Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,556
BillTre said:
These are baby caecillians. [...]
Aren't those a Klingon delicacy, seen occasionally on Star Trek?

• Haha
Likes Ibix and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,557
Rolig hund.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes BillTre, Ibix, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #2,558
I've heard of bookworms. Bookdogs are new to me...

• Haha
Likes Bystander and DennisN
  • #2,559
Ibix said:
I've heard of bookworms. Bookdogs are new to me...
You've never dog-eared a book? :oldwink:

Likes jtbell, Ibix, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #2,560
:smile:

Rolig hund och katt.jpg

Likes jtbell, strangerep, collinsmark and 4 others
  • #2,561
My Thai girlfriend loves her cat
1697760280077.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, DennisN and strangerep
  • #2,562
Screenshot_2023-10-20-07-42-35-67.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
  • #2,563
morrobay said:
My Thai girlfriend loves her cat
The cat doesn't seem quite as keen...

Caption for the cat: "Oh dear lord! I know I have to put up with this, but... sheesh!"

• Haha
Likes DennisN and morrobay
  • #2,564
Nature wins. Always!

_nc_ohc=z42taqqJ9oAAX_V9V-6&_nc_ht=scontent-fra5-2.jpg

Likes DennisN, morrobay and Bystander
  • #2,565
From FB today -- made me laugh out loud... :smile:

1697819595752.png

• Haha
Likes fresh_42, collinsmark, strangerep and 5 others
  • #2,567
Anybody else think the eagle on the right is saying "One more squawk out of you, young man..."?

• Haha
Likes BillTre, DennisN and berkeman
  • #2,568
_nc_ohc=0LS65Ay6BkQAX9uEHj1&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-1.jpg

• Wow
Likes DennisN, Rive, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #2,569
  • #2,570
  • Informative
Likes Bystander
  • #2,571
Part of my drive into work this morning. I had just dimmed my lights for a car ahead...

• Wow
Likes DennisN and Ibix
  • #2,573
morrobay said:
You really are better off programing your self to hit the deer. https://www.thesilverlining.com/safety-tips/deer-vs.-car-collisions
Well, not necessarily hit the deerbie, but do your best to brake in a straight line to minimize any injuries or damage. And the corrollary is to always follow other vehicles at a safe distance so you can brake and avoid a collision if they slam on their brakes for a reason that you don't immediately see. Don't ask me how I know this... :wink:

Likes phinds and BillTre
  • #2,574
berkeman said:
Well, not necessarily hit the deerbie, but do your best to brake in a straight line to minimize any injuries or damage. And the corrollary is to always follow other vehicles at a safe distance so you can brake and avoid a collision if they slam on their brakes for a reason that you don't immediately see. Don't ask me how I know this... :wink:
It also depends on the mass and shape. E.g. collision with a horse can be deadly, and a deer with big antlers crashing through your windshield? I don't know, doesn't sound like a good idea. The advice is because people crash with trees trying to escape the situation which is definitely worse than crashing with an animal.

A pilot once said to me: Airplanes are actually very safe as long as you have sufficient altitude. And driving cars through their territory is safe as long as you are sufficiently slow.

• #2,575
berkeman said:
And the corrollary is to always follow other vehicles at a safe distance so you can brake and avoid a collision if they slam on their brakes for a reason that you don't immediately see.

In Sweden I've been taught a "three seconds" rule/guideline, which basically means you keep a minimum distance (to the car in front of you) which corresponds to three seconds, in order to give time for reaction and braking.

You measure the time by taking a mental note when the car in front of you passes a certain thing (e.g some line on the road, a sign, a tree or something). Then you count "1001, 1002, 1003" and note when you pass the same thing. If you pass the thing before "1003" you are too close to the car in front.

I don't know if this is a widespread guideline, but I thought I could share it.

Regarding close calls, I remember we once were very close to colliding with a moose who had decided to cross the road during twilight. Luckily my father had quick reactions and good control of the car. It was darn scary, the moose was BIG.

Likes berkeman and strangerep
  • #2,576
DennisN said:
You measure the time by taking a mental note when the car in front of you passes a certain thing (e.g some line on the road, a sign, a tree or something. Then you count "1001, 1002, 1003" and note when you pass the same thing. If you pass the thing before "1003" you are too close to the car in front
On motorways (~110 kph) in my part of the world, some/many drivers instinctively use the rule "1, oh that'll do". :oldfrown:

• Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #2,577
DennisN said:
In Sweden I've been taught a "three seconds" rule/guideline, which basically means you keep a minimum distance (to the car in front of you) which corresponds to three seconds, in order to give time for reaction and braking.

You measure the time by taking a mental note when the car in front of you passes a certain thing (e.g some line on the road, a sign, a tree or something. Then you count "1001, 1002, 1003" and note when you pass the same thing. If you pass the thing before "1003" you are too close to the car in front.

I don't know if this is widespread guideline, but I thought I could share it.
Our rule of thumb is "half the tacho", e.g. 60 meters at 120 km/h. Well, that was before ABS and alike. Now that I think of it, your 3 second rule wouldn't work on our highways. No chance.

DennisN said:
Regarding close calls, I remember we once were very close to colliding with a moose who had decided to cross the road during twilight. Luckily my father had quick reactions and good control of the car. It was darn scary, the moose was BIG.
I once had a colleague who regularly practiced a turn on the spot (with the help of the handbrake). This transforms the linear moment into a circular moment. But you have to learn it.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #2,578
Here in Silicon Valley, 3 seconds is a bit too much. 2 seconds of stopping distance is more practical.

For those of us that ride sportbikes, remember that if the car in front of you rear-ends the car in front of them, they will stop VERY quickly...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #2,579
strangerep said:
in my part of the world, some/many drivers instinctively use the rule "1, oh that'll do".
Something like this? 😅

• #2,580
strangerep said:
On motorways (~110 kph) in my part of the world, some/many drivers instinctively use the rule "1, oh that'll do". :oldfrown:
Come on over and practice! I have heard that there are travel agencies that offer visits to Germany only to drive on our highways.

I remember when I came back from the US, I tried to drive the same way and obeyed the rules - for two days. I was a moving obstacle. On day three I decided to become a comoving observer again.

• #2,581
fresh_42 said:
Now that I think of it, your 3 second rule wouldn't work on our highways. No chance.

My memory of the German Autobahn is that there are three lanes:

Right lane: Pretty chill, but still quite fast.
Edit: The lane for trucks, busses and older drivers.

Center lane: Faster.
Edit: The usual lane for most cars.

Left lane: Are you kidding me? Where's the fire?
Edit: In this lane we find occasional appearances of police cars and ambulances going at high speeds. And people with fast cars and/or in a real hurry. And the occasional mad scientist who tries to reach an orbit around the Earth by car.

That is, if my memory serves me; @fresh_42 maybe can correct me if I remember wrong.

Last edited:
  • #2,582
DennisN said:
My memory of the German Autobahn is that there are three lanes:

Right lane: Pretty chill, but still quite fast.
You have another kind of stress on the right lane. It is meanwhile so full of trucks, bumper to bumper, all at their allowed maximal speed (plus minus 1km/h which drives you mad when they overtake each other), that you have to plan exits miles ahead!
DennisN said:
Center lane: Faster.
Here is where war starts. Some feel the need to "educate" others. I can tell you: 2 meters at 180 km/h is really close. And that was only to signal me that I had to leave the left lane earlier in the other one's mind.
DennisN said:
Left lane: Are you kidding me? Where's the fire?

This is as long as no problem until some idiot from the center lane crawls over ignoring the fire alarm.

In the US, you become a squinter because you have to read hundreds of texts all the time instead of following international traffic sign conventions. They write and write and write. Either you learn to squint or pay a lot of tickets.

In Germany, you have to squint if you use the left lane because you constantly have to watch the idiots on the right, and the guy with the headlight flasher behind you.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #2,583
berkeman said:
2 seconds of stopping distance is more practical.
I learned "Only a fool breaks the two second rule". It takes about two seconds to say, so doubles as a check that you're sticking to it.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #2,584
morrobay said:
You really are better off programing your self to hit the deer. https://www.thesilverlining.com/safety-tips/deer-vs.-car-collisions
I'm aware that generally you shouldn't swerve. I'm probably a bit differently wired than most drivers because I'm constantly thinking about where my escape points are when I'm driving. Swerving off the road or into oncoming traffic doesn't qualify as an escape point. :oldwink:

I'm also aware of the torque forces that would occur if I did impact something during a swerve which is why I keep my speed down in the early morning. It's also why I am less likely to swerve when I'm in traffic.

• #2,585
_nc_ohc=e3whuuwZOo8AX_yoQWT&_nc_ht=scontent-fra5-1.jpg

• Love
Likes Rive, BillTre, phinds and 1 other person
  • #2,586
Quiz Question: When you see a cute baby animal, of a large and dangerous animal, running toward you, what should you do?

• #2,587
For reference, the only animals I've ever run away from in the woods (I usually am armed) are a skunk and a baby bear...

• Haha
Likes DennisN and BillTre
  • #2,588
berkeman said:
For reference, the only animals I've ever run away from in the woods (I usually am armed) are a skunk and a baby bear...
Well, bear cubs are rarely alone and mama bear is definitely dangerous, and - unfortunately - skunks haven't signed the Geneva Protocol that forbids chemical weapons. The chances to meet a baby elephant in the US are pretty manageable.

Likes berkeman
  • #2,589
Moose and Squirrel Bison babies would also be good to avoid.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,590
BillTre said:
Moose and Squirrel Bison babies would also be good to avoid.
And white bunnies as we all know.

Likes BillTre