Self-Study Math: Pre Algebra to Integral Calc

• Thread starter thetexan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-study
In summary, Serge recommends using free resources like Khan Academy and Alison.com to brush up on your maths before taking a real class. He also recommends studying at least level 1 of math courses offered by Open University.
thetexan
I'm fascinated with math and regret I never really pursued it. I want to self study to bring myself up to the point of being able to understand differential and integral calculus. I was good at algebra but I want to review and study a step by step syllabus.

So what are the areas of math studied in high school and college that takes you from pre algebra to integral calc?

Pre algebra...
Geometry...
Trig...
Etc...
Etc...
Integral calc

Physics news on Phys.org
The names of courses could be

Algebra I
Algebra II
Pre-calculus
Calculus I (Diiferential calculus)
Calculus II (Integral calculus)

Often the subjects of geometry and trigonometry are covered in the course Pre-calculus. Some schools have courses titled Geometry and Trigonometry.

Have you studied particular mathematics that you find interesting? Or is it just the general idea of learning mathematics that interests you?

There are several areas that interest me but I know I am not ready to pursue them until I brush up on what I should know and study calculus at a minimum.

tex

The maths syllabus for the UK high schools is available online here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/GCSE/period-1/Higher/module.php

It's all worked videos, step by step. After "GCSE" there are several A-level modules on the same site.

Might be a good place to start to see what you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are great online resources from places like MIT: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=mathematics. I would mix it up with more popular books like "The shape of Space" or "Who is Fourier?" (I would suggest starting with what I consider to be easy books, but the last time I did that I got some screams of anguish on how difficult the math was in them. )

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an huge difference between self-studying and taking a real class. When you're self-studying, you won't feel the sting of a bad grade on a test, which, in a normal class where you must pass, would propel you to studying for ungodly amounts of time out of desperation. The structure of a class is also very important. If you're really set on self-studying, though, I would recommend educator's courses (I have the ones from Pre-Calc, all the way up to Calc II). I think they provide a pretty fair representation of what you'd encounter in a real class, less the tests, of course.

Hello:

when I finally decided to study physics, I've noticed that my maths weren't all up to speed due to a background in humanities.

The most helpful website I found for maths is https://www.khanacademy.org/ (of course free). Which is a really good source to study maths from the very beginning up to any level you like. And you can follow from pre-algebra to advanced maths. It has tons of tutorials, as well as step-by-step videos. And you can track your record and see how you performed.
Another good source (also free) is http://alison.com/ here you can register online for courses of several subjects.

I would also recommend Open University. Is no free, but the math courses at level 1 (10,30 and 60 credits) are fascinating and will bring you up to speed with the maths you need at higher levels of physics. Then you can always continue at level II and III. Another option, before you enrol on any course, is to try them for free with http://www.open.edu/openlearn/ also from Open University. And decide if you want to do any.

Hope that helps.

Related to Self-Study Math: Pre Algebra to Integral Calc

1. What is self-study math?

Self-study math refers to the practice of learning math on your own, without a teacher or formal classroom setting. This can involve using textbooks, online resources, or other materials to guide your learning.

2. Can I teach myself pre-algebra and advanced calculus?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself pre-algebra and advanced calculus through self-study. With dedication and the right resources, anyone can learn these subjects.

3. How do I know if I am ready to move on to the next level of math?

A good way to know if you are ready to move on to the next level of math is to test yourself on the material you have been studying. If you are able to solve problems and understand concepts without relying on external resources, then you may be ready to move on.

4. Is self-study math as effective as traditional classroom learning?

This can vary depending on the individual and their learning style. Some people may find self-study to be just as effective, if not more so, than traditional classroom learning. However, others may benefit more from the structure and guidance of a classroom setting.

5. How can I stay motivated while teaching myself math?

Staying motivated while teaching yourself math can be challenging, but here are a few tips to help: set specific goals, take breaks when needed, find a study group or accountability partner, and remind yourself of the benefits of learning math. It may also be helpful to switch up your study methods and use a variety of resources to keep things interesting.