Rotational Mechanics Problem (Rotating solid wooden disk)

In summary, the wooden disk is rotating at a rate of 3.69 rad/s and a metal block is placed on it. The new angular velocity is 4.02 rad/s and the block is just about to slide. The friction between the block and the disk is 2.26 N and the new rotational kinetic energy is 1.23 J.
savva
I have the working for part d) but I don't understand certain parts, so my problems lie with part d), f) and g)

Homework Statement

3. A solid wooden disk is suspended as shown: it has mass 7.70 kg and radius
0.219 m . It is rotated from rest about its vertical axis, reaching an angular velocity of 3.69 rad/s in 15.1 s.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2u9mgzs.jpg

Calculate
(a) the average angular acceleration
(b) the angular momentum.
(c) the rotational kinetic energy

A 0.17 kg metal block is gently placed on the disk 0.140 m from the rotational axis.
(d) Show that the new angular velocity is 3.62 rad/s
(e) Calculate the new rotational kinetic energy.

The wooden cylinder is very slowly accelerated, and when the new angular velocity is 4.02 rad/s the block is just about to slide.

Calculate
(f) the frictional force on the block.
(g) the coefficient of static friction μs between the block and the disk.

Homework Equations

a = [itex]\Delta[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]/[itex]\Delta[/itex]t
I(Disk) = MR^2/2
L=I[itex]\omega[/itex]
Krot = 1/2I[itex]\omega[/itex]^2
W2 = I/I2 x [itex]\omega[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) a = [itex]\Delta[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]/[itex]\Delta[/itex]t = 3.69/15.1 = 0.244 rad/s^2

(b)
I(Disk) = MR^2/2 = (7.70x0.219^2)/2 = 0.185 kg m^2
L=I[itex]\omega[/itex] = 0.185x3.69 = 0.681 kg m^2 s^-1

(c) Krot = 1/2I[itex]\omega[/itex]^2 = 1/2(0.185)(3.69)^2 = 1.257J

(d)
I know L1 = L2, can we prove that this is the case if we didn't have given the value of angular velocity?
[itex]\tau[/itex]NET = 0 (Not sure how I can prove this)

I2 = I1 + MR^2 (Inertia of block)
I2 = 0.185 + 0.17(0.14)^2 = 0.188 kg m^2

[itex]\omega[/itex]2 = (I1/I2)x[itex]\omega[/itex] = (0.185/0.188)x3.69 = 3.62 rad/s

(e)
Krot = 1/2I[itex]\omega[/itex]^2 = 1/2(0.188)(3.62)^2 = 1.23J

(f) & (g) no idea how to work out, can anyone please give me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Although the wooden disk is rotating, the block's motion is circular, that means there must be a force (centripetal force) that keeps it going in circles. In this particular example, it's the friction.

Fμ = v2 / R

Last edited:
I tried using the formula given a few different ways, but can't seem to get the correct answer:

so, Fμ = v^2 / R

using v=ωr = 4.02x0.14 = 0.5628 ms^-1

We have R = 0.14m from previous part

Subbing that in we get

Fμ = (0.5628)^2/0.14 = 2.26N

The answer for this part is 0.385N

Why am I not getting this answer? :frown:

savva said:
I tried using the formula given a few different ways, but can't seem to get the correct answer:

so, Fμ = v^2 / R

using v=ωr = 4.02x0.14 = 0.5628 ms^-1

We have R = 0.14m from previous part

Subbing that in we get

Fμ = (0.5628)^2/0.14 = 2.26N

The answer for this part is 0.385N

Why am I not getting this answer? :frown:

Sorry my fault..

It's fμ = m v2/r

I forgot to mention the mass. :-p Newton's law is F = ma after all, and the acceleration in this one is the centripetal acceleration that keeps the block moving in circles a = v^2/rNow that you know the friction, you should be able to calculate the coefficient of fiction

Yep, I got both answers correct now. I'll post up my working tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help!

Related to Rotational Mechanics Problem (Rotating solid wooden disk)

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the motion and dynamics of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How does a rotating solid wooden disk behave?

A rotating solid wooden disk behaves similarly to any other rotating object in that it follows the laws of rotational motion. It will experience a tangential acceleration due to the application of a torque, and its angular velocity and angular acceleration will depend on its moment of inertia and the applied torque.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation and then adding all of these values together. It is denoted by the symbol I and has units of kg·m².

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a wooden disk?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational motion of a wooden disk by determining how much torque is needed to produce a given angular acceleration. The larger the moment of inertia, the greater the torque needed to achieve a certain angular acceleration. This means that objects with a larger moment of inertia will rotate more slowly than objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. Can the rotational motion of a wooden disk be affected by external forces?

Yes, the rotational motion of a wooden disk can be affected by external forces, such as friction or air resistance. These forces can cause a change in the angular velocity or angular acceleration of the disk, and may also cause it to wobble or tilt off its axis of rotation.