Schools focused only on teaching mathematics?

In summary, there are some schools out there that is entirely focused into teaching mathematics, particularly those for preparing students to become research mathematicians. However, this type of school would not be as competitive as other universities and would not attract great research professors.
ZComet
Is there any schools out there that is entirely focused into teaching mathematics, particularly those for preparing students to become research mathematicians?

I found one so far which is Independent University of Moscow.
http://ium.mccme.ru/english/

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some(private) high schools which is for future mathematicians.

For higher education, there are several universities with STRONG math departments.
Why do you want an only-math school? Can't all subjects live in harmony?

Oh...just for curiosity's sake. Besides, I like the idea of mathematics-only schools because they are very likely to be small, allowing closer interaction between students and teachers. My ideal size is around 300-500.

ZComet said:
Oh...just for curiosity's sake. Besides, I like the idea of mathematics-only schools because they are very likely to be small, allowing closer interaction between students and teachers. My ideal size is around 300-500.

Although I can't say I see anything terribly wrong with this at the undergrad level, such a school could never be competitive on a grad level and thus would not attract great research professors. However, in my experience, the best undergrad teaching is done by non-research oriented profs. So for those 3 years it may be a good idea except for the fact that the 4th year of an undergrad program is usually dominated by an undergrad research project.

Some might argue that parts of Cambridge are kingdoms unto their own entirely dedicated to Maths...
:-)

Sankaku said:
Some might argue that parts of Cambridge are kingdoms unto their own entirely dedicated to Maths...
:-)

Cambridge isn't the only school to use a college system.

How about BMS?

Pinu7 said:
I won't count research facilities "schools."
No, you are absolutely right. It was a joke. A weak one, I admit.

I was trying to point out that there are many universities that may not be entirely dedicated to Maths, but still have a huge and extremely strong department...

Related to Schools focused only on teaching mathematics?

1. What is the purpose of schools focused only on teaching mathematics?

The purpose of these schools is to provide a specialized and intensive education in mathematics, with the goal of producing students who are highly skilled in this subject.

2. How do these schools differ from traditional schools that teach a variety of subjects?

Schools focused on teaching mathematics have a curriculum that is solely focused on mathematics, with little to no emphasis on other subjects. They also typically have smaller class sizes and more specialized teachers.

3. Are these schools only for students who excel in math?

No, while these schools do cater to students who show a strong aptitude for math, they also welcome students who may not be as advanced but have a strong interest in the subject and are willing to work hard to improve.

4. How do schools focused on teaching mathematics prepare students for future careers?

These schools provide students with a strong foundation in mathematics, which is a highly sought-after skill in many industries such as engineering, finance, and technology. They also teach critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in any career.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to attending a school focused on teaching mathematics?

Some potential drawbacks include a lack of exposure to other subjects and a potential imbalance in a student's education. Additionally, these schools may have a more intense and rigorous curriculum, which can be overwhelming for some students.