Semantics making Bernoulli's Eq KILLER see if you can make sense

• Thread starter missnola2a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli's
In summary, a pipe carrying fluid with a density of 873 kg/m3 along a 140 m high smooth hill has a speed of 6.5 m/s at the bottom. The diameter of the crude oil pipe line at the top of the hill is reduced by a factor of 5. This results in a change in the area of the pipe and a change in the speed of the oil. The potential energy gained by the oil as it moves from the bottom to the top of the hill can be calculated using the equation P1 + 1/2 rho V1^2 + rho*g*Y1 = P2 + 1/2 rho V2^2. The change in pressure in the pipe line during this
missnola2a
**semantics making Bernoulli's Eq KILLER! see if you can make sense

Homework Statement

a pipe that carries a fluid ρ = 873 kg/m3 lies along the slope of a smooth hill which is 140 m high. The speed of the liquid at the bottom of the hill is 6.5 m/s. The diameter of the crude oil pipe line at the top of the hill reduces by a factor 5. Please answer the following:
Hint
(a) By what factor the area of the oil pipe line reduces at the top of the hill?

(b) What is the ratio of speeds of the oil from the bottom of the hill to the top of the hill?

(c) How much potential energy per unit volume the oil gains as it moves from the bottom to the top of the hill?
J/m3
(d) What is the change in pressure in the pipe line during this motion along the hill?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK ... so I first of all am confused by this because I can't tell if the pipe starts at the bottom of the hill and goes up or vice versa.

This may not matter mathematically, but I am a conceputal person.

That said,
a1v1=a2v2

(pie drops out)
r1^2 v1= r2^2 v2

this is where i am a little stuck, should it be 5r1=r2
OR r2=r1/5

this changes the equation a lot. after I get v2 (or v1) I put it into origional

P1 + 1/2 rho V1^2 + rho*g*Y1 = P2 + 1/2 rho V2^2

*** assuming that PE for 2 is 0, but again, i am confused as to where in the system Y=0

thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, first you could assume that the pipe starts at the top and then see if there is enough kinetic energy to make it to the top. Also, it says that the diameter of the crude oil pipe line at the top of the hill reduces by a factor 5

So, the diameter at the top of the hill is 5 times smaller than at the bottom.

!

First of all, semantics refers to the meaning and interpretation of words and phrases. Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a closed system. Therefore, the phrase "Semantics making Bernoulli's Eq KILLER" does not make sense in this context.

Moving on to the problem, it seems that the pipe starts at the bottom of the hill and goes up. This means that the oil is gaining potential energy as it moves up the hill, and the pressure will decrease as the velocity increases.

To answer the questions:

(a) The area of the pipe line reduces by a factor of 25 (5^2) at the top of the hill. This is because the diameter is reduced by a factor of 5, which means the area is reduced by a factor of 25.

(b) The ratio of speeds will be the inverse of the ratio of diameters, since the volume flow rate must remain constant. So the ratio of speeds will be 1/5.

(c) The potential energy gained per unit volume can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass per unit volume (rho), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height gained. So the potential energy gained per unit volume will be (873 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(140 m) = 1,235,320 J/m^3.

(d) To calculate the change in pressure, we can use the Bernoulli's equation P1 + 1/2 rho V1^2 + rho*g*Y1 = P2 + 1/2 rho V2^2. Since the elevation is increasing, Y1 < Y2 and thus the pressure at the top of the hill (P2) will be lower than at the bottom (P1). The change in pressure will be negative, indicating a decrease in pressure.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Remember to always pay attention to the given information and units, and to think about the physical meaning behind the equations. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Semantics making Bernoulli's Eq KILLER see if you can make sense

1. What is the meaning of "Semantics making Bernoulli's Eq KILLER"?

"Semantics" refers to the study of meaning in language, while "Bernoulli's Eq" is a mathematical equation used to calculate the flow of a fluid. The phrase "KILLER" could suggest that the combination of semantics and Bernoulli's Eq is particularly effective or powerful in some way.

2. How does semantics play a role in understanding Bernoulli's Eq?

Semantics is important in understanding Bernoulli's Eq because it helps us make sense of the terminology and symbols used in the equation. Without a clear understanding of the meaning behind the equation, it would be difficult to accurately interpret and use it.

3. Can semantics be used to improve the understanding of Bernoulli's Eq?

Yes, by breaking down the language and symbols used in Bernoulli's Eq and examining their individual meanings, we can gain a deeper understanding of the equation and its applications. Semantics can also help us identify any ambiguities or inconsistencies in the equation.

4. Are there any challenges in using semantics to understand Bernoulli's Eq?

While semantics can be useful in understanding Bernoulli's Eq, there may be challenges in accurately defining and interpreting the meaning of certain terms and symbols. This is especially true when dealing with complex equations and technical language.

5. How can I make sense of "Semantics making Bernoulli's Eq KILLER"?

To make sense of this phrase, it may be helpful to break it down and consider the individual meanings of each word. Semantics refers to the study of meaning, while Bernoulli's Eq is a mathematical equation. The word "KILLER" could suggest that the combination of these two elements is particularly effective or powerful. Ultimately, understanding the phrase may require further context or explanation.