Scholarship Opportunities for PhD in Mathematics at Cambridge University

In summary, ModusPonens is looking into applying for a Phd in mathematics at Cambridge and is wondering about the difficulty of obtaining a scholarship. They have not yet applied for a Phd but are considering it for after their masters degree. ModusPonens has been advised to look for potential research projects rather than directly applying to the university and has been directed to the faculty of Mathematics website and the funding resources available.
ModusPonens
Hello

I have been entertaining the idea of applying for a phd in mathematics in Cambridge (when the time comes). Now, how hard is it to get a schollarship to Cambridge? Forgive me the imprecision of the question, but maybe that way it will generate more interesting answers.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not having applied for a Phd yet I cannot give you that great advice but I may well be applying for one after my masters and did think about applying for one this year so I have a little bit of experience.

I'm not sure how much you have looked into this but when you are applying for a Phd you don't really apply to a university in the same way you more look for people who are researching/offering research projects that you are interested in.

On good place to look for Phd projects are graduate schools which seem like they offer a bit more support for Phd students but there are not many of these and they seem to be mostly focused on applied mathematics (I know Lancaster has a good one) but in saying that Cambridge do have a doctoral training center focused on analysis, I think it's called Cambridge center for analysis.

Hope that helps.

ModusPonens said:
Hello

I have been entertaining the idea of applying for a phd in mathematics in Cambridge (when the time comes). Now, how hard is it to get a schollarship to Cambridge? Forgive me the imprecision of the question, but maybe that way it will generate more interesting answers.

Thank you in advance.

Hi ModusPonens, :)

The best place to get an idea about what it requires to be accepted for a Phd in Cambridge is the faculty of Mathematics website. Here's the link,

Faculty of Mathematics Ph.D. Degree

I don't think I have to explain anything in detail as the above link has all the information that you should know before you apply for a Phd in Cambridge. :) For the purpose of funding your studies you should refer the following,

Funding Your Studies: : Graduate Admissions

Related to Scholarship Opportunities for PhD in Mathematics at Cambridge University

1. What are the eligibility criteria for a PhD scholarship in mathematics at Cambridge University?

To be eligible for a PhD scholarship in mathematics at Cambridge University, you must have completed a Master's degree in mathematics or a related field with a high academic standing. You must also have a strong research proposal and meet the English language requirements.

2. What is the application process for a PhD scholarship at Cambridge University?

The application process for a PhD scholarship at Cambridge University involves submitting an online application form, along with all required documents such as transcripts, reference letters, and a research proposal. You may also be required to attend an interview or submit additional materials, depending on the department's requirements.

3. Are there any specific scholarships available for international students pursuing a PhD in mathematics at Cambridge University?

Yes, Cambridge University offers a variety of scholarships specifically for international students pursuing a PhD in mathematics. These include the Cambridge International Scholarships, Gates Cambridge Scholarships, and various departmental and college-specific scholarships. Eligibility criteria and application processes may vary for each scholarship.

4. Can I apply for multiple scholarships at Cambridge University for my PhD in mathematics?

Yes, you can apply for multiple scholarships at Cambridge University for your PhD in mathematics. However, you may need to specify your preferred scholarship in your application form, and some scholarships may have specific eligibility criteria or restrictions on applying for other scholarships.

5. Are there any opportunities for funding or financial support during my PhD studies at Cambridge University?

Yes, there are various opportunities for funding and financial support during your PhD studies at Cambridge University. In addition to scholarships, you may also be eligible for research grants, teaching assistantships, or other forms of financial support offered by your department or college. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in your studies.