Scientific-sounding gobbledygook found by trolling PF posts

• Thread starter Melbourne Guy
  • Start date
In summary, the woman was explaining that the event horizon in the story is teleological and is related to the unfeigned event horizon.
Melbourne Guy
Whenever I need a convincing hard sci-fi description, I troll PF - and usually I start with the "Beyond the Standard Model" forum - for concepts that will come across as convincingly nerdy. Here's the latest from my current novel, and I wondered whether anyone else trolls PF for such content?

“The situation here,” the woman said seriously, “is that the event horizon is teleological.” Flannigan had almost stopped listening then, figuring that if there was a term he did not understand in the first sentence, then he was not going to comprehend the rest of it. “Its location depends on its entire future spacetime, with no local counterpart. Within the Freeman manifold, an apparent event horizon is co-located with the unfeigned event horizon, and the metric tensor encodes a deformation of the Minkowski distance formula that varies from point to point in a fractional symmetry breaking fashion. Bailin gauge groups trigger the apparent horizon to discontinuously jump to the unfeigned horizon across the radius topology of compactification in four dimensions on an elliptically fibered CY 4-fold, expanding the isometric torsion...”

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the humorous way you use the word “troll” as either the verb or the noun.

Maybe the word “trawl” might be more appropriate these days, unless of course you are a troll and I have taken the bait.

Likes Astronuc and russ_watters
I'm the antitheses of a troll, @Baluncore, never fear, there was no bait intended or implied.

And while I meant the verb somewhat tongue in cheek, you're right, trawl is an equally appropriate word. Either way, there is such a cornucopia of science writing in PF that constructing snippets of dialogue or handwavium descriptions for sci-fi stories is terrifically easy! And it comes across as solidly authentic...because it is :biggrin:

It is just another benefit of the forums, albeit one that might not generally immediately evident to authors.

Related to Scientific-sounding gobbledygook found by trolling PF posts

1. What is "scientific-sounding gobbledygook"?

"Scientific-sounding gobbledygook" refers to language or terminology that may sound complex or technical, but is actually meaningless or nonsensical. It is often used to make something seem more legitimate or credible, but in reality, it has no scientific basis.

2. Why do people use "scientific-sounding gobbledygook"?

People may use "scientific-sounding gobbledygook" to make their claims or ideas seem more valid or to impress others with their supposed knowledge. It can also be used to intentionally deceive or confuse others.

3. How can I identify "scientific-sounding gobbledygook"?

One way to identify "scientific-sounding gobbledygook" is to look for specific scientific terms or jargon that are used out of context or in a way that doesn't make sense. It may also be helpful to do some research and fact-check the claims being made.

4. Is all "scientific-sounding gobbledygook" false or misleading?

Not necessarily. While some "scientific-sounding gobbledygook" may be intentionally deceptive or meaningless, other times it may be used by individuals who genuinely believe in their claims but lack a proper understanding of scientific concepts.

5. How can we combat the use of "scientific-sounding gobbledygook"?

The best way to combat "scientific-sounding gobbledygook" is to educate ourselves and others about scientific principles and terminology. It's also important to be critical and fact-check claims that seem too good to be true or use complex language without proper explanation or evidence.

Back