Sakurai as a first course in QM

In summary, the conversation is about a junior undergraduate considering doing an independent study with Sakurai's book instead of taking the introductory quantum mechanics course. They have already had some exposure to quantum mechanics and are having no difficulty understanding Sakurai's book. However, there are concerns about the difficulty of the book and the possibility of missing important concepts. It is advised to not judge the entire book based on just the first few chapters and to consider taking a graduate level quantum mechanics course if available. The undergrad books may be good for introducing basic concepts, but Sakurai's book may provide a better understanding of quantum mechanics.
capandbells
I'm a junior undergraduate who has yet to take quantum mechanics, although I did have a brief introduction to basic wave mechanics (square well, harmonic oscillator, tunneling, the hydrogen atom, etc.) in "modern physics" course. I've also watched and taken notes from the Quantum Mechanics lectures from Oxford that have been posted on iTunes, and found I understood them reasonably well. I checked Sakurai's book out from the library and have been going through the first two chapters, and I am having no difficulty in understanding it.
I am considering asking my department if I could do an independent study with Sakurai's book in lieu of the introductory quantum mechanics course, which I think uses Griffiths or Liboff. Does this seem like a reasonable idea? Would I be missing anything terribly important? Should I just bite the bullet and take the other course?

Physics news on Phys.org
capandbells said:
I am considering asking my department if I could do an independent study with Sakurai's book in lieu of the introductory quantum mechanics course, which I think uses Griffiths or Liboff.

It doesn't hurt to ask, of course, and different schools are likely to have different policies on this sort of thing. Here, we generally don't allow students to substitute an independent study for a catalog-listed course on the same subject, unless there is no way they can fit the official course into their schedule without postponing their graduation.

capandbells said:
I am considering asking my department if I could do an independent study with Sakurai's book in lieu of the introductory quantum mechanics course, which I think uses Griffiths or Liboff. Does this seem like a reasonable idea? Would I be missing anything terribly important? Should I just bite the bullet and take the other course?

Sakurai is usually considered a graduate level course so if your university offers graduate level QM, you might want to consider taking that. Universities tend to make it difficult to do independent study, so you can ask, but the answer will probably be no, in which case, you can take the undergraduate course and the read Sakurai on the side.

capandbells said:
I checked Sakurai's book out from the library and have been going through the first two chapters, and I am having no difficulty in understanding it.

I don't remember Sakurai's book (modern quantum mechanics) very well and I have gone just through part of it, but from what i do remember I advise you to not judge the whole book from first 2 (or even 3) chapters. That book was finished after author's death and I think it reflected on the content quite negatively. Though I may be biased as I had to be reading it in quite a hurry.

FroChro said:
I don't remember Sakurai's book (modern quantum mechanics) very well and I have gone just through part of it, but from what i do remember I advise you to not judge the whole book from first 2 (or even 3) chapters. That book was finished after author's death and I think it reflected on the content quite negatively. Though I may be biased as I had to be reading it in quite a hurry.

I think the first 4 chapters are great, and I had no problems with Chapter 7 on identical particles.

However, the chapters on scattering and time independent perturbation theory were much harder to read. You could tell Sakurai did not write them all himself. Overall the book is good and I think it's worth reading the 5 good chapters and the sections on Time dependent perturbation theory. However, be aware that other parts of the book are extremely trying at times.

If you truly have no problem understanding and following Sakurai, then definitely go with that. The undergrad books (e.g. Grifiths) are great for introducing basic results and phenomena, but don't necessarily do quantum the "right way" (e.g. invoking the full power of Dirac notation and actually deriving the Schrödinger equation). One caveat though; Sakurai has, as an appendix, a summary (equations w/o proof or much discussion) of elementary solutions of the Schrödinger equation. You should be able to derive all of those equations without much problem. If you cannot, then I would suggest an undergrad book as a supplement for those solutions.

Related to Sakurai as a first course in QM

What is Sakurai as a first course in QM?

Sakurai as a first course in QM refers to the textbook "Modern Quantum Mechanics" written by Jun John Sakurai. It is often used as a first course in quantum mechanics for undergraduate and graduate level students.

Is Sakurai as a first course in QM suitable for beginners?

While Sakurai's textbook can be challenging for beginners, it is often used as a first course in QM because it provides a thorough and comprehensive introduction to the subject. It is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and classical mechanics before studying quantum mechanics using this textbook.

What sets Sakurai as a first course in QM apart from other textbooks?

Sakurai's textbook is known for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its inclusion of modern topics such as quantum information and quantum computation. It also provides numerous examples and exercises for students to practice and apply their understanding of the material.

Can Sakurai as a first course in QM be used for self-study?

Yes, Sakurai's textbook can be used for self-study as it provides a comprehensive introduction to quantum mechanics and includes numerous examples and exercises for self-assessment. However, it is recommended to seek guidance from a professor or tutor if possible.

What level of mathematics is required for studying Sakurai as a first course in QM?

A strong background in mathematics is necessary for studying quantum mechanics using Sakurai's textbook. This includes knowledge of linear algebra, differential equations, and complex numbers. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.