Science in the Looking Glass by E. Brian Davies

In summary, the conversation discusses a book that the speakers find irritating and lacking in substance. The book delves into the existence of numbers and covers various areas of math and science, but is filled with unexplained formulas, references to other books, and uninteresting historical quotes. The speaker also mentions the author's narcissistic writing style and gives a low rating for the book, with the exception of one interesting optical illusion. Overall, the speakers do not recommend the book and suggest it may be better suited for the self-help section as a cure for insomnia.
tribdog
Some people must get to write books simply because someone owes them a favor. I'm pretty sure if I went to a publisher and said, "I'm writting a book about high level math, without resorting to actually using math, for people who aren't all that interested in math." My publisher would place it in the same pile as my book of poetry, "What rhymes with Bum."
Maybe someone more interested in math than me would enjoy this book, but I don't think so. It is just full of things I find irritating:
1)He'll mention formulas by name, without giving the actual formula in the text. You have to go to the footnotes.
2)Several times he mentions a subject, then says he's not going to explain it because it has already been explained in other books.
3)Says things like, "It is easy to find examples of this." Then doesn't find any examples.
4)Picks the most BORING historical quotes.
5)It is written like a textbook, only without the drama.
6)He writes like Narcissus, constantly referring to "I did this," and "I did that." I..I..I. This bothers me and is not something I think I would ever resort to because I am more secure in the way I write, I am.

Basically this book's starting theme is whether numbers actually exist or if they are just an invention of ours. He then moves on to many different areas of math and science. These subjects' common theme seems to be areas the author can find something to disagree with.

One reason to get the book is to see someone take topics like, "optical illusions, quantum theory and theories of the mind" (you know, cool stuff) and turn in into sleep inducing discussions about Turing Machines. "And if we could build an infinite Turing Machine that didn't collapse into a black hole we would be able calculate the square root of 5 blah blah blah"
If I had to give this book a rating I would probably say "73" but I have to give it an extra 1 1/2 stars for the cool optical illusion on page 8. So my final score is 7 out of B.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, you're saying it should be sold in the self-help section as a way to cure insomnia? :biggrin:

It's unfortunate that you didn't find this book engaging or interesting, but it's important to remember that everyone has different interests and preferences. Just because this book didn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. The author may have a different writing style and approach that may not resonate with you, but that doesn't mean it's not valuable for others.

Also, it's important to recognize that writing a book takes a lot of time, effort, and expertise. It's not something that can be done easily or just because someone owes a favor. The author may have a deep understanding and passion for the subject matter, even if it doesn't come across in a way that you appreciate.

In addition, it's not fair to judge a book solely based on your personal preferences and expectations. The author may have chosen to focus on certain aspects of the subject matter and not others, and that's their prerogative as the author. And while it's understandable that you may have found some aspects of the book irritating, it's important to approach it with an open mind and try to understand the author's perspective.

Overall, it's fine to have a negative opinion about a book, but it's important to recognize that it may hold value for others and that the author has put in a lot of effort to write it. It's always good to provide constructive criticism and feedback, but it's also important to be respectful and acknowledge the hard work that goes into writing a book.

Related to Science in the Looking Glass by E. Brian Davies

1. What is the main focus of "Science in the Looking Glass" by E. Brian Davies?

The main focus of "Science in the Looking Glass" is the philosophy of science and how it relates to our understanding of the world.

2. Who is E. Brian Davies and what is his background?

E. Brian Davies is a British philosopher and professor emeritus at King's College London. He has published widely in the fields of logic and the philosophy of science.

3. What are some of the key concepts discussed in "Science in the Looking Glass"?

Some key concepts discussed in the book include the scientific method, the role of observation and experimentation, the nature of scientific theories and laws, and the relationship between science and society.

4. How does "Science in the Looking Glass" challenge traditional views of science?

The book challenges the traditional view of science as a purely objective and value-free pursuit. It argues that science is influenced by social and cultural factors and that its findings are not always certain or absolute.

5. What are some criticisms of "Science in the Looking Glass"?

One criticism of the book is that it focuses too much on the philosophical aspects of science and does not give enough attention to the actual practice of science. Some also argue that the book's views on the social and cultural influences on science are too extreme and do not fully reflect the reality of scientific research.