Scholarship Essays: Get Insight into What Committees Look For

• Thread starter sydneyfranke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scholarship
In summary, these essays are 1500 character maximum and there are only 3 allowed for this scholarship. If you go over this limit, it can be a problem.
sydneyfranke
Just a quick question. I have some essays to write for this scholarship and I just wanted to maybe get some insight into what committees often look for.

I have 3 of the five written so far, and I really just tried to be genuine and personable. Is this a wise route or should I go more strict and direct?

Also, there is a maximum character for these essays. 3 are 1500 character and 2 are 1000 character (I don't know why they call these essays, that's barely a paragraph). Anyways, I've gone over on pretty much all of them. Its an electronic application and the text box counts spaces as a character. Is this going to be a problem? I think its going to take me longer to shorten it that it did to write the darn thing. One I'm about 300 characters over (1500 max) and the other around 120 over (1500 max), and I got the other one down to 51 characters (1000 max). Is this something that is going to be frowned upon? I realize they have quite a few to read and so they don't have time to read some sap's life story, but I don't really know how to shorten these up any more without making them seem incomplete. But I don't want to come off right out the gate as someone who can't follow instructions.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say what these particular committees will look for, but what you have to remember is that everyone else is in the same boat. If it's an electronic form that counts characters, chances are it's got a filter that will exclude anyone who goes over - not always, but you know, if I had to read a hundred essays, I'd be using the filter to chuck any that went over.

So that means you're stuck trimming your answers down. If you can't explain your answer in the space given and cutting out words here and there doesn't work, try starting over from scratch. Figure out the single most important point you need to communicate for each answer and build from there. Often what seems necessary really is not.

If that's still not working, try a completely different answer. Remember not to aim for the absolute optimal answer to the question, but the optimal answer you can give under the conditions of your reply.

Excellent point. Thanks.

Related to Scholarship Essays: Get Insight into What Committees Look For

1. What is the purpose of a scholarship essay?

The purpose of a scholarship essay is to provide the committee with a glimpse into who you are as a person, your goals, and your potential for success. It allows the committee to get to know you beyond your academic achievements and extracurricular activities.

2. What do scholarship committees look for in an essay?

Scholarship committees look for several things in an essay, including a clear and concise writing style, a well-developed and unique perspective, and a strong connection to the scholarship's specific criteria and goals. They also look for evidence of your motivation, determination, and potential for future success.

3. How important is the structure and format of a scholarship essay?

The structure and format of a scholarship essay are crucial as they help to organize your thoughts and make your essay easy to read and understand. It is essential to follow the guidelines provided by the scholarship committee, as they often have specific requirements for the essay's length, font, and margins.

4. Can I reuse the same essay for multiple scholarship applications?

It is not recommended to reuse the same essay for multiple scholarship applications. Each scholarship has its own specific criteria and goals, so it is essential to tailor your essay to fit each one. This shows the committee that you have taken the time to understand their scholarship and have put effort into your application.

5. How can I make my scholarship essay stand out?

To make your scholarship essay stand out, you should focus on showcasing your unique qualities, experiences, and goals. Be honest, genuine, and specific in your writing. Avoid cliches and generic statements, and instead, use vivid examples and personal anecdotes to make your essay memorable. Additionally, proofreading and editing your essay carefully can also help to make it stand out.