What is the pressure of the fluid at a constriction in a vertical pipe?

In summary, an incompressible fluid is flowing through a vertical pipe with a constriction. The wide section is 2.00 cm in diameter and is at the top of the pipe with a pressure of 200 kPa and velocity of 4.00 m/s. The narrow section is 1 cm in diameter and located 2.00 m below the wide section. Using the Continuity and Bernoulli's equations, the pressure in the narrow section can be found to be 99.6 kPa, which is not one of the multiple choice answers. Another similar problem with an incline and angle of 20.0 degrees resulted in a pressure of 277 kPa, again not matching any of the given choices
AlvinS

Homework Statement

An incompressible fluid is flowing through a vertical pipe with a constriction. The wide section is 2.00 cm in diameter and is at the top of the pipe. The pressure of the fluid in the wide section at the top is 200 kPa. The velocity of the fluid in the wide section is 4.00 m/s. The narrow section is 1cm in diameter and is located 2.00 m below the wide section. What is the pressure of the fluid in the narrow section (density of the fluid is 1,000 kg/m3)?

diameter1= 2cm
P1= 200kPa
v1= 4m/s

diameter2=1cm
P2=?
v1=?

height= 2

Homework Equations

Continuity
A1v1=A2v2

Bernoullis equation
.5dv1^2+dgy1+P1= .5dv2^2+dgy2+P2

where d is density, g is gravity, and v is velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

Ugh I've been on this for a long time.
So i found the velocity of V2 by using the continuity equation. I switched all my units to cm then i converted it back to m.

Then i plugged in everything into bernoullis equation and solved for pressure2. this is what i put in.

.5(1000)4^s + 1000(9.8)2 + 200000= .5(1000)16^2 + P2

I came up with an answer but its not one of the mutiple choices. Please put me in the right direction, my last 3 questions are similar and i have a feeling I am doing something totaly wrong. I am so tired.. please help, thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your set-up appears to be correct. What is the answer you get?

I get 99.6kPa.

The choices are:
72 kPa
80 kPa
95 kPa
105 kPa
116 kPa

I get what you get. Using g= 10N/kg, I get 100,000 Pa. I believe the selections are incorrect. It happens. Rest assured, you understand the problem. What are some of the other "wrong" ones?

An incompressible fluid is flowing through a pipe with a constriction. The pipe is on an incline with an angle of 20.0 degrees. The narrow section is 15.0 m from the wide section and the narrow section is lower than the wide section. The velocity of the fluid in the wide section of the pipe is 6.00 m/s and the velocity of the fluid in the narrow section of pipe is 9.00 m/s. The pressure of the fluid in the wide section is 250 kPa. What is the pressure in the narrow section of the pipe (density of the fluid is 1,000 kg/m3)?

For this one i found the height by

15cos20= 5.13

Then i just plugged in everything into bernoulli's equation.

.5(1000)6^2 + 1000(9.8)5.13 + 250000 = .5(1000)9^2 + P2

I got like 277 kPa, which when i think about it doesn't make sense because i though greater velocity resulted in less pressure, then again the whole gravity thing. I don't know anymore! I am so tired, its 4am, i live in japan. And i have exam on this stuff tomorrow. I am pretty mad that the selections are incorrect, but please check meon this one.

The selections for this problem are:
228 kPa
203 kPa
195 kPa
167 kPa
145 kPa

AlvinS said:
I got like 277 kPa, which when i think about it doesn't make sense because i though greater velocity resulted in less pressure, then again the whole gravity thing. I don't know anymore! I am so tired, its 4am, i live in japan. And i have exam on this stuff tomorrow. I am pretty mad that the selections are incorrect, but please check meon this one.

The selections for this problem are:
228 kPa
203 kPa
195 kPa
167 kPa
145 kPa

You are again correct. Get some sleep. THe increased velocity tends to decreas the pressure, but the additional depth more than makes up for it. That is, the 5 m of depth causes more increase in pressure than the additional speed.

You understand it. Get some sleep!

Related to What is the pressure of the fluid at a constriction in a vertical pipe?

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and what does it describe?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. It states that the sum of the pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy per unit volume remains constant along a streamline in a steady flow.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation is derived from the conservation of mass and conservation of energy principles, which state that mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed. By applying these principles to a fluid flowing along a streamline, Bernoulli's equation can be derived.

3. What is the significance of Bernoulli's equation in real-world applications?

Bernoulli's equation is a powerful tool in understanding and predicting fluid flows in various applications, such as in aircraft design, hydraulic systems, and even weather patterns. It is also used in the field of aerodynamics to explain the lift force generated by an airfoil.

4. What assumptions are made in Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation makes several assumptions, including: the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and the fluid is non-viscous (frictionless). These assumptions allow for a simplified analysis of fluid dynamics, but may not always accurately reflect real-world situations.

5. How can Bernoulli's equation be applied to problems in fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's equation can be applied to various problems in fluid mechanics by using it to calculate unknown variables such as pressure, velocity, or elevation. It can also be used to compare different fluid flow scenarios and predict the behavior of a fluid in a given situation.