Science Requirement - class choice

In summary: Either class is an option (I'm in Chem 103 right now...Essentials of General and Organic Chem - a really basic, beginner course).Unless you're interested in life-science, I'd go with General chem. You might learn something about chemical kinetics, electrochemistry, nuclear chemistry, and thermodynamics (applied to chemistry) in that class, which might be useful to know as a physics major.Caveat: I'm not a physics major.
AkGirl
For the degree I'm working towards (B.S. Math, minor Physics) I have to take 2 semesters of 2 different sciences. Obviously, physics will cover one of the sciences...

I'm currently taking a chemistry class. I'm not finding it very interesting. Should I just go ahead and do a second chemistry class to fulfill the requirement or should I take 2 semesters of astronomy? (Couldn't get into the class last time - filled up too fast - now I know!).

I just can't decide...would thoroughly enjoy astronomy...but it would add more work/cost.

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
So you need a sequence of "different" sciences? Personally, I would just suck it up and take the second semester of chemistry unless you're not doing well in it. Ask yourself how much an extra class is worth to you.

I'm doing well in the chemistry class...just find it very dull. Astronomy would be interesting/fun. Yes, it would be a lot more work to switch...not to mention the cost! That's why I'm hesitant... :confused:

AkGirl said:
I'm doing well in the chemistry class...just find it very dull. Astronomy would be interesting/fun. Yes, it would be a lot more work to switch...not to mention the cost! That's why I'm hesitant... :confused:

For what it's worth, the physics major at my school requires two semesters of chem. I think chem is a pretty traditional requirement, so it might be best just to stick with it.

kote said:
For what it's worth, the physics major at my school requires two semesters of chem. I think chem is a pretty traditional requirement, so it might be best just to stick with it.

Good to know! Sounds like it might be best to keep going with chem...

Appreciate the input! :smile:

If looking solely at chemistry - which would be better:

Chem 104 - Intro to biochem
Chem 105 - General chem

Either class is an option (I'm in Chem 103 right now...Essentials of General and Organic Chem - a really basic, beginner course).

Unless you're interested in life-science, I'd go with General chem. You might learn something about chemical kinetics, electrochemistry, nuclear chemistry, and thermodynamics (applied to chemistry) in that class, which might be useful to know as a physics major.

Caveat: I'm not a physics major.

For a physics major, general chem. would probably be more interesting, as it covers more info that would usually be in a physical chem. class than biochemistry.

Myself, I'd go for biochemistry, but I'm planning on majoring in biochem/medicinal chem., so my opinion may be a little biased. :biggrin:

AkGirl said:
For the degree I'm working towards (B.S. Math, minor Physics) I have to take 2 semesters of 2 different sciences. Obviously, physics will cover one of the sciences...

I'm currently taking a chemistry class. I'm not finding it very interesting. Should I just go ahead and do a second chemistry class to fulfill the requirement or should I take 2 semesters of astronomy? (Couldn't get into the class last time - filled up too fast - now I know!).

I just can't decide...would thoroughly enjoy astronomy...but it would add more work/cost.

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:

The astronomy classes I've had were both VERY basic and easy...but rather fun. They were sort of along the lines of watching "the Universe" on the History channel. lol

If you enjoy lab work at all, I remember having a lot of fun in Organic Chemistry and also Microbiology labs. (mostly from doing 'non-lab' projects...things like making thiol-alcohol and seeing if anyone could actually take a drink without their nose plugged...if anyone could drink enough to get drunk off of it, they would be elected Lord-supreme of stupid dares)

Related to Science Requirement - class choice

1. What is the purpose of the science requirement in college?

The purpose of the science requirement in college is to ensure that students have a well-rounded education by exposing them to various scientific concepts and principles. This requirement also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in any career path.

2. Can I choose any science class to fulfill this requirement?

It depends on your college or university's specific requirements. Some institutions may have a list of approved science courses that students can choose from, while others may allow students to select any science class as long as it meets certain criteria, such as having a lab component.

3. What is considered a science class for this requirement?

A science class for this requirement typically includes courses in biology, chemistry, physics, geology, astronomy, or environmental science. However, some colleges may also consider courses in psychology, anthropology, or computer science as fulfilling the science requirement.

4. Can I use AP or IB science credits to fulfill this requirement?

Again, this may vary depending on your college's policies. Some institutions may accept AP or IB science credits as fulfilling the science requirement, while others may only give elective credit. It's best to check with your academic advisor or registrar's office for clarification.

5. Do I have to take a lab with my science class?

In most cases, yes. Many colleges require students to take a science class with a lab component to fulfill the science requirement. This is because labs provide hands-on experience and allow students to apply the concepts they learn in class. However, some institutions may offer non-lab science classes, so it's important to check with your college's requirements.