Scalar's form of Coulomb's Law

In summary: I don't know, I think the term "scalar form" may have been chosen because it's a shortened form of "magnitude form" and it's easier to remember.
PFStudent
Title: Scalar form of Coulomb's Law?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law

Vector Form:

[tex]
\vec{F}_{12} = {\frac{{{k}_{e}}{{q}_{1}}{{q}_{2}}}{{r}^{2}}{\hat{r}_{21}}}
[/tex]

Magnitude Form:

[tex]
|\vec{F}_{12}| = {\frac{{{k}_{e}}{\left|{q}_{1}\right|}{\left|{q}_{2}\right|}}{{r}^{2}}}
[/tex]

So, what is the scalar form of Coulomb's Law?

In addition, when is the scalar form of Coulomb's Law negative?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
{F}_{12} = {\pm}{\frac{{{k}_{e}}{\left|{q}_{1}\right|}{\left|{q}_{2}\right|}}{{r}^{2}}}
[/tex]

Where: [itex]+[/itex] if [itex]{{q}_{1}}{{q}_{2}} \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]-[/itex] if [itex]{{q}_{1}}{{q}_{2}} < 0[/itex]

I thought it was the above, but I do not believe that is right.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Physics news on Phys.org
The "scalar" form of Coulomb's law is the same as what you've called the "magnitude" form. It's used for calculating the magnitude of the force. (At least that's how I've always used the terms.)

Hey,

Doc Al said:
The "scalar" form of Coulomb's law is the same as what you've called the "magnitude" form. It's used for calculating the magnitude of the force. (At least that's how I've always used the terms.)

So, the "Scalar form of Coulomb's Law" is really a misnomer then, as the word “scalar” implys that the result can be positive or negative, however because of how the "scalar" form of Coulomb's Law is written this cannot be. Then in reality there really is no "scalar" form of Coulomb's Law, because that would imply that the result could be negative, but as you have pointed out that cannot be.

So, then consider the [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components of Coulomb's Law.

[tex]
{\vec{F}_{12}} = {F}_{{12}_{x}}{\hat{i}} + {F}_{{12}_{y}}{\hat{j}}
[/tex]

Are they given by,

[tex]
{{F}_{{12}_{x}}} = {\left|{\vec{F}_{12}}\right|}{{cos}{\theta}_{12}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{F}_{{12}_{y}}} = {\left|{\vec{F}_{12}}\right|}{{sin}{\theta}_{12}}
[/tex]

Or are they given by,

[tex]
{{F}_{{12}_{x}}} = {{F}_{12}}{{cos}{\theta}_{12}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{F}_{{12}_{y}}} = {{F}_{12}}{{sin}{\theta}_{12}}
[/tex]

Note that for the two above equations, the sign of [itex]{F}_{12}[/itex] depends on the product of [itex]{{q}_{1}}{{q}_{2}}[/itex].

Thanks for the reply Doc Al.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

ambiguous notation

PFStudent said:
Note that for the two above equations, the sign of [itex]{F}_{12}[/itex] depends on the product of [itex]{{q}_{1}}{{q}_{2}}[/itex].
If you use [itex]{F}_{12}[/itex] to stand for the magnitude of [itex]\vec{F}_{12}[/itex], then I see no difference in your equations and [itex]{F}_{12}[/itex] would not depend on the signs of the charges.

Doc Al said:
If you use [itex]{F}_{12}[/itex] to stand for the magnitude of [itex]\vec{F}_{12}[/itex], then I see no difference in your equations and [itex]{F}_{12}[/itex] would not depend on the signs of the charges.

Ahh...ok, makes things much clearer now.

So, out of curiosity why do (most) physics textbooks refer to a "Scalar Form" of Coulomb's when that is really sort of incorrect?

Thanks for the clarification, Doc Al.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Related to Scalar's form of Coulomb's Law

1. What is Scalar's form of Coulomb's Law?

The scalar form of Coulomb's Law is a simplified version of the original formula, which describes the force between two point charges. It only takes into account the magnitudes of the charges and the distance between them, disregarding their direction and the medium they are in.

2. How is Scalar's form of Coulomb's Law different from the original formula?

The original formula for Coulomb's Law includes vector quantities, such as the direction of the force and the permittivity of the medium. In the scalar form, these are not considered, making the calculation easier and more straightforward.

3. What is the equation for Scalar's form of Coulomb's Law?

The equation is F = k * (|q1| * |q2|) / r^2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between them.

4. Can Scalar's form of Coulomb's Law be used for both like and unlike charges?

Yes, the scalar form of Coulomb's Law can be used for both like and unlike charges. The equation takes into account the magnitudes of the charges, so it does not matter if they are of the same or opposite sign.

5. What are the advantages of using Scalar's form of Coulomb's Law?

The scalar form of Coulomb's Law is simpler and easier to use, as it does not require vector calculations. It is also more useful for situations where the direction of the force is not important, such as when dealing with point charges. Additionally, it can still provide accurate results for most practical applications.