shear at B.

See if this helps - http://em-ntserver.unl.edu/NEGAHBAN/Em325/10a-shear-and-bending-moment/Shear%20stress%20in%20beams.htm

http://physics.uwstout.edu/StatStr/statics/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Astronuc. I screwed up my reaction force at A. It should be 28. Thus, the equation is the same.

WHat the hell am I doing now?! Why can't I get this. My shearing function should be the derivative of my moment function, which is not the case. Here's my work.

Picture2.png

When you cut (section) a distributed force i see you use the incorrect lever arm, you know the force if it was concentraded it'll be acting at the centroid of the figure formed by the distribution force, therefore the lever arm for 3x should be x/2.

Astronuc said:
The problem is one of a cantilever beam with a fixed end A, with a uniformly distributed load 3kN/m over 6 m (or 18 kN) and a point load of 10 kN at B.

The reaction at A must = 3 kN/m * 6 m + 10 kN or 28 kN.

The loads place a shear on the end A. There is no shear at B.

How is there no shear at B. If V=28-3x than at B V(6)=28-3(6)=10kn

Saladsamurai said:
How is there no shear at B. If V=28-3x than at B V(6)=28-3(6)=10kn

Yes, there is shear at B because of the point load at the end. Astronuc probably didn't notice the point load, because he is correct for the case without it.

Thanks!

given that the problem is one of a cantilever there will be no shear force at B since it is a free end and there is nothing for the beam end to bear upon or shear across.

Related to Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams

1. What is a Shear and Bending Moment Diagram?

A Shear and Bending Moment Diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces and moments that act on a beam at different locations. It shows the changes in shear force and bending moment along the length of the beam.

2. Why are Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams important?

Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams are important because they help engineers and designers determine the structural integrity of a beam and ensure that it can withstand the applied loads. They also aid in identifying the critical points of a beam, such as maximum shear and bending moment, which are essential in the design process.

3. How are Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams drawn?

Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams are drawn using the equations of equilibrium and the relationships between shear force, bending moment, and distributed loads. The process involves calculating the values of shear force and bending moment at different points along the beam and then plotting them on a graph.

4. What information can be obtained from a Shear and Bending Moment Diagram?

A Shear and Bending Moment Diagram provides information about the internal forces and moments acting on a beam, including the magnitude and location of maximum shear force and bending moment. It also shows the points of zero shear and zero moment, which are important in determining the beam's support and loading conditions.

5. How do Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams affect the design of a structure?

Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams play a crucial role in the design of a structure as they provide key information about the beam's behavior under different loading conditions. This information is used to determine the appropriate size and shape of the beam and the required supports to ensure the structure's stability and safety.