Self study -- how to choose assignments?

In summary, the reader is seeking advice on how to effectively learn electrical engineering circuit analysis from Irwin without being a student at a university. They are currently doing 3 assignments per page, but are unsure which assignments will truly help them understand the subject. Some assignments require knowledge of linear algebra, which they have not yet learned. The advice given is to either pause and learn the necessary linear algebra or do all the assignments to ensure nothing is missed. The reader will take this into consideration and adjust their plan accordingly.
Neutron1
Hello reader,

I am trying to learn electrical engineering circuit analysis from Irwin. I am wondering which assignments would help me really understand the learned subjects. I am not a student and I am not going to any university so I cannot ask a teacher.

My method for now is doing 3 assignments per page. So for chapter one I do around 21 assignments and the exam. However some assigntments are very similar and easy to do, even though I try to choose difficult ones. Also another problem that I encountered is that some assignments need linear algebra, which I have not learned just yet. So how can I pick assignments that really are helpful and benefit me?

Hopefully someone has some advice, and my apologies if I posted this in a wrong section.

Thank you for your help and time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two thoughts come to mind.
1) Pause and go learn the necessary linear algebra to be sure you are not missing something important there:
2) Do all the problems. Then you will know you have not skipped anything that was there to be learned.

Dr.D said:
Two thoughts come to mind.
1) Pause and go learn the necessary linear algebra to be sure you are not missing something important there:
2) Do all the problems. Then you will know you have not skipped anything that was there to be learned.

1) That is a good idea. Learning linear algebra that is necessary to understand circuit analysis better. I do have to change my planning accordingly.

2) Doing all the problems is a hassle I think. Before I posted my question on this forum I had not started doing any assignments, but I learned very quickly that assignments are very alike. So I will do a lot of them and deduce which are really necessary.

Thanks for your answers :)

Related to Self study -- how to choose assignments?

1. How do I choose the right assignments for self-study?

When choosing assignments for self-study, it is important to first consider your goals and interests. Think about what you want to learn and what areas you want to improve in. You can also consult with a mentor or advisor for guidance.

2. How many assignments should I take on at once?

The number of assignments you take on at once will depend on your personal schedule and workload. It is important to not overwhelm yourself and take on a manageable number of assignments at a time. Quality over quantity is key in self-study.

3. Should I focus on one subject or have a variety of assignments?

It is recommended to have a mix of assignments that cover different subjects. This will help you develop a well-rounded understanding and prevent burnout from focusing too much on one subject. However, if you have a specific goal or area of expertise, it may be beneficial to focus on related assignments.

4. How do I know if an assignment is right for me?

Aside from considering your goals and interests, it is important to also assess the difficulty level and your current knowledge on the subject. It is okay to challenge yourself, but make sure the assignment is not too far beyond your capabilities. It should also align with your learning style and resources.

5. Can I create my own assignments for self-study?

Absolutely! In fact, creating your own assignments can be a great way to personalize your self-study experience. You can tailor the assignments to your interests and learning style, and make them as challenging or flexible as you want. Just be sure to have a clear set of objectives and a plan in place for completing the assignments.